Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest? Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020

Poll results: Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?
Voter(s): 36
Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
Prince Caspian (PC)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)  -  votes: 9 / 25%
25%
The Silver Chair (SC)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)  -  votes: 8 / 22.2%
22.2%
The Last Battle (LB)  -  votes: 6 / 16.7%
16.7%

[Sticky] Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Page 9 / 12
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

This list was not surprisingly incredibly hard to choose.

1. SC
2. HHB
3. VDT
4. MN
5. PC
6. LWW
7. LB

IMO The Last Battle is still a great read but it's a weak finish to the series. Narnia is a world with histories, civilisations, wars, and vast territories. There are so many stories and adventures and we only got a few. This is why the 'Real Narnia' feels like a mistake. That place can never be Narnia for me, without conflict or danger. Without any of these things you can't have a story. And without a stories there is no Narnia.

SC is my favourite book because of its rich characters and a beautifully structured plot. I can relate to Jill struggle, with being bullied and having a difficult time trusting anyone because of the fear of being betrayed. Then there is Puddleglum... Enough Said.

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2013 12:39 pm
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

The Last Battle. The story moves swiftly, and has a lot of Revelations to it. So here.
LB.
LWW
VDT
PC
SC
HHB
MN

Here for ya. ;)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 8, 2014 3:51 pm
Narnian1993
(@narnian1993)
NarniaWeb Regular

1. VDT
2. LWW
3. SC
4. LB
5. HHB
6. PC
7. MN

(Side note, I haven't been on this site in a long time, but I'm looking forward to coming back and entering the discussions again! I missed this so, so much!)

~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2014 3:23 pm
PhelanVelvel
(@phelanvelvel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I find it interesting that many people, like me, ranked The Last Battle as, well...last. Or second to last. The Susan thing always bothered me, but I believe that she lives her life as a good person and makes it to Narnia in the end.

I also find it interesting that so many people ranked Prince Caspian on the low side. I gave it sixth on my list, but I honestly did still like it. Other people seem to think it was very slow and bland, but it didn't feel that way to me. I liked the flashback where we're introduced to Caspian, but I have to agree with what Josh said about the partying on page four of this thread. I liked the bit with Bacchus and the liberation of the good people in Beruna, but I didn't like that Susan and Lucy, for the second book in a row, got left out of the action and went off to frolic.

In LWW they ride off with Aslan to free the statues, which was pretty cool--but they do miss the battle. In PC, once again, they ride off with Aslan to free people and Peter, Caspian, and Edmund must sort the ugly stuff out. It started looking like a pattern as to what girls were allowed to do in Narnia, so that threw me off. Tsk tsk. If they had gotten to contribute to things in the Howe in some way (as they did in the film!), I would have a different feeling about the book, I think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2014 5:52 pm
Aslans Daughter
(@aslans-daughter)
NarniaWeb Newbie

My favourite book from the Chronicles is LWW. I like that they Pevensie's are entering a new land and discovering new things. The rest of the rankings are as follows...
2.VDT
3.PC
4.SC
5.LB
6.MN
7.HHB

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2014 7:10 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

1. The Horse and His Boy--I think how much I like this book is influenced by the fact that, unlike the first four books, I didn't have the BBC versions to watch over and over when I was too young to read the book for myself. ;)) So, the first time I remember hearing the story, I was old enough to actually understand it, without remembering anything about the ending. I also love this book for the characters (Shasta and Aravis are among my favorite characters in the entire series), the ability to see more of the Narnian world--especially from the perspective of those who actually lives there!--and because my favorite passage in the series is when Aslan describes to Shasta why he is not "unfortunate". :) I love, love this book.

2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader--as will become apparent, I love the chance to explore the Narnian world, and VDT has this in abundance. :P :) I enjoy the unique adventures and places that our characters visit (and, contrary to what some people may say, I don't need some kind of "saving the world" quest to justify it ;) ), especially since, twice, we get a few more tantalizing details about one of my favorite Narnian mysteries--the nature of stars in the Narnian world. Besides that, Lucy and Edmund are my favorite of the Pevensies, and I love Eustace's character arc, so a book that focuses on them is a very good thing.

3. The Magician's Nephew--Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why this book ranks so highly on my list, especially considering how relatively little of it takes place in Narnia itself. I think, again, it has to do with the fact that I actually remember understanding this story for the first time, as well as the chance to explore more of the Narnian world. Besides that, it seems like you so rarely get a story about a world's beginning, especially one with so many beautiful descriptions that make you feel like you're there, experiencing the wonder and peace of watching a world being born.

4. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe--When I was younger, this book probably would have rated higher on the list. I think the fact that I have seen this story so many times that... well, it hasn't lost its magic, but I've already explored so much of it throughout my childhood. Nonetheless, I still love the story, and it will always have the benefit of being my first adventure in this amazing world. :)

5. The Silver Chair--I like Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum, but aside from that, I think the story crawls along a bit too much. The parts where they're wandering, seemingly aimlessly and off of the path Aslan gave them, seem to be twice as long as they really are. But, this book has grown on me since I was younger, and perhaps it will continue to do so as I get older. :) And having Puddleglum certainly helps its position. ;)

6. The Last Battle--for a long time, this book would have been last on the list. While it does end joyously, it's still hard to forget how much of this book revolves around a hopeless future for Narnia, with all the characters either deceived or utterly outmatched. But, as I've gotten older, I've gotten more adjusted to the fact that, while what happens in the "shadow world" of Narnia is awful, the hope at the ending wins out. :) Besides, this book has Jewel and Poggin, which automatically makes it better. ;)

7. Prince Caspian--It doesn't help that in this book, the only place we see is Narnia itself, and the story revolves around taking Narnia back again. It almost feels like a re-tread of LWW, just with mildly different circumstances and new characters. Also, I enjoy the portrayals of Caspian and Reepicheep more in VDT than in this book. That is not to say that I don't like PC--I still love characters like Trufflehunter and Trumpkin, and the story is still engaging. It's only last on the list because the other books have something in them that I enjoy more.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2014 9:02 am
Future Narnian
(@future-narnian)
NarniaWeb Regular

I feel like I SHOULD say LWW is my favorite and it is for endings, followed by The Last Battle and The Silver Chair. But as far as the books in their entirety...

7) I know Horse & His Boy is my least favorite. I just find the Tashbaan stuff too draggy.

6) The Last Battle - I love the ending, but most of it is simply too sad and dark.

5) Prince Caspian - only because I don't like the long shift to Cadpian and away from the Pevensies. I like the way they alternated on the movie better. And the hag/werewolf scene was just too gross.

After that I think I'm going to have to read them again to decide!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2014 7:49 pm
Golg
 Golg
(@golg)
NarniaWeb Regular

This is going to be hard...

1) HHB: I just love the characters and settings of this book!
2) MN:Extremely close second. The mysteries behind Charn, the Wood, and even Mrs Lefay just make me love this. And Jadis's brief conquest of London was hysterical. =))
3-4) VDT: tied with LWW, I love sailing stories, and Eustace was just plane awesome.
3-4) LWW it has become a Winter tradition for me to read this by an open window covered in blankets. Don't judge...
5) SC: Puddleglum is awesome. Rilian is awesome. Green Lady is awesome. Just keep in mind, all of these books are VERY CLOSE on my list.
6) PC: I still love it, I have no real criticism with it, just not as much the others.
7) LB: A very good book with stunning apocalyptic visuals. But that ape... and that... that...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2014 7:06 pm
HazyHays
(@hazyhays)
NarniaWeb Regular

#1. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
#2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
#3. The Magician's Nephew
#4. The Silver Chair
#5. The Horse and His Boy
#6. Prince Caspian
#7. The Last Battle

My reasoning on The Lion, The With, and the Wardrobe is for one it was the book that started it all off for me. Mr. Tumnus is my favorite character and he is an amazing part of the story. Plus the story just never gets old for me. I can read over and over and it is always like I am reading something fresh.

"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2016 8:01 am
Valiant_Nymph
(@valiant_nymph)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. LWW is my favourite. It sparked my imagination and sense of adventure in a way no book really has since then. It inspired me to learn how to write (because I wanted more adventurous stories with Mr. Tumnus and the beavers, etc ). It just felt the most magical out of all the books.

2. HHB. I love the sense of adventure in this book. I also identified with Shasta's belief that he was made for more than the life he was living. And Aravis is one of my favourite characters in the series!

3. SC. Very exciting story. Loved the description of Underworld. Also loved the themes in this book.

4. LB. Sad story, but also inspiring. I found it epic!

5. MN. I thought the world between the worlds concept was really cool, loved Charn and enjoyed seeing the origins of Jadis and the Wardrobe.

6/7. I'm honestly not a fan of PC of VDT, although I'm not sure which one I'd rank better. I know PC is usually ranks low on people's list. I found the structure awkward, I wish Miraz was more developed as a villain. This might be horrible to other viewers but besides some cringe worthy bits (such as Suspian), I actually enjoyed the movie structure better (please don't hurt me!) :-s

So I know many people love DT. And I like some of the themes. But I really, really dislike episodic tales. So maybe this is a good book, but it just isn't my type of book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2018 7:27 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

You know it's funny... I'm reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to my kids for the first time....
I still think my favorite is The Silver Chair because there's so much in there that connects with me personally, but I think LWW is the best book and probably my second favorite. It's sooo good.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2018 1:33 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

As I've said elsewhere, if I had to choose, The Silver Chair would be tops for me. Part of this is that my favourite character in the Chronicles is Puddleglum. And I especially love the themes in that tale. But The Horse and His Boy comes mighty close, and the others, very close again. ;)) I do appreciate what Doug Gresham says, "My favourite Chronicle is the one I am reading at the time." I can relate to that. :)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2018 7:00 am
Sir Edmond the just
(@sir-edmond-the-just)
NarniaWeb Regular

MY favorite would have to be Magician's Nephew,

1. Magician's Nephew- I love learning about the creation of Narnia and

2. Its really hard to chose but i would have to say The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe-This was the first Narnia book i ever read so i would be drawn to this book, also I love the professor and all the pevensie kids.

3. As I said really hard to chose but i would say The Silver Chair-a lot of knew character but still some old ones very interest story.

4.The Horse and His Boy- first of all Best title ever, I love knowing what the pensive kids

5. The last battle-

6. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- This book use to be my lest favorite but after reading it for the 3rd time(just read it last night) it has moved up the rankings.

7. Prince Caspian -not much do i have to say about this book.

But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2019 6:47 am
JFG II
(@jfg-ii)
NarniaWeb Regular

Last but not least...

#7 Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia

And tying for 4th place...

#6 The Last Battle
#5 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

And tying for 3rd place...

#4 The Horse and His Boy
#3 The Magician’s Nephew

And the award almost went to...

#2 The Silver Chair

And the award goes to...

#1 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2019 11:14 am
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

LWW was the best! It started it all! Besides, I love the allegorical symbolism of Christ within it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2019 4:46 am
Page 9 / 12
Share: