Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 19: The Duel Within

DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

1. Why would Orual give Bardia the "choicest ring" from her hand for his wife Ansit, when she dislikes Ansit? What does this tell us about Orual?

It was of course the gods' old trick; blow the bubble up big before you p***k it.

Is this true, even from Orual's perspective? Have all of the difficulties in her life come about solely because of the gods, or have her problems arisen from her own choices?

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2010 3:39 pm
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. I think this would be because she still likes Bardia and wants to please him. It would seem to show that she was good at hiding her true feelings about a situation, but I'm not sure.
2. No, I don't think all the troubles in her life are because of the gods. But because of her grudge against the gods, she likes to think they are. Some disasters in her life have happened because of the gods (Psyche's sacrifice), but many others (Psyche going into exile) were her own fault.

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2010 2:14 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Why would Orual give Bardia the "choicest ring" from her hand for his wife Ansit, when she dislikes Ansit? What does this tell us about Orual?

I guess she did it because she likes Bardia. The only reason she doesn't like Ansit is because she wants to be the only one important to Bardia. I wonder if she is trying to make up for what she did to Psyche by not losing her temper and being generous. Or she could have done it because it was a very queenly thing to do.

It was of course the gods' old trick; blow the bubble up big before you p***k it.

Is this true, even from Orual's perspective? Have all of the difficulties in her life come about solely because of the gods, or have her problems arisen from her own choices?

If Orual were to really think about it, I think she would know that she has a had a part to play in her difficulties. What she did to Psyche was her own doing. There are moments when she recognizes it. Some probably did come from the gods (the bad weather, the lions, Psyche's sacrifice) but most came from her attitudes and actions.

Edit

No, I don't think all the troubles in her life are because of the gods. But because of her grudge against the gods, she likes to think they are.

Nice way of putting this. She does like to blame the gods.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2010 11:46 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

1. I think she gave Bardia the ring because she wanted to show she cared for him and that was the only way she knew how. It was also a political gesture because she gave it to him in public. Everyone there saw that Bardia was Orual's right-hand man and that he was favored.

2. The only person to be blamed for most of Orual's problems is Orual herself. She thinks everything that has gone wrong in her life is entirely the gods doing. At this point she thinks the gods are trying to lull her into a sense of security and so she is anticipating that something will go wrong.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2010 1:46 pm
DOECOG
(@doecog)
NarniaWeb Nut

1. I think this is a passive aggressive gesture on Orual’s part. She wants to prove to herself or maybe the gods that she can put his happiness first, but really she is still just competing to prove she loves him more than his wife.
2. Most if not all of Orual’s problems are the result of people. She is responsible for the guilt she feels for betraying Psyche. Her father and the priest were the ones who decided to sacrifice Psyche.

DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2010 6:25 pm
Share: