Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest? Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020

Poll results: Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?
Voter(s): 36
Poll was created on Jun 21, 2020
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
Prince Caspian (PC)  -  votes: 5 / 13.9%
13.9%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)  -  votes: 9 / 25%
25%
The Silver Chair (SC)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)  -  votes: 11 / 30.6%
30.6%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)  -  votes: 8 / 22.2%
22.2%
The Last Battle (LB)  -  votes: 6 / 16.7%
16.7%

[Sticky] Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Page 11 / 12
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

@jasminetarkheena Feel free to say a little about why you like some better than others - even if they share the same ranking on your list.

(And you needn't share the whole list, just the top items.)

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2021 1:33 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, here is my rankings.

7. The Horse and His Boy- I actually like the concept and idea of the narrative. It's about making a discovering about who are you. It's basically Shasta making this journey to "Narnia and the North" because he realizes he's not the son of the fisherman of Arsheesh. I kind of put it low on the list because it's like something you can't read out of context. Obviously you have to read The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe before you read The Horse And His Boy, because how else will you know who Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are? There are still a lot of stuff to appreciate. The villain, Prince Rabadash, though a bit childish at times, but is a pretty enjoyable villain. He throws a fit when things don't go his way. It's a pretty slow book at times, though there are some tense moments. I think trying to explain Calormene culture to a kid could a be a real challenge.

6. The Silver Chair- I really like the book (I often joke about what would Puddleglum be like on weather channel Giggle LOL ). There is a downside to the book, though. The pacing does get slow at times. Other than that, it's enjoyable.  the plot line does a good job. I was actually torn up when Ramandu's daughter, Caspian's wife, was killed by the serpent. The Lady of the Green Kirtle is a great villain. Overall, I still like The Silver Chair.. I just had to put it somewhere on the list.

5. The Last Battle- I think this is the most complex book in the series. I think it has bit more of a mature theme, compared to the other six. It deals with manipulation, life and death, after life, last days. Emeth is my favorite character in the series, and there's the iconic moment where Emeth talks about his meeting with Aslan. And Rishda is also one of my favorite Narnia villains. I might be the minority on this, but I think Rishda is a superior villain than Shift. I also love the deep friendship of Tirian and Jewel. What other book has deep friendship where two male characters love each other like brothers? Overall, I like The Last Battle, but I don't think it's enough to give it full price. I don't think you can read it out of context, because you have to read the six others, regardless of which order.

4. The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe- Some have argued it's the best introduction to the series. I think it's the best known. If you ask anyone if they've every read The Chronicles of Narnia, chances are they'll say, "I've read The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe." I will try not to get too religious, but there's no away around that The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe is the gospel. It's a good introduction on how we get to know the kids better. Edmund is perhaps the most complex, because he has the most character development. It's a great story, even with the religious themes.

3. The Magician's Nephew- It's a great one to know how Narnia got started without giving too much away. We even learn that Aslan is not just the Savior of Narnia but also the creator. CS Lewis even wrote this from his own experience where Digory's mother was sick and was about to die. CS Lewis had lost his own mother when he was a boy. Even Douglas Gresham talked about it in the prologue on the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre. He, too, have lost his mother, when he as a boy. So it's great to see CS Lewis write a story that had happened from his own experience. 

2.  Prince Caspian- Now this used to be my #1. I don't know if my views have changed over time. I actually love it because Caspian brought back the old days to help change the path of Narnia's history. It has a theme of restoration and renewal. It's not just about the return of the Pevensies, but also return of the old days after years of corruption.

1. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Now this is like a journey story. What also makes it stand out from the other books that there is no clear-cut villain (unless you can't Governor Gumpas and Pug as villains). Each of the characters struggle within themselves. The journey can also be view as a Christian's journey towards Heaven. Reepicheep has a longing to see the world's end, Aslan's Country. It's like a Christian has a longing for a home in Heaven.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 3:38 pm
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb

My rankings:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Silver Chair

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Magician's Nephew

The Horse and his Boy

The Last Battle

The Last Battle was a hard book for me because it was the end of the series, and there were characters in it I couldn't stand.  I really hated Shift with a passion and wanted to kick him, LOL,   It's the one that I've reread the least because of him.  

These are only shadows of the real world

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 8:17 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@cyberlucy The Last Battle is a very complex book. I thought Shift was too simplistic as far as villains go.. that's the reason why I like Rishda better as a villain. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 8:22 pm
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Posted by: @jasminetarkheena

@cyberlucy The Last Battle is a very complex book. I thought Shift was too simplistic as far as villains go.. that's the reason why I like Rishda better as a villain. 

It really was.  It was the one that I found to be the most steeped in Lewis' understanding of classic philosophy and allegory.  The reason I hated Shift was because he was just pompous and ridiculous.  You are right about him being too simplistic.  You can see right though him.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 8:54 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@cyberlucy Here's two reasons why I thought Shift was too simplistic-

1. He doesn't do all the dirty work. He does when the story starts, manipulating Puzzle into pretending to be Aslan. "We'll set everything right in Narnia." But as the story progresses, it's Rishda and Ginger that do the dirty work. Shift manipulates Puzzle, then he gets manipulated by Rishda and Ginger. It's like you could say to Shift, "Whose the puppet now?" And I wonder why didn't CS Lewis make Rishda Tarkaan the main villain? Could he have been a Prince Rabadash or King Miraz type villain?

2. All he cares about is oranges and bananas. The only he cares about is that he can get all the oranges and bananas he wants. And we're not even told what would he do with all the oranges and bananas. I'm sure we could speculate.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 9:00 pm
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Posted by: @jasminetarkheena

@cyberlucy Here's two reasons why I thought Shift was too simplistic-

1. He doesn't do all the dirty work. He does when the story starts, manipulating Puzzle into pretending to be Aslan. "We'll set everything right in Narnia." But as the story progresses, it's Rishda and Ginger that do the dirty work. Shift manipulates Puzzle, then he gets manipulated by Rishda and Ginger. It's like you could say to Shift, "Whose the puppet now?"

^ This.  He wasn't smart enough or devious enough to be more than just a  joke

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 9:10 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @cyberlucy

^ This.  He wasn't smart enough or devious enough to be more than just a  joke

True. He takes to drinking, according to Poggin, so his head is not very clear. I guess you could say it's poetic justice. I think that's played throughout the series-

Edmund is a bully to Lucy then he gets bullied by the White Witch

Miraz manipulated his flatterers to beg him to become king then he gets manipulated by his flatterers when they talked him out of accepting the challange

Governor Gumpas says the king's name then King Caspian shows up, and he's caught off-guard.

Prince Rabadash is angry and proud when he realizes he can't have Susan as his wife and he gets turned into a donkey

Rishda says Tash randomly, though not believing in him, then Tash shows up in the stable.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 9:15 pm
Cyberlucy liked
Mrs Smooshy
(@mrs-smooshy)
NarniaWeb Regular

Wow,  I don't find Shift simplistic at all.  He's pompous and vain and he's so utterly despicable because of his manipulation of such an innocent and simple-minded Puzzle.  And he is quick to betray his entire nation.  I was always a little disappointed how stupid he becomes at the end with the cat Ginger taking over.   I do like the idea of him getting in over his head with the Calormens and Tash (the villain believing himself to be smarter than reality is interesting to me) but him being a complete bumbling fool at the end doesn't seem in keeping with the ape we see at the beginning.  I think a more double-agent, wheeling and dealing sort of figure would have gone better.  All I can compare it to is Saruman from Lord of the Rings (the books)

Spoiler
Lord of the Rings (books)
where he is pretending to serve Sauron but fully intends to betray him.  Sauron knows Saruman plans to betray him and Saruman knows that Sauron knows but they both still play nice and pretend to cooperate.  Yet, the pitable situation is that Saruman believes he can win against Sauron and everyone else knows that is not possible.
  A dynamic like that would have been more interesting.  He would have to have not been drunk for that to work.  I guess that dynamic could have happened off-page and we only rejoin him once he has already descended into desperation and madness.

The Mr, the Mrs (that's me) and the little Smooshers....plus our cats

Fancy Signature pending......

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 6:57 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@mrs-smooshy It's kind of interesting because most villains in Narnia when they take over, they become interesting (the White Witch and Miraz, for example). I just thought Rishda was more interesting than Shift as far as villains goes. I think where Poggin talked about how Shift had taken to drinking, it kind of loses interest for me. Shift is an manipulator, but later on, he gets manipulated. It's like how the old saying goes, "What comes around goes around" or "What goes around comes around" (not sure what it is which). So Puzzle had to do what Shift said, then Shift had to do what Ginger and Rishda say.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 11, 2021 7:03 pm
rainyweather
(@rainyweather)
NarniaWeb Nut

Before I share my ratings of the books, I would just like to note that each and every book in the Chronicles of Narnia is an amazing piece of literature in and of itself, and they are all some of my favorite books. However, I'm not comparing the Chronicles to literature in general, just to each other, and, as such, here are my ratings:

(I tried to rank them as best I could, but, honestly, it's really more of a tie between VDT, SC, and HHB, for first place then a tie between LWW, MN, LB, and PC for second. Also, the order of my favorites will probably change soon enough, considering as it already has many, many times Giggle ).

1. VDT

2. SC

3. HHB

4. LWW

5. MN

6. PC

7. LB

This is my reasoning:

VDT-

VDT is my favorite for many reasons. One of them being Reepicheep, who is a favorite character of mine, and who I find- similarly to Puddleglum- both inspiring and amusing (though he is introduced in PC, I recall he plays a more major part in VDT). I love the whole conversation about the End of the World and round worlds! There is a lot of moments in VDT that I find very humorous. I also enjoy the wonderful redemption arc of Eustace and the fun episodic structure of the book (the excitement of never knowing what the crew will find next). In the end, though, it's the stunning setting and imagery throughout the voyage that captures my imagination and puts this book at the top of my list. The description of the last part of the voyage, as the crew neared and finally reached the End of the World, was absolutely magnificent.

SC-

When I first read the Chronicles, VDT was my absolute favorite, but SC has since grown on me and I like it probably just as much as VDT (and at times a bit better). SC is really quite gloomy in story and atmosphere, but I feel it emphasizes the beautiful message about having faith and hope, even when things are dreary- especially when things are dreary. I also really love the dynamic between Eustace and Jill, and Puddleglum, too. As a pessimist myself (who no longer pretends to be a realist Giggle  ), Puddleglum's being overly pessimistic appeals to me in humorous way. I love the bravery and resilience the heroes of SC show in the face of hopelessness and fear. While they all have their challenges, some of the other Narnia adventures seem at times like a bit more of a vacation in comparison to SC- there is very little enjoyable about Eustace and Jill's journey in this book. However, I think this makes SC all the more realistic and inspiring. And, of course, there's Puddleglum's famous speech to the Lady of the Green Kirtle when he resists her enchantment and defends his belief in the Overworld, Narnia, and Aslan, which is one of my favorite parts of the entire series.

HHB-

I knew very little about HHB before I read it, and I was a little worried it wouldn't quite measure up to the other books. The story takes place entirely in Narnia, Calormen, and Archenland, unlike the other books which have a least a small part taking place in our own world. And it follows characters born in Archenland, Calormen and Narnia, never having been (and perhaps never having heard of) our world. However, my doubts disappeared shortly after I began the book. I simply couldn't get enough of HHB. I would now argue that what makes it different sets it apart from the other stories, and makes HHB a refreshing and exciting adventure. I love the characters of Shasta, Aravis, Bree, Hwin, and especially Prince Corin. I find the relationship between Shasta and Aravis very sweet- it's funny how they clash at first (and supposedly continue to do so until and throughout their marriage Giggle ). I simply adore the colorful settings of Calormen and Archenland, the clever humor, and the well-paced and exciting story line of HHB. It's such a unique book. The imagery of the scene where Aslan visits Shasta is simply amazing, adding to what is already one of the most beautiful and touching moments of the Chronicles.

LWW-

LWW is the book that began the series and the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia I ever read, so, of course, LWW is special, too! Sometimes I find the beginning a little slow, being so familiar with the story and knowing the best parts lay ahead. But, overall, LWW is amazing. I think it makes the perfect introduction to the Chronicles of Narnia. And, though it's heart-wrenching, the death and resurrection of Aslan is one of the most memorable parts of the entire series. I love the contrast of the quiet, serene winter with the lively, vibrant spring. I love Edmund's redemption as well. He was really quite horrid in the beginning of the book, but nearing the end he takes a big risk to save his family and Narnia, destroying the Witch's wand (and he likely would've died from the wound he received in the process if it weren't for Lucy's miraculous healing cordial). It's such a wonderful and complete turnaround. It goes to show that anyone can change- with a little help.

MN-

MN has some slow parts, as well, but, all in all, I really enjoyed it. This was the second Narnia book I read (LWW being the first, which I was required to read in fifth grade). After reading LWW for my English class (and thoroughly enjoying it :)), I sought to read the rest of the series. I was in elementary school at the time, and, from what I could gather, MN was the first book of the Chronicles of Narnia. I remember the story intriguing me (with the curious depictions of the Wood Between the Worlds and Charn, the sweet and daring Polly and Digory, as well as the enchanting beginning of Narnia, MN was like nothing I had ever read before, excepting LWW, of course), but, for some reason or another, I think I was unable to finish it. I eventually forgot all about any other books in the Chronicles, besides LWW, and didn't recall I had ever began MN until years later, when I remembered about the series (thanks to my siblings having a marathon of the Walden movies  Giggle ) and began it again, in chronological order. Starting with MN, I fell in love with Narnia once again, this time even more than before. Thus, MN has, and always will have, a special place in my heart. I'll never be able to forget the Chronicles of Narnia again!

PC-

PC used to be my least favorite of the Chronicles of Narnia (for the slow beginning), but, after re-reading it, I have a new found appreciation for this book. I like it about as much as MN, LB, and LWW. It has a wonderful theme and some very beautiful moments. I remember the scene where Lucy wakes in the middle of the night to Aslan and the dryads to be especially enchanting. I love how it exhibits the growth of the Pevensie's since LWW, especially Edumund. Not to mention the wonderful new characters introduced, such as Trufflehunter, Trumpkin, Reepicheep,  and Caspian himself.

LB-

I might have considered LB better than the rest, but for the middle/beginning which I didn't enjoy as much (I wish I could say precisely why, but I don't quite know). The end of LB, however, more than makes up for it. The actual last battle of LB, the fall of Narnia, and the parts in Aslan's kingdom are both heart-wrenching and awe-inspiring; they are some of the most emotional and beautiful scenes in the whole series. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by rainyweather

"We shall all, in the end,
be led to where we belong.
We shall all, in the end,
find our way home."

- The Beatryce Prophecy by Kate DiCamillo

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2022 11:39 pm
Courtenay liked
nathanael
(@nathanael)
NarniaWeb Newbie

1. The Horse and His Boy
I love the character development, humour, and the setting of the story, in Tashbaan, the desert, and the mountains of Archenland

2. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

3. The Silver Chair

4. The Magician’s Nephew

5. Prince Caspian

6. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

7. The Last Battle
Still enjoyed it but it’s not as good as the others, and I found the universalist theology to be a bit dodgy in my view.

Edit: I mean inclusivist, not sure why I said universalist, my bad. My problem was essentially Emeth’s salvation without knowing Aslan.

This post was modified 2 years ago by nathanael
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 30, 2022 4:24 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @nathanael

7. The Last Battle
Still enjoyed it but it’s not as good as the others, and I found the universalist theology to be a bit dodgy in my view.

Just wondering, and I hope you won't mind me asking — what universalist theology? C.S. Lewis wasn't a universalist, and he makes it pretty clear in LB that not everyone is admitted into Aslan's country in the end.

(I hope this isn't an inappropriate question or subject — I'm aware there are also threads for discussions of theology, if it would be better off there.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2022 2:38 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @nathanael

I found the universalist theology to be a bit dodgy in my view.

Posted by: @courtenay

C.S. Lewis wasn't a universalist, and he makes it pretty clear in LB that not everyone is admitted into Aslan's country in the end.

I think Nathanel meant to write inclusivist, not universalist. I'm not an expert on the terminology, but from what I understand that's the more correct term for C. S. Lewis's beliefs about salvation and damnation.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2022 2:56 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

(I hope this isn't an inappropriate question or subject — I'm aware there are also threads for discussions of theology, if it would be better off there.)

Religion is kind of a sensitive topic, like politics. Each person has it's own views, and it can get into a heated argument.

When it comes to inclusive, it may imply that not just the Narnians, but any non-Narnians who chose to serve Aslan. Caspian X was a Telmarine, yet he still chose to follow Aslan. Most of the Telmarines had tried to wipe out memories of Old Narnia and pretended it never happened. Caspian was taking a different path than his Telmarine ancestors, and helped bring back the old days to help change the path of Narnia's history.

The same with Emeth, who said he has been serving Tash out of love and devotion, but was actually serving Aslan. Aslan even addresses, "All that has done good and just in the service of Tash has done to me and those who have done evil in my mind has done to Tash." Throughout the book, Shift takes the name of Aslan and uses that to get the Narnians to serve him. Aslan would never cut down trees and murder dryads or sale Narnians to slavery in Calormen. However, Emeth was eager to see Tash face to face, and had been serving him since childhood. But he ended up meeting with Aslan instead.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2022 3:25 pm
Page 11 / 12
Share: