Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Best title

Page 1 / 3
Glumpuddle
(@gp)
News Poster, Podcast Producer

Which title in The Chronicles of Narnia do you think is the best?

Sometimes, I don't like the title of a book until after I read it. Are there any Narnia titles like that for you?

(First post with new avatar - #4346)

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle

Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2011 6:33 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

I voted for The Magician's Nephew. It just sounds so mysterious. Magicians are mysterious to begin with. You wonder what kind of magician he is; if he's good or evil. Then you wonder, but it's not about the Magician... it's about his nephew. Hmm... What makes the Nephew more special than the magician? And then you want to read and find out. ;)

The title I didn't much care for at first was The Silver Chair. At first I was thinking... a whole book about a chair? ;)) But I liked the book itself once I read it. :)

~Riella =:)

Posted : April 4, 2011 2:10 am
Glumpuddle
(@gp)
News Poster, Podcast Producer

I voted LWW, because I think it has a wonderful "long ago, far away" quality to it somehow. And I think it's somewhat intriguing because you wonder including those three seemingly unconnected things together makes you wonder what the story is.

I really thought about voting HHB, because obviously it's ironic (a horse owning a boy?) and it describes Bree and Shasta's relationship perfectly.

I considered MN for the reasons Ithilwen gave.

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle

Topic starter Posted : April 4, 2011 9:06 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

I really like The Horse and His Boy. I think that it shows a really deep connection to the story in that it has a double meaning. On one hand, you've got a proud horse being tied through the title to a beggar boy. On the other hand, you've got a beggar boy being tied through the title to a war horse.

After Bree's transformation, and Shasta's "promotion," you get the same thing, only backwards. A future king tied to a humble horse, thus promoting humility as a royal, and a humble horse, tied to the crown, promoting responsibility.

I don't know, to me it just showed a TON of insight.

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : April 4, 2011 9:15 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Umm.... Ummmm..... um?

(*realizes that is not a title*)
Oi...

(*tries to think reeeaaaalllllllllyyyyy hard*)

uhhhh....

Ok... I don't think I can pick just one. Infact I don't think I can even say that any aren't as good as the others... So how does undecided sound?

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : April 4, 2011 4:45 pm
Shy Galadriel
(@shy-galadriel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I picked the Horse and His Boy; before I even read any of the books that title was really funny to me. Of all the book titles it seems to stand out the most. I agree with gP that LWW is unique as well, but it didn't jerk my attention towards it like HHB did.
"What did you just say?"
"You need to read this book."
"No, what you called the book."
"The Horse and His Boy?"
"Don't you mean the Boy and His Horse?"
"Nope, that's the name."
"... Is it another Narnia book?"
"Yup."
"Gimme."

I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3

Posted : April 5, 2011 6:31 am
stateofgreen
(@stateofgreen)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I picked VDT. I like LWW as a title but something about the orange Macmillan book cover of VDT was inviting. I don't know. I was a kid then. But then I read the book (as GP mentioned above not liking the title until reading the book) and then I thought the title was the best of them all.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq
Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club
Great Transformations-Eustace Scrubb

Posted : April 5, 2011 9:31 pm
Eagle Scout
(@eagle-scout)
NarniaWeb Junkie

the last battle- it works the best with the contents for me. It is seriously the last battle, as in no more- never- and really not a lot else either.

It also works as its the last book .

memento mori

Posted : April 6, 2011 2:29 pm
Radagast of Mirkwood
(@radagast-of-mirkwood)
NarniaWeb Regular

Great topic glumPuddle :D

The best, I think it is probably The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe it has just a mystery to it. What is the Lion? Who is the Witch? What on earth does a wardrobe have to do with it? It indicates three main characters in the story without giving anything away about the plot.

The worst, Silver Chair. I just think it is one event in the story, even if it is an important event. It doesn't really show the entire book.

Protector of the Birds and Beasts of Middle Earth.

Posted : April 7, 2011 4:06 am
Lion's Emblem
(@lions-emblem)
NarniaWeb Guru

Wow, that's a tough one. I've never really sat down to think about it, for of course, all the titles have grabbed my attention at one time or another.

I think that ultimately, and this is a really hard choice, I have to go with The Magician's Nephew. Mainly because, when paired with the cover illustration, the first time I picked up the book I had to wonder just who was the Magician's nephew. Was he from Narnia like Shasta or someone from this side of the door?, with even more speculation of who the Magician was.

If we want to go even deeper, I also really like the titles that were not choosen for the books, especially Night Falls on Narnia for The Last Battle. Maybe that's the best title :) .

Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan

Posted : April 7, 2011 6:01 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Horse and his boy, my least fav being silver chair.

Posted : April 9, 2011 3:49 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I like The Voyage of The Dawn Treader best. First because it's my favorite book and second it sounds very intriguing.

Boy Scout, I like the sounded of The Last Battle, too. But don't thinking I could ever pick as the best title, because my brother has an military book called The Last Battle.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Posted : April 12, 2011 10:41 am
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I went for The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, it's a very entising title, I think it is the best, it leaves you thinking 'a lion...interesting...a witch....cool...a wardrobe...huh....what does that mean...I think I should read it' :) second I like the titles The Last Battle

always be humble and kind

Posted : April 15, 2011 9:35 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I think VotDT is my favorite with HHB in close second :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : April 18, 2011 11:46 am
GlimGlum
(@glimglum)
Member Moderator

I voted for The Voyage of The Dawn Treader because I like that name for a ship and it sounds very adventerous (and probably because it's my favorite book). ;)

But The Magician's Nephew would be a close second now as the book and title have grown on me over time.

Loyal2Tirian
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.

Posted : April 18, 2011 12:42 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: