Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 22

Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What do we learn about Screwtape's character in this letter? What do we learn about Wormwood's?

2. Why does Screwtape dislike silence?

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 20, 2012 1:39 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. I think we get the idea that both of them are selfish backstabbers, ready to take advantage of any slip on the other's part.

I ran across a description of Lewis reading Screwtape aloud to the Inklings that mentions they found it uproariously funny. This is one of the chapters that I've found extra humourous. So far, the humour I've observed has been sentences that make you smile as well as wince at the observations against yourself; but in this one there's something in Screwtape's pettiness and passionate frustrations (sending the illustrated booklet to Wormwood =)) ) that turn malevolence into comedy.

2. Silence forces you to think, and thinking is the worst thing you can do -- from Screwtape's perspective.

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2012 4:55 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. What do we learn about Screwtape's character in this letter? What do we learn about Wormwood's?
Screwtape gets very emotional in this letter. He doesn't hold any of his feelings back. We see a different side of him. Obviously, we know hatred is a part of his character, but it really comes out here. In this letter, he forgets his role of adviser and the voice of reason. We learn some of his pet peeves - Christians of the girl's type and music and silence.

We see that although Wormwood has a lot to learn about working on a patient, he understands the system on which Hell operates. As Mel said, he's a backstabber and is ready to take advantage of slips on Screwtape's part.

While I wouldn't have thought of it myself, I agree with Mel that silence allows people to think and Screwtape does want people to think. Also, Screwtape likes suffering and silence often gives human a sense of peace.

This letter definitely is one of the more funny ones. ;)) Probably because it is more about Screwtape's failings and dislikes than a comment on traps people fall into. :P It is amusing seeing Screwtape get so worked up about the girl and her family.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 21, 2012 11:13 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. Well, as evidenced by the ending, Screwtape has a temper. ;)) Also, as he shows in the beginning, Screwtape doesn't seem to have any real affection for Wormwood. He seems to just be pretending - which, considering his constant lectures on how all "Our Father's" servants are only out for themselves, makes sense. ;)) He's also rather irrational considering how furious he is at Wormwood for actually following Screwtape's preaching about this.
Wormwood is rather sneaky and, just like his uncle, only out for his own good. ;))

2. Like Mel (and PP) said, silence promotes thinking and reflection. True reflection - not inward navel-gazing centered on oneself - will point to our own sins and God's righteousness. Silence is void of distractions and can therefore point us toward seeing things as they really are, and thus showing us the truth.

And I agree - this chapter is quite funny. Screwtape really does lose control of himself and we get to see him more as he truly is and, like he mentions of the girl, makes us think how humourous he is. ;))

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2012 2:07 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

1. What do we learn about Screwtape's character in this letter? What do we learn about Wormwood's? He gets easily upset with demons when they mess up, and seems to lose his temper. Wormwood thinks he is in the right all the time and does not listen to Screwtape a lot of the time.

It helps you reflect on what has been going on.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2012 8:42 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I chuckled aloud reading this one. ;)) His rant about the Patient's girl reminds me of the slapstick humor in the HHB when Aravis and Las are eavesdropping on the conversation between the Tisroc, the Vizier, and Rabadash.

I can imagine Screwtape working himself up into quite a frenzy only to find that he's "inadvertently" transformed himself into a large centipede. Then he references a "more modern" writer with a name like Pshaw. ;))

1. Both are out for themselves, as we might expect. Any civility Screwtape expresses in his other letters is betrayed by his temper here.

2. Silence, as has been noted, allows reflection and evaluation of our lives and contemplation on the glory of the One we serve.

Still, I think we could make a distinction between the Noise Screwtape talks about ("the audible expression of all that is exultant, ruthless, and vile") and more-ordinary sounds: the soft echo of a birdcall, the thundering crash of waves on the shore or a waterfall, the call of the crickets on a starlit summer night. These sounds may not necessarily be a distraction to our meditation, but an aid, in reminding us of the majesty of the Creator. It depends on the situation, I think.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2012 6:29 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

We learn that Wormwood isn't the eager-to-learn pupil we might expect, and that he's actually very treacherous, trying to get Screwtape taken off his seat. We see a very dark side of Screwtape, which is to be expected. But we also get to see how deluded Screwtape is in his beliefs. It's amazing how someone can be so clever and yet so blind.

I think he dislikes it because it's peaceful, and because it's not chaotic the way noise is. Although, I think Lewis gives noise a bit of unnecessary criticism by writing that. Both silence and noise are equally created by God, after all.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2012 5:56 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think that this is the first letter in the collection where Lewis the Philosopher takes a backseat to Lewis the Storyteller. (Of course, I may be mistaken, and perhaps the philosophical points of what a good Christian life should look like, shown in the example of the young lady and her family, are the most important in the book.)

In this letter we find a turn in the story. The young patient is no longer alone in his fight against temptation. He has met good help. A partner to stay by his side through good times and bad. -And someone who is living out good Christian love.

There is also a development in the story of the devils, and we see here, more than in any previous letter, their loathing for and their struggling against each other.

Silence and prayer go well together.

Although, I think Lewis gives noise a bit of unnecessary criticism by writing that. Both silence and noise are equally created by God, after all.

I think your criticism of Lewis would depend entirely upon what it is that Lewis calls "noise". I don't think he would agree that all sound is noise. As stargazer points out:

Still, I think we could make a distinction between the Noise Screwtape talks about ("the audible expression of all that is exultant, ruthless, and vile") and more-ordinary sounds: the soft echo of a birdcall, the thundering crash of waves on the shore or a waterfall, the call of the crickets on a starlit summer night. These sounds may not necessarily be a distraction to our meditation, but an aid, in reminding us of the majesty of the Creator. It depends on the situation, I think.

I wouldn't call these sorts of sounds noise. I would call them what they are: music. It is not for no reason that we say birds "sing" or that we call a group of frogs a "chorus".

Remember, Screwtape hates music and silence both.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2012 8:38 am
Share: