Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest? Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020

Poll results: Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?
Voter(s): 36
Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
Prince Caspian (PC)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)  -  votes: 9 / 25%
25%
The Silver Chair (SC)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)  -  votes: 8 / 22.2%
22.2%
The Last Battle (LB)  -  votes: 6 / 16.7%
16.7%

[Sticky] Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Page 6 / 12
the magicians niece
(@the-magicians-niece)
NarniaWeb Newbie

1. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3. The Silver Chair
4. The Last Battle
5. The Magician's Nephew
6. The Horse and his Boy
7. Prince Caspian

I ranked The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe first because it almost gave me a hope that there is a Narnia out there, and in my opinion had the most magical feeling.

Most of us, I suppose, have a secret country but for most of us it is only an imaginary country. Edmund and Lucy were luckier than other people in that respect. Their secret country was real.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 2, 2011 10:25 am
Timo
 Timo
(@timo)
NarniaWeb Regular

Aww this is so hard..

1. LB: Actually I'm not a big fan of the beginning of the book, it's so.. weird, with the ape and Puzzle.. But it turns out to be my favourite book, the ending is breathtaking, I used to cry every time when Narnia died when I was a kid :)
2. HHB: Can't explain why, Love Shasta very much... As a kid I think it was very cool to see the Pevensies being grown up, being real kings and queens; The story is just lovable :)
3. VDT: Used to be my favourite, but I think I read it to much :) the last chapter is breathtaking.
4. LWW: Yea, i LOVE this book, and it brought me into Narnia and stuff, but I think it's a bit overated, compared to the other books
5. SC: I used to dislike this book when I was a kid. Some stuff were so weird. Jill and Eustace being so unfriendly at times, Puddle being negative the whole time, Jill who can't remember the 4 rules (which were sooo easy, she could at least have written them down on something!). But I turned out loving the book when I got older. Think it was a bit too dark for me when I was a kid.
6. MN: It's a great book, love the birth of Narnia, but somehow Digory and Polly are my least favourite characters in the Narnia series.
7. Prince Caspian: Yea I dunno, it's the only book I still don't really like. It feels like the magic is gone in this book.

That's my list, took a while to think about this :D

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2011 2:12 am
Jill
 Jill
(@jill)
NarniaWeb Nut

I love all the books but LB wins it's so completely beautiful.
Here's my rankings,
1-LB
2-HHB I love Lewis's one tomboy the journey and the horses especially Bree.
3-SC this was very close! I love the unchaining, the concurring evil and I have always loved characters who get bullied, I identified with it.
4-MN- Who wouldn't love to understand the beginnings of Narnia and where the wardrobe and the Proffesors strange ( but correct) ideas came from. The beginning of the world is so beautiful and I love the cabby's reactions.
5-VDT- I don't really know why I don't love this book, I love the ideas I love boats and I actually like Eustace, the Pevensies are too much like Saints. I suppose there are just to many great Books
6-LWW- this was my first ever Narnia and I loved it so much I read it over and over again and just over did it
7-PC-I think the film (which I can't stand) might have pushed it down but if I over did LWW I don't know what I did to PC it'll probably be a few more years before I can enjoy it again

I love all the books, the characters and the message they're all gorgeous.

Comfort child we are between the paws of the true Aslan.- King Tirian

If this is the real world the the play world a great deal better- Puddleglum

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2011 1:19 am
Rilian The Disenchanted
(@rilian-the-disenchanted)
NarniaWeb Nut

1. LB Just mindblowing. Very sad book, but also optimistic. Big reunion of alll main characters. Perfect ending.
2. VODT Full of adventure, different islands, very original, Eustace's transformation (physically and personality), best transition.
3. LWW Discovery of a new world, WW, Aslan's sacrifice, Tumnus of course
4. SC Caspian who becomes young again in Aslan's country, Puddelglum, Giants
5. MN Creation of Narnia, Uncle Andrew who gets planted =))
6. HHB Loved how Aravis and Shasta became friends, despite their different background. The theme of finding the place where you truly belong.
7. PC Still love this book but it's not as original as the others. It's basically the same setting as in LWW but 1300 years later.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2011 2:29 am
Conina
(@conina)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. HHB - Its a look at Narnia from the perspective of natives to that world. and some old favorite characters show up such as Tumnus

2. SC - Very close 2nd. It feels more intellectual the argument Puddleglum has with the witch. Issues of sanity and of who controls perceptions comes into play.

3. LWW - this was my first introduction into the world of Narnia. I love the scene with Lucy meeting Tumnus by the lamp post.

4. MN - I think the image of the witch in London is hilarious. I also like getting to find out where the Lamp post came from and how Narnia began and some of the history of the white witch.

5. VDT - I love the adventure and how they overcome various evils with Aslan's help.

6. LB - Beautiful book but it is sad and dark too. I cried when I first found out about Susan.

7. PC - I like this book quite a bit as well. But there is a lot of growing pain in it. Caspian has to face his evil uncle. I cried when I first found out Susan and Peter couldn't go back (it was less of a shock in VDT). Its hard finding out that one's world isn't ideal.

"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2011 7:17 am
PollyP
(@pollyp)
NarniaWeb Regular

my favourite is by far is the magicians nephew after that hear is my list-

1.TSC
2.HAHB
3.VOTDT
4.PC
5.TLWW
6.TLB
#:-s

Do not dare not to dare.-Aslan

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2011 4:36 am
Lucy_the_Oracle
(@lucy_the_oracle)
NarniaWeb Regular

Okay, here goes:

1. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: I'm not exactly sure why this is my favorite, it's just always been that way. I guess because there are so many different, smaller adventures within the one big one. And also, Lucy, Edmund, and Eustace are all high on my list of favorite characters. You get to see more of them. And it has a dragon. I love dragons. :p

2. The Silver Chair: This one is a favorite because I relate to Jill so well. Also, I read this out loud to my sister when we were about eight and nine, so it has a bunch of fun memories tied to it, aside from the story itself. Oh, plus: It has Puddleglum! ;)

3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Of course. The idea is just so wonderful: You're far from home, a war is going on, and you just happen to open a wardrobe...

4. The Horse and His Boy: ... it's number 4 because... because... Well... I like seeing the Pevensies older, for one. It's also cool to see Aslan working in the background of it all, although you don't realize until He tells you. And Bree makes me laugh. :p

5. The Magician's Nephew: It answered a lot of questions, and the creation scene is so beautiful! I also love the story of the wardrobe at the very end. Plus, I want to go to the Wood Between the Worlds almost as much as I want to go to Narnia itself, for whatever reason.

6. Prince Caspian: I don't know why this is so low. I guess... Hm. I never liked the character of Caspian that much. Not that I disliked him; it's impossible to do that. There are just other people I would rather be reading about, and he takes a big chunk of the book.

7. The Last Battle: It's sad. Yes, they all went to Aslan's Country and things are going to be wonderful, but what about Susan? I mean, I can see her leaving and all, but still. We need to be told how she gets back! (And this is probably a little off topic, but I firmly believe she does. I just want to know how.) And the scene about the end of Narnia makes me cry. You come to love the world so much, and then it's gone. Yes, the real Narnia is still there... But the one we could get to is gone, and now we have to wait 'til we die.

As long as there is breath in my body, I will be For Narnia. And for Aslan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 31, 2011 11:07 am
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee

1) The Horse and His Boy
2) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3) The Magician's Nephew
4) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
5) The Silver Chair
6) Prince Caspian
7) The Last Battle

HHB: I just generally like the whole thing. I think part of the reason i would name it as my favorite, though, is because i purposely didn't read it for years - the summary on the back did not get my interest at all, but when i finally read it, i really enjoyed it.

VDT: This one and MN are really close; i like both - again, it took me a while to read them - and all top 3 have the greatest number of my favorite quotes.

LWW: The classic tale that started it all. I don't dislike anything about this one particularly, it just isn't a top-favorite.

SC: I think i would say i really do like all of the Chronicles, but i wouldn't put the last three in my top favorites. What i didn't like about this one - i never liked Jill, i didn't like that she and Eustace called each other by their last names (i realize it's accurate to their time/culture, but i still didn't like it), and i didn't like that throughout almost the whole thing they weren't behaving very well. Still, Puddleglum is a great character, and the story is interesting.

PC: I would have to say, the slow beginning with the Pevensies is actually probably my favorite part. I didn't really feel engaged for Caspian or his allies, i didn't like the attitudes of the children while they were traveling with Trumpkin, and it ended so quickly.

LB: The ending has never moved me like it has other people. I didn't like the way Susan was treated - i get the message about the difference between acting grown-up and being grown-up, but i didn't get why after only about 2 paragraphs, they never bring her up ever again, and it bothered me that she got dropped in favor of Jill (whom i never really liked) or Polly (who only showed up in one book). I wouldn't say it's a bad book, but i never cared for it.

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2011 5:21 pm
puddleglum32
(@puddleglum32)
NarniaWeb Nut

I think my favorites were the HHB and SC. I love puddleglum and shasta. Puddleglum is brave and noble while Shasta is humble and courteous.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2011 1:28 pm
Anfinwen
(@anfinwen)
NarniaWeb Nut

1. MN
2. HHB
3. LWW
4. LB
5. PC
6. SC
7. VDT
The Magician's Nephew is my favorite book because of it's epic yet human nature. The various places described in the book have always captured my imagination. MN is so complete and powerful.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-13-at-1-35-56-PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 28, 2011 2:19 pm
OftheNORTH0095
(@ofthenorth0095)
NarniaWeb Newbie

My book rankings would have to be......

1. The Silver Chair - for the adventures and for the fact that readers get a glimpse into the northern part of narnia. Also, i like the book for some memorable characters: Puddleglum, Glimfeather, and the giants of Harfand.
2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3. The Lion, The Withch, and The Wardrobe
4. The Last Battle
5. The Magicians Nephew
6. Prince Caspian
7. The Horse and His Boy

“I am,” said Aslan. “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2011 11:25 am
Clive Staples Sibelius
(@clive-staples-sibelius)
NarniaWeb Nut

1. The Silver Chair - I love this the best because of combination of the mood ( gray, silvery, and rainy) and its theme of following and recognizing Aslan's signs even when it seems they aren't there or that things happen randomly. I also find Puddleglum's argument a swift and sweet kick in the face to resigned materialism.

2. The Last Battle - What's special to me about the last chronicle is how moving and beautiful it can be whilst telling a very dark and ugly story about treachery and manipulation. Everything works in reverse in this book (has anyone else noticed this?) The bad guys "win," and yet Aslan shows how it was all part of his plan. Nothing can be truly turned against God, for he always finds a purpose for it.

3. Prince Caspian - This one took me a while to appreciate, but it's a very very special book. It's also a remarkably complex one (as are all the chronicles, beneath their seemingly simple surfaces. Even beneath the assigned "allegorical" interpretations put on them by many). This book makes me sigh that kind of sigh where you know things have finally been set right with justice, as well as an air of jollity. It's that infamous Bacchus chapter that does it for me---NOT because of Bacchus, but because of the wild lovingness of Aslan who frees the school teacher and heals the old nurse. Those two moments get me teary every time.

4. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - This used to my be absolute favorite, and being knocked down to fourth place is no insult to it. I haven't changed my mind about it one bit. It is still as powerfully enchanting as ever. As with The Silver Chair, it's the overall effect of the mood (this time very golden). The last three chapters are so inspired and I'm hardly able to know what to say about them, definitely. I think it's that reaching for Aslan's Country as a real, physical place. It makes my heart leap because I so prefer it to any idea of heaven as metaphorical.

5. The Magician's Nephew - Every book has its defining scene. LWW has the stone table scene, LB has Aslan ending the world, and MN has the creation of the world. What is powerful about Narnia are the clearness and cleanness of its images. Reading that passage is like listening to music.

6. The Horse and His Boy - I'm going down the list here, but I have nothing bad at all to say about the "low-end" books. HHB strikes me most powerfully of all, sometimes. The awesomeness of Aslan comes out very wonderfully in this book when it is revealed to Shasta that He, Aslan, was the one guiding him all along. If that doesn't make you cry, I don't know what will.

7. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe - LWW has always stood apart from the rest of the series, yet it is the core of the series, as it should be since it contains the most powerful portrayal of (unending!) love and forgiveness. It really does shine the light on the rest of the series. And for me, it was always important that Edmund (while walking towards the witches house) had never really turned "Evil." It was important that Peter had to make up with Edmund and admit his own faults as well.

I love this series :((

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2011 4:55 pm
cherish
(@cherish)
NarniaWeb Regular

Well, I can't vote because I've didn't read all the books. I'm at the third book called The Horse and His Boy and it's quite interesting. I would like to find out who's really Shasta, because at the beginning I thought that he was indeed Prince Corin, but it turned out to be that he isn't. It's a mistery for me in this moment. I loved the Magician's Nephew, because I've read the extraordinary part when Narnia was created and I imagined it in my mind and it was awsome but I've also like The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, because the four kids at the beginning were so innocent. It was a bit different that the movie, of course it's always like that, but I liked all the two books I've finished and I would like the third book and the others one, beucase The Chronicles of Narnia will be one of my favourite series!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2011 7:35 pm
Jadis101
(@jadis101)
NarniaWeb Regular

1.) The Magcian's Nephew- I just think it a perfect blend of comedy and drama. All of the characters are great, the plot is very interesting and overall I feel the story has alot of heart.

2.) The Silver Chair- A bit on the darker side but again the characters are wonderful and the story is interesting. LotGK is such a unique villain.

3.) Voyage of the Dawn Treader- I like how the story is told in this one and going from different islands and such. Plus I have always liked pirate/ship stories.

4.) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe- The classic that started it all not much to say that hasn't been already said.

5.) Prince Caspian- This one is good but I haven't read it in awhile I do like alot of characters in it though.

6.) Horse and His Boy- I haven't read this one in ages but I remember thinking it was ok. Maybe I should re-read it my cousin loves this one becasue she loves horses lol.

7.) The Last Battle- Too sad )=

Keeper of Jadis' Wolves

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2011 8:38 am
PuddleCheep
(@puddlecheep)
NarniaWeb Regular

Ever since I discovered Narnia, I've had a hard time choosing a favorite. I've had three different favorites in my lifetime, but here I'll say what my fav is now.

(1) HB: I love this book for several reasons. First, I love how it differs so much from the rest of the book. It doesn't have kids from England come in and have adventures; it focuses on characters from the Narnian world. I love getting to know more about the countries around Narnia. There is so much humor in the story. And, well, it's such a good story!

(2) SC: Terrific characters and a great story!

(3) VDT: The fantasy is so much more present which makes me like this book more. Also, I love Reepicheep and I liked learning more about him.

(4) LB: One of the darkest and comforting book in the series. And I like how the story takes a twist on what you expect would happen to Narnia.

(5) LWW: Even though I love this book, it's not as good as the books after it. But I love the Aslan/Christ ressurection parts.

(6) MN: Although I love finding out the backstory for Narnia and Jadis, it isn't quite as...likeable as the others.

(7) PC: I used to like it a lot as a kid but the story drags on a little and sort of rehashes LWW's storyline.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2011 2:46 pm
Page 6 / 12
Share: