Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest? Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020

Poll results: Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?
Voter(s): 36
Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
Prince Caspian (PC)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)  -  votes: 9 / 25%
25%
The Silver Chair (SC)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)  -  votes: 8 / 22.2%
22.2%
The Last Battle (LB)  -  votes: 6 / 16.7%
16.7%

[Sticky] Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Page 8 / 12
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I voted for The Silver Chair - Puddleglum is one reason why it's my favourite, but the whole scene towards the end where they try to resist the witch's magic, is just great. I also love Glimfeather the Owl :)

I didn't rank the others when I wrote this, so I'll rank them now.

2. LWW is a very close second. The introduction to Narnia - Aslan's sacrifice - the victory over the White Witch - great sections of the book. And I love Lewis' style.

3. PC is next - I love the beginning when they come back to Narnia and realize where they are, and enjoy finding their old treasures - and then how Prince Caspian get to learn about Old Narnia, and ends up finding it in hiding. And how the Pevensies help him get his rightful position.

The next ones are ranked different mostly for taste, and I might well disagree with myself next month ...

4. HHB
5. VDT
6. MN

(When I first read MN, I had recently discovered that there were more books than just LWW, I would just have to read them in the original English. And I wasn't sure Lewis could match his first book, so I bought only the first one to have a try.

I read it overnight and went back and bought all the other Chronicles the next day.
And that's the one I now rank as #6 ...)

7. LB is last because the first part of it is so heartbreakingly sad. Why don't the Narnians see through the Ape's lies?
I often skip that part and go straight to the fight outside the stable, and read the rest of the book from there.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 1:17 pm
Narnian_Badger
(@nbadger)
Mushroom mushroom Hospitality Committee

...Aaaaah. I hate this question, especially since the most honest answer is "Whichever one I'm reading now." Seriously, it changes that often. :P But I shall endeavor to make an approximate idea of how I rank them, on average.

1. HHB
From a technical standpoint, HHB is probably the best book of the series. Perfect balance of action, character beats, and exposition. The characters are interesting, it's the only Chronicles book with a focus solely on the Narnia world... great book, and an enjoyable read.

2. VDT
Meep. I love this book, namely for the character interaction. My favourite bounces back and forth between this one and HHB, but for this list, VDT takes second place as its plot isn't as varied.

3. LWW
As the first book of the series, LWW will always hold a special place in my favourites list, especially since it introduces us to Narnia in such a wonderful way.

4. MN
I seriously love this book. It's one of the very few prequels in lit. that actually works, and provides a fascinating background to Jadis.

5. SC
These last three can be switched around in most any order, but SC comes next for this list because of the interaction between Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum. I also relate to Jill's struggle to Remember the Signs.

6. PC
Mm... PC's neither here nor there for me, I guess. There's nothing "OH GOODNESS AWESOME" about it, but there's nothing I honestly dislike, either.

7. LB
This book is really fascinating, and definitely the "deepest", I guess you could say, Chronicle. It only rounds out the bottom of this list due to an old prejudice against Susan not making it to the Real Narnia. ;)) I'm quite over that now, though, and thoroughly enjoy the book.

*pants* That took way too long to sort through. :P

youtube

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 5:31 pm
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

1)The Horse and His Boy is my favorite of favorites, I love how it happens completely in Narnia and there isn't any sad part in the end of the kids having to go back. Also I really love the story and how it gives us a good glimps of the other lands in the Narnia world

2)The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, it's actually almost on the same level with HHB, I just like HHB a little bit more

3)The Last Battle

4)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

5)Prince Caspian

6)The Silver Chair

7)The Magician's Nephew is my least favorite, I actually didn't enjoy it all that much, I can't really say why, I just didn't :)

always be humble and kind

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2012 6:23 am
Narnian_Archer
(@narnian_archer)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I voted for A Horse and His Boy. I like it more than all the other books because it's the most adventerous - there's no colossal war, no great and mighty enemy, and there's actually very little of Narnia, but somehow it captures that adventerous, fighting spirit so well and conveys the "Narnian feel" almost better than any other book. I love the themes it conveys, the characters it portrays, and the plot that unfolds. There's something so heartwarming about a small band of people trying to make their way home, fighting every obstacle that comes into their path, that it's just overwhelming. And, in a way, this book has more of Aslan in it than almost any other book, and it's the only one that has sort of a romance (although that's really a very minor point). I just love it!!

sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2012 7:52 am
DancingPrincesses
(@dancingprincesses)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I voted for The Horse and His Boy I think it is more exciting than the other books, and it has talking horses, what's not to like? :D

1. HHB
2. VDT
3. LWW
4. LB
5. MN
6. SC
7. PC its not that I don't like PC its just, I don't know, to me it wasn't as exciting as the other books.

My RL sibs are Adeona, Mars Aviator, Lizzle, NarnianCricket, and Andriel

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2012 1:56 pm
Anhun
(@anhun)
NarniaWeb Nut

To me, there are three elements that make a good Narnia book: a well-written story (It can be enjoyed on a superficial entertainment level ), dynamic characters who practically jump off the page at you (It can be enjoyed on an emotional level :(( =)) ), and complex themes that require several re-readings of the book to properly explore (It can be enjoyed on a spiritual and/or intellectual level :-B ).

Not all of the books succeed on all three levels, so I've classed them into three categories depending on the degree of Narnian greatness.

Masterpieces:

1. Silver Chair - In my opinion, this book is the strongest in thematic interest. There are several themes at work here and they weave together beautifully. Jill and Puddleglum are characters that I wish I could meet personally (especially Puddleglum), and it also works as an adventure story, although that component isn't as strong in SC as it is in some of the other books.

2. Horse and His Boy - This is the best character-development book. It is, in fact, the only book in the series in which all of the major characters are thoroughly developed. It's also a fun little adventure, though the themes are rather simple.

3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader - An engrossing Odyssean sea-faring tale, with engaging characters, and intriguing, diverse themes (some more complex than others). The fact that the themes are compartmentalized makes the book a bit less elegant than SC, but still enjoyable.

Worth a look:

4. Magician's Nephew: It's basically a metaphorical journey through the grief cycle. Very interesting on that level, but I don't feel it quite works as a story. Also, Diggory is the only fleshed-out character in the book.

5. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: The story that started it all. Rather shallow on theme and character development, but an engaging story, filled with a unique whimsy that you can only find in Narnia.

Waste of Trees:

6. The Last Battle: This was basically an attempt to tie up a lot of loose ends that, in my opinion, didn't need to be tied. Everyone gets to put in an appearance Mickey-Mouse-Club Style, and very little is left unexplained. Much too tidy. The first part of the book is a pointless excuse for a story. The very end of the book is quite beautiful, but it is, in my opinion, better enjoyed as a stand-alone piece of free verse poetry than as a story or a part of a story.

7. Prince Caspian: Flimsy, repetitive plot and cardboard characters.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2012 5:30 am
greyglum88
(@greyglum88)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Here are my rankings so far, rereading the series so this may change:

7. LB
-Overall I enjoyed the darker nature of the novel, but at the same time I felt like it meandered and the narrative lacked focus due to way too many characters. Still a good read though.

6. PC
-I really enjoyed some of the themes of this one, but the largest problem is the lack of characterization for the telmarine leaders, such as Miraz, Gloselle and Sopespian. Also the 4 chapter flashback dragged the pacing.

5. LWW
-An amazing introduction to the series, I really appreciated the ties to Christianity in this one. Aslan's death and resurrection was so powerful. The ending battle could have been written better, but still a great story.

4. SC
-The characters are really amazing in this one, I really enjoyed the interactions between Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum. Also the Lady of the Green Kirtale remains my favorite villain of the series!

3. MN
-This may move up after more readings, but I love the atmosphere Lewis creates with this one. Learning about how the wardrobe and Narnia originated was fun, and I feel like the ties to Genesis are really strong.

2. HHB
-I love the uniqueness of this one, how it focuses on people from Narnia. Bree and Shasta are also fun to read, their bantor is comical and entertaining. Just a fun little story with deep meaning.

1. VDT
-The episodic nature of this one, dense character development, coupled with a powerful ending, make this my favorite one of the bunch. Reep and Eustace are two of my favorite characters in the whole series. And I really love sea adventures, just the mystery of sailing into the unknown. Also no real villain makes this one unique in literature.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2012 4:40 pm
Purpleotter
(@purpleotter)
NarniaWeb Nut

1. LWW (OK, so this is my first favorite in the series but I love all three movies)
2. PC (Close second)
3.VDT (I love the plots with Repicheep and the voyage that everyone takes
4.THAHB (The horses are cool)
5.TMN (I liked to see how the wardrobe started)
6. TSC (The plot was kind of dull but some parts of it were good.)

As for The last Battle, I don't know yet because I'm still on the start of it.

"Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"-Aslan

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 27, 2012 4:00 am
jillpole1
(@jillpole1)
NarniaWeb Regular

1. The Silver Chair
2. The Magicians nephew
3. The Last Battle
4.The Horse and his Boy
5. Prince Caspian
6. The Lion the With and the Wardrobe
7. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I honestly don't have anything against VDT, I just couldn't decide which to put where, they're all so good. :P
The Silver Chair just really sucked me in, I can't explain why I liked it so much above the rest, I just absolutely adore it.

NW siblings: TheDwarfMan, TheGentleWarrior
NW Cousin: Weirdo

Avvie by: RubyGamgee - Signature by: Tarkheena

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2012 8:20 am
Purpleotter
(@purpleotter)
NarniaWeb Nut

The Silver Chair was okay during the first few chapters. After that the plot became dull in my opinion.

"Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"-Aslan

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2012 1:07 pm
The Tear Of The Lion
(@the-tear-of-the-lion)
NarniaWeb Newbie

My favourite is The Magician's Nephew, I don't really know why, I just totally love it. I can say, I have a relationship with that book.

Then...
The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe
The Horse And His Boy
The Silver Chair
The Voyage Of The Dawn Threader
Prince Caspian
The Last Battle

But I totally love all of the books. It's easy to choose a favourite, but almost impossible to choose a least favourite...

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
- C. S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2013 12:14 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

We seem to have a lot in common, the Tear of the Lion! My favourites are pretty much in the same order that you listed. I really, really like The Magician's Nephew, too. There's something about it that's so... well, of course, it's hard to put into words. It's so different from the normal flow of the series, character-wise, time-setting-wise, etc, but it just strikes a familiar note. :) I also am quite fond of The Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair and have hard time picking between the three when choosing a favourite. :)

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2013 2:39 pm
The Tear Of The Lion
(@the-tear-of-the-lion)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I absolutely agree. The Magician's Nephew was the first Narnia book I read and it took me. It's still my favourite book of all time and I absolutely love Digory and Polly. :) The Horse And His Boy is great too. I love horses and animals in general, and I simply love the title (the horse owning the boy) and the whole journey. It's perhaps the book with the biggest message. Personally, I like The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe very much too. It's so full of the narnian magic. But I love all of the books. Really. Many (fantasy) books have magic in the story. But you can feel the magic of Narnia, just when you hold the book in your hands.

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
- C. S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2013 10:51 pm
PhelanVelvel
(@phelanvelvel)
NarniaWeb Nut

This is incredibly difficult.

1.) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (I considered MN or HHB over this one, but I just couldn't. When I read this for the first time, I was going mad over the idea of getting to see what was at the much-hinted at Eastern End of the World. And each island had some twist, some turn, so that I was not disappointed. This theme of the unknown, going somewhere no one has ever been, it really speaks to me, as it speaks to Digory Kirke. That would make my top two choices seem rather obvious, but I love the series altogether and it was hard to choose.)

2.) The Magician's Nephew. (Narrowly beat out HHB because of the complete feeling of wonder and mystery I get every single time in The Wood between the Worlds and the desolate world of Charn. It's so real in my mind I feel I can reach out and touch it. And it is so tantalising, so torturous, to think that those rings lie buried in the front garden and they never take them for a joy-ride to explore other worlds ever again. More self-control than I think I would have. All those pools...that notion fills this book in a very subtle way, at least for me.)

3.) The Horse and His Boy. (This only JUST lost to The Magician's Nephew. By the slightest margin. Because I adore HHB, absolutely. The story taking place in Calormen was awesome, as was Aravis being a GOOD Calormene, finally some redemption for those poor people. People with dark skin and dark hair can be heroes, too. Got sick of hearing about "fair-haired, fair-skinned".)

4.) The Silver Chair. (Oh, how I love this one. The top four were just too hard to choose. I swear I get tears in my eyes every time Puddleglum says that famous line: "I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia." I am an absolute child.)

5.) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. (What! How could this rank so low? Still an amazing book, Tumnus is one of the greatest Narnian characters, but it falls just short for me because, as with PC, it was less about exploring and discovering the unknown places of Narnia, and more about rescuing it so all those stories could be set up.)

6.) Prince Caspian. (I love Caspian, this is still a great book, but I'm a sucker for the exploration-oriented stories, and this one didn't feel as "exotic", I suppose.)

7.) The Last Battle. (The ending felt too abrupt and I didn't like how heavy-handed Lewis got with his metaphor. I felt that the old Narnia was the real Narnia, and his idea of paradise did not feel like paradise to me. I liked the old friends all coming together, I didn't like the idea of them all never having adventures ever again because they'd be too busy being happy. Still liked the book as a whole, though, had some really nice moments.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2013 4:33 pm
I Know His Name Here
(@i-know-his-name-here)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Picking a favorite Narnia book is like trying to pick a favorite child! Impossible!! But if I *had* to rank them in the order that I personally enjoy reading them, I would say:

The Horse and His Boy - Aravis and Shasta/Cor are my favorite Narnia characters, and Lasaraleen cracks me up.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - Respect for the book that started it all.
The Magician's Nephew - This book full of so many surprises and "Ah-Ha! So that's why!" moments.
The Last Battle - "Further Up & Further In!"
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - I love the transformation of Eustace in this book. Also, my favorite quote is in this book. (I Know His Name Here ;) )
Prince Caspian - The Romp with Bacchus is one of my favorite parts of the Narnia books.
The Silver Chair - Puddleglum is an amazing character. His dry wit and ability to know what is right despite any reservation he might have produce some of the most memorable quotes in the series.

“But there I have another name.You must learn to know me by that name.This was the very reason you were brought to Narnia,that by knowing me here for a little,you may know me better there.”Aslan~VDT

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2013 2:20 am
Page 8 / 12
Share: