Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Distance in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I reread The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe the other day. It was awesome as usual. But something bugged me that never bugged me when I read it (or watched or listen to any adaptations of it) before. 

It takes Peter, Susan, Lucy and the beavers most of the night and almost a whole day to get from the beavers' dam (which is near the valley of the White Witch's house) to the Stone Table. (Then they go to the ford of Beruna but that doesn't seem to take as much time.) But then Aslan goes from the Table to the Witch's house in a matter of hours. I'm OK with that since he's supernatural. But how do the reinforcements he leads get all the way from there to Beruna so swiftly? The book doesn't mention the time of day so maybe they actually arrived in the evening. But if they ran for that long, wouldn't they be too exhausted to fight when they got there? 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2024 7:21 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I always wondered about how big Narnia actually was. Narnia and Archenland were both much smaller than Calormen, but do the books give any hint of the actual size?  It would be interesting to know if people and talking animals could travel across it in a short time, e.g., in a few days. Apparently there was no need for motorized vehicles there, and the people and talking animals were fine traveling without them. Narnia was a world much like medieval England or Europe, where most modern conveniences were unnecessary and unwanted. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2024 5:53 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I remember that people and talking animals usually travelled by walking or using their feet in Narnia. So there wasn’t that much of a need to get anywhere fast. I guess Narnia would have been a hiker’s paradise. I guess there wasn’t much of a need for stores or businesses, or at least I don’t remember them being mentioned very often except for those in Calormen and the tribute that the people of the islands had to pay in Dawn Treader. There were high taxes under Miraz so there had to be people to collect them.  I guess crops were harvested without any machinery since Narnians apparently had not much use for it. The same was true for Tolkien’s Middle Earth.  So it simply took the inhabitants longer to do things than in our world or to travel anywhere.  It’s a lifestyle that people in our world probably couldn’t live with, but in many ways it was better. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2024 4:47 am
WielderOfRhindon04
(@wielderofrhindon04)
NarniaWeb Newbie
  1. @col-klink Maybe I can help you with this issue. It has been a while since I posted, but I'm back ;). First, I don't think you have to look to much to the supernatural powers of Aslan. Of course they helped, but there is a huge difference between four kids who don't know the way and two beavers (who are mostly accustomed to water) and a running lion! Also, you can read in the books that all the Swift creatures carry the slower creatures so they can speed up. This still should have taken a while, but remember that these animals just received Aslan's breath upon them, which gives power throughout the books. Lastly, about the exhaustion in battle, I think thats an adrenaline boost when they see their friends threatened. I remember myself after a long mountain hike seeing the end of the road, and out of pure joy I was there I ran the last 100 metres, although I was exhausted. I can imagine this being a similar situation, only with courage instead of joy. I hope this helps, just ny thoughts!
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2024 2:26 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

There didn’t seem to be any problem with covering distance at the end of The Last Battle.  In the new Narnia it was possible to run anywhere without taking much time.  I guess in the new Narnia there was no need for measuring tools.  I am not really sure if they were used in the old Narnia, although they must have used something to build the castles such as Cair Paravel.  I guess roads were built without machinery since apparently they needed them for travel.  It may have been similar to medieval England or Europe since Narnia was like those times and places in so many other ways.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2024 1:31 am
Cleander liked
Share: