Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Did Aslan visit Narnia during the Pevensies’ reign?

AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular

Most people probably remember this passage towards the end of LWW:

But amidst all these rejoicings Aslan himself quietly slipped away. And when the Kings and Queens noticed that he wasn't there they said nothing about it. For Mr Beaver had warned them, "He'll be coming and going," he had said. "One day you'll see him and another you won't. He doesn't like being tied down and of course he has other countries to attend to. It's quite all right. He'll often drop in. Only you mustn't press him. He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."

So basically it sounds Aslan would sometimes come for “dinner visits” while the kids were reigning, although Lewis doesn’t really elaborate on that when he goes on to describe the Pevensies’ reign in Narnia.

However, later material makes it seem like at the time of PC, Aslan hadn’t been in Narnia since the events of LWW (his scenes in HHB being set in Calormene and Archenland). I’m kind of disappointed by this, but I’m not sure if it’s even true, it might have just been the implication I got. I do remember reading on a biography section for Aslan that he disappeared out of Narnia for “a number of years”, but perhaps it was simply mistaken. Does anyone know if it was ever confirmed that Aslan never visited Narnia between LWW and PC? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 22, 2024 3:24 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

The only thing I can think of in the books that could be considered "confirmation" that Aslan didn't return to Narnia until the events of Prince Caspian is this bit. 

....do not the stories say that the Witch defeated Aslan, and bound
him, and killed him on that very stone which is over there, just beyond
the light?"
"But they also say that he came to life again," said the Badger
sharply.
"Yes, they say," answered Nikabrik, "but you'll notice that we hear
precious little about anything he did afterwards. He just fades out of
the story.

Of course, Nikabrik isn't necessarily a trustworthy source for what happened during Narnia's golden age. Even Dr. Cornelius isn't that. (He and the other Narnians seem to believe that Susan's horn will only work once when that's never mentioned in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Of course, it's Susan's horn. It could be that the horn works an infinite number of times for Susan and only once for everybody else.) So if you'd like to imagine that Aslan made other visits to Narnia while the Pevensies were reigning and we just don't hear about them, go ahead and imagine it. And if anyone else prefers the idea that he didn't return to Narnia until Prince Caspian, they can go ahead and imagine that too. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2024 3:34 pm
Share: