Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Food Offered In Narnia

coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I am listening to the FOTF radio drama of The Silver Chair, just when Rilian has invited the three travellers to eat and drink with him. The thought struck me that it might not be a safe thing to do. I then remembered that several such offers in the Chronicles were unsafe or mixed. 

The most obvious unsafe one is the White Witch offering Edmund a hot drink and food.  What other instances of uncertain hospitality can you think of? And conversely, instances of unselfish or brave hospitality?  (I thought of the small creatures who helped Tirian when he was tied up).

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2024 1:26 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I would say there's another good example in The Silver Chair — when Jill and Eustace and Puddleglum are offered the Giants' "hospitality" at Harfang. First of all, being served venison and unexpectedly finding out, from the Giants gossiping in the background, that they've been eating a Talking Stag, which to a Narnian is equal to cannibalism. And then of course finding out just what's on the menu for the Giants' Autumn Feast... Shocked Shocked Shocked  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2024 12:27 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I guess all the hospitality that Susan and Edmund and their companions are shown in Tashbaan counts, too - not that there is anything wrong with what is served them. but that the whole situation is meant to tie them up to the promise of leaving Susan behind as a bride for Prince Rabadash.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Varnafinde

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2024 9:32 am
coracle liked
Share: