Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest? Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020

Poll results: Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?
Voter(s): 36
Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
Prince Caspian (PC)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)  -  votes: 9 / 25%
25%
The Silver Chair (SC)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)  -  votes: 8 / 22.2%
22.2%
The Last Battle (LB)  -  votes: 6 / 16.7%
16.7%

[Sticky] Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Page 7 / 12
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

My favorite book of Narnia is between MN and LB. The creation in The Magician's Nephew, to start with is just glorious(and it has my favorite character, Digory Kirke, in it :) ). The new Narnia at the end of The Last Battle, is beyond glorious or even description. No more tears, no more fears, and the feeling of it never ending is just amazing. :)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2011 9:56 am
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think LWW will always be my favorite, but after that, I'm constantly changing my opinion. I love MN, SC, HHb, and LB. I liked VDT and PC.

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2011 4:36 pm
Edmund_The_Just
(@edmund_the_just)
NarniaWeb Regular

1) VDT
Sailing to the end of the world where nobody has been before just sounds awesome and exciting to me. I love the idea that you can actually sail there and therefore the narnian world isn't a world ball.

2) LWW
Edmund's development. AWESOME. Enough said :)

3) MN
It was so exciting to read how everything started. For example, how Jadis came into Narnia, why the kings and queens of Narnia are human, the story behind the lamppost and so on ;)

4) SC
The story is great and I do love Puddleglum ;) .

5) PC
I really like how the narnian air is working on the Pevensies and how they become stronger every moment while beeing in Narnia. It gives me the creeps when they realize that they must have been away for a very long time, that everything has changed and that there is not much left of Cair Paravel.

6) HHB
I can't really say why I liked the other 5 books more. Maybe it's because I like Narnia and the wild lands of north more than the south and especially the culture there.

7) LB
I have to say that I think the ending is kinda sad. I know it is supposed to be a happy ending, but I don't like them dying that young in our world and I don't like the end of Narnia. Plus, I would have liked Susan coming back...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2011 3:38 pm
wizardjna
(@wizardjna)
NarniaWeb Regular

my favorite is MN because it tells the creation of Narnia and It is the beginning of the great adventures of Narnia. The last is LB because I wanted Narnia to never end, less even that way

MN
VDT
LWW
SC
HHB
PC
LB

Make your choice, adventurous Stranger; Strike the bell and bide the danger, Or
wonder, till it drives you mad, What would have followed if you had.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2011 3:27 pm
parableproductions
(@parableproductions)
NarniaWeb Nut

1. The Last Battle is definitely my favorite - I actually get excited when I read the parts where they are running and swimming up the waterfall! It makes me feel like I'm getting just a little taste of what Heaven is like (oh, not the specifics, just the overwhelming joy) And the "dark" part of the book when things in Narnia are falling apart, well, I get a lot of encouragement from it - remain faithful, even when things are going against you and it seems that there is no one on your side. Especially in the times we are living through right now and the way things look like they are going - I don't know, I guess I just relate to the message in the first part of the book and the joy that I feel in the last part of the book reminds me that the struggle is worth it.

As far as ranking them - that's hard (from what I've read here - most of us are in agreement on that at least) But, here goes.

2. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - because of the parallels with the Gospel - plus I just love how Lewis expresses how horrible things are under the White Witch. I mean, it's always winter (which is pretty bleak) and to top it off, you don't even get to enjoy the one really good thing about winter, because it's never Christmas! And I know that this is about the books, but there was one lesson that was left out of the movie that really disappointed me - after the battle when Lucy uses her cordial to heal Edmund she waits to see if it is really going to work and Aslan asks her if more must die for Edmund. The point of that is that even when you are on the right track and doing what you are supposed to, you might not be doing EVERYTHING that you are supposed to and we sometimes in to be reminded. I listened to the director's commentary and he didn't understand why Aslan scolded Lucy so he left it out. (But I really like the movie too)

3. The Horse and His Boy - poor Shasta! He goes through all these hardships and then when they reach the Hermit's place, he doesn't get to rest but has to keep running - doing the right thing isn't always easy (in fact it usually isn't easy at all) but you are usually rewarded in ways that you can't even imagine. Shasta is given the gift of seeing how everything fit together when Aslan walks by him and tells him that he was always with him. I really relate to Shasta more than any of the other characters in any of the books.

4. Voyage of the Dawn Treader - you have to love a book that begins with "There once was a boy named Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." One of my favorite parts is when Eustace is telling Edmund how he became a boy again and then apologizes for being such a stinker before. Edmund tells him that he was far worse on his first trip to Narnia and Eustace immediately tells him not to talk about it then. That, more than anything, shows how much Eustace has grown - because human nature is to say "oh, really? Tell me all about it" Eustace knew that if Edmund was worse than he was that it was pretty bad and didn't want to have Edmund live through the memory of it.

5. The Silver Chair - great adventure, LOTS of lessons and they actually get to bring something from Narnia back with them - their clothes aren't changed back to what they were wearing when they left. There is a lot of spiritual meat in this book.

6. Prince Caspian - I LIKE Caspian's story being told as a flashback. I also like Lucy and Susan's romp with Aslan - the point was of which was to see who would follow Aslan. Not all the Telemarines and Narnians were on the battlefield - Aslan going around and gathering those that would follow him was perfect. And Susan really needed that time with Aslan after her unbelief. I also really like the fact that Peter, Trumpkin, and Edmund stood outside the door until Peter was sure that Caspian was going to do the right thing - he let Caspian face his temptation and reassured himself that he was really on the right side. Peter also lets Caspian know pretty early that he is just there to help, but to take over and rule himself. Peter still conducted himself like the High King should.

7. Magician's Nephew - love this book as well, but not as much as the others. One of my biggest qualms is that Lewis kind of changed who the White Witch was - in LWW she is decended from Lilith and the Jinns on one side and Giants on the other in MN she's from a world called Charn. What I loved about this book was Aslan singing Narnia into existance and the compassion that he had for Digory who was worried about his mother. (kind of reminds me of the story of Lazurus - Jesus wept when Martha came and told Him that her brother was dead, He cried with Martha)

Peter also lets Caspian know pretty early that he is just there to help, but to take over and rule himself.

I meant that Peter was NOT there to take over and rule himself - that's what I get for typing when I'm tired!

Further up and further in!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2011 6:33 pm
Narnia-Forever
(@narnia-forever)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Geez...this is HARD! I think this is it...but then again, it changes every time I read them again:
1-LWW
2-HHB
3-MN
4-VDT
5-SC
6-PC
7-LB
I love the ending in the Last Battle...and truly I love all the books so much, they all have a special place in my heart...but if one has to be last I guess this would be it..

Narnia-Forever
"For Narnia and for Aslan!!!!!!!!!!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2011 10:16 am
Lady Rosalia
(@lady-rosalia)
NarniaWeb Regular

First of all, it's really fun for me to discuss all things Narnia with fellow fans (I think my family is glad, too. I've been talking alot about Narnia since I read the books almost two months ago :)
As far as the allegorical aspects, I'd say
1.) LWW
The parallels to Christ's sacrifice for traitors is amazing, and that He rises again, defeating death and the enemy! Fabulous!
2.) Last Battle
the book of Revelation is one of my favorite books in the Bible, and LB seems to echo alot of it. I love how C.S. Lewis made the first part so sad, and yet wrote it so that when reading about Aslan's Country, you almost forgot about the other parts. It reminds me of a verse that says something about the former things being remembered no more.

But as far as stories, I'd say
1.) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
I love the character portrayal, and as there is a relative that sometimes slips into what we secretly call her "Eustace mode", it helps me relax when she is being a Eustace. (It makes me think of Caspian's 'Bother Eustace' comment) Perhaps I can identify with Lucy's jealousy of her older sister, and Caspian's tendency to come across a bit strongly during stressful moments (his kindness to Eustace not withstanding)
2.) The Horse and His Boy
Great story, and I love how Cor learns it was Aslan protecting him all along. Also, Aravis's escape from forced marriage helped protect Queen Susan from one. (Being able to have King Lune warned to defend Anvard, and Narnia thereby be saved)

"Not all that is called progress moves us forward." - H.K. Ward
"Aslan's instructions always work, there are no exceptions."
-Puddleglum

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2012 6:38 am
123asdb
(@takipsilim)
NarniaWeb Newbie

1. LB
2. VDT
3. LWW
4. SC
5. PC
6. HHB
7. MN
im still hoping for book 8

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 1:13 am
MinotaurforAslan
(@minotaurforaslan)
NarniaWeb Junkie

im still hoping for book 8

;)) That made my day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2012 1:04 pm
DawnTreader07
(@dawntreader07)
NarniaWeb Regular

1) Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Obviously :) I love everything about this book.
2) Prince Caspian
A close second.
3) The Horse and His Boy
In my opinion, the most under-rated book.
4) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
5) The Magician's Nephew
6) The Last Battle
Still enjoyable, but confused me greatly at certain points.
7) The Silver Chair
Again, I still love it...but certain parts really dragged for me.

"Daughter, I have now lived a hundred and nine winters in this world and have never yet met any such thing as Luck. There is something about all this that I do not understand: but if ever we need to know it, you may be sure that we shall."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2012 7:39 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

This is harder then picking my favorite character! :p
I really love each one equally and no less then the other.
But I will try to put them in order. ;)

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3. The Magician's Nephew
4. The Silver Chair
5.The Horse and His Boy
6. The Last Battle
7. Prince Caspian

I Love these books so much, they hold such a special place in my heart! :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2012 8:55 pm
Andriel
(@andriel)
NarniaWeb Nut

lets see....

1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Horse and His Boy
3. The Silver Chair
4. The Last Battle
5. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
6. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
7. Prince Caspian

that was hard..... Im Glad thats over with #:-s

~Andriel

Previously DP Dessa
My RL sibs are Adeona, NarnianCricket, and DancingPrincesses.
Im a HUGE Fan of The Avengers!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2012 9:10 pm
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Right after "You like to read? What's your favourite book?", "Which is your favourite of the Narnia series?" is the hardest question that someone can ask me.
I enjoy reading all of them because C.S. Lewis' writing style is one of my favourites. However, if I had to pick as far as story goes.... not counting The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe... I will say that it's a tie between The Horse and His Boy (There are so many things I love about this one.), The Silver Chair (I really love the adventure atmosphere to it.), and The Magician's Nephew (I think that the characters in it - aside from the villains - are really beautiful and interesting.).

I enjoy reading The Last Battle and really need to reread it. Least favourite to read would have to be Prince Caspian or The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I love them still, regardless, but they're not my utmost favourite. I do want to reread them, though, to see if this has changed over the years.

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 9:09 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

After all this time, PC seems to be my enduring favorite. So many people view it as their least favorite. But to me, it's timeless.

My favorites, in order, are:

PC
SC
MN
VDT
LB
LWW
HHB

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 10:31 am
SummerSnow
(@summersnow)
Member Hospitality Committee

1. The Horse and His Boy.
2. Silver Chair.
3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
4. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
5. Prince Caspian.
6. Magician's Nephew.
7. Last Battle

The Horse and His Boy is my favorite because it's an adventure story and they also had talking horses. I really like Aravis.

I read the Last Battle when I was a lot younger and just never really liked it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 12:22 pm
Page 7 / 12
Share: