Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Fairy Tales Elements in Narnia

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Even though Narnia is not a fairy tale, it does have elements of a fairy tale. CS Lewis dedicated The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe to Lucy Barfield and wrote:

My Dear Lucy,

I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realised that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say but I shall still be,

your affectionate Godfather,

CS Lewis

Some of us might think that fairy tales are just for children, but it can be enjoyed by adults as well.

There are giants in Narnia, like Rumblebuffin and Wimbleweather. There are countless stories in fairy tales about giants, one best known is perhaps Jack and the Bean Stalk. The Silver Chair mentions that Jill flinched at the sound of giants, because she read stories and met one in a nightmare.

Dragons are very popular in fairy tales. A dragon has been known to fights knights, burn down crops, attack villages, capture fair maidens, and horde treasure. Eustace was turned into a dragon when he wanted to keep all the treasure for himself. Jewel mentions in The Last Battle that King Gale rescued the Lone Islands from a dragon. However, there is no mention of saving a fair maiden involved, which I actually kind of fine with. It's almost too cliche to having to rescue a fair maiden from a dragon. I actually kind of like the idea of a whole nation being saved from a dragon.

And you could even say that The Horse And His Boy is "Arabian Nights in Narnia." Arabian Nights is a collection of stories. It is mention that Calormenes fear ghouls, and ghouls are in the Arabian folklore. I honestly don't know how ghouls could haunt the tombs of the ancient kings in Calormen in the South and be in the army of the White Witch in the North.

And not to mention there are castles in Narnia. When you look at the illustration, the castles almost look like what you would imagine to be in fairy tales.

So while Narnia is not a fairy tale, it does have some fairy tale elements. Some of us might thing we're too old for fairy tales, but it can actually be enjoyed by children and adults alike. There are some who might think that they're too old for Narnia. But a lot of us on here who are adults enjoy the series just as much.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 12, 2023 2:23 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The advantage of the Narnia stories and George MacDonald’s fairy tales is that we know something about who wrote them. With Grimm’s fairy tales the stories were collected by the brothers Grimm and we don’t know much about the people who originally made them up. The stories have a very mysterious background which goes back for centuries.  J. R R. Tolkien was able to draw from a similar background from centuries before to write his books. I think that what makes the stories so intriguing is that Europe’s distant past was recreated by authors that lived in more modern times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2023 3:09 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Remember the scene in LWW where Edmund first encounters the White Witch, whose in a sleigh? CS Lewis may have got some inspiration from Hans Christian Andersen's tale The Snow Queen. There's actually almost a similar scene to that, where Kai encounters the Snow Queen in a sleigh. You can almost see the resemblances between those two scenes (except for the part about the hot drink and Turkish Delight).

Dwarfs are very popular in fairy tales. And much like in fairy tales, dwarfs in Narnia are known for their mining and crafting.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2023 4:36 pm
Col Klink liked
Share: