Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Letter 17

Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

1. Screwtape talks about gluttony of Delicacy. What do you think of this phrase? Is it a good way to describe how the patient's mother acts or would another way be better?

2. Does "All-I-want" apply to things other than food as well? Why or why not?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 28, 2012 3:29 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. I kind of like the phrase. ;)) It's a pretty good way to put it. There might be a better way to describe the mother, but if so I'm not sure what it is. :)

2. I would say so, yes. The entire idea of wanting something just so because of how you remember or imagine it to be can extend to any number of things---clothes, housing, equipment, and even people and relationships.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2012 5:00 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

1. Screwtape talks about gluttony of Delicacy. What do you think of this phrase? Is it a good way to describe how the patient's mother acts or would another way be better?
On the one hand, it bothers me because gluttony clearly means eating and drinking in excess thus it shouldn't be applied to delicacy. On the other hand it is an interesting word picture, and I can't come up with a better short phrase to describe it. :P

I think it can, but I think it would work best for food. Food is a necessity and one that doesn't last long. For many people, that allows for at least three opportunities a day to be caught in the "All-I-want" mindset.

I'm reading Emma and two of the characters were acting just like the patient's mother.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 20, 2012 9:54 am
Melian_Maia
(@melian_maia)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I quite like this phrase. I find that it fits the fault quite well.

Absolutely! My small group and I are going through Daniel this summer and we've been talking about the Babylon Mentality. Basically, we feel as though in this society it's extremely easy for us to be consumed with 'me and what I want/need'. It's a mentality focused solely on selfish needs and the "All-I-want" reminded me of that.

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie!Secret Order of the Swoosh

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2012 8:42 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

I agree with Melian_Maia!
I really think Lewis' description of the mothers actions is a good definition! :)

Yes!
-Looks (all I want is to look like them)
-Materialistic Things (all I want is the newest car)
-To be like someone (all I want is to be like them)
I think when we keep looking at what we want, we can lose track of what we have been Blessed with and Given by God.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2012 9:21 pm
Melian_Maia
(@melian_maia)
NarniaWeb Junkie

-Looks (all I want is to look like them)
-Materialistic Things (all I want is the newest car)
-To be like someone (all I want is to be like them)
I think when we keep looking at what we want, we can lose track of what we have been Blessed with and Given by God.

Good point there at the end, 7chronicles. I definitely agree that the more we are consumed with the "All-I-want" the harder it is to focus on God and what he's done for us. I think as we become more and more focused on what we don't have it's increasingly difficult for us to be satisfied with what God has given us.

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie!Secret Order of the Swoosh

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2012 10:25 pm
Eustace
(@eustace)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It makes a lot of sense if you keep them from thinking of themselves as a glutton then they will likely not think that there is anything to fix but they will still care about food too much to the point of food is their god. Yes, it is a good way of describing how the mother of the patient acts.

Yes, I believe it does. Because it just is trying to say that all I want is really important but at the same time thinking that you are not caring too much about that thing.

Redeemed-Cousins-1
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2012 11:39 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

1. The 'gluttony of Delicacy' is an interesting phrase - sort of an oxymoron because we think of gluttony as excess, but so often delicacies (like caviar) are served in small portions because they're quite expensive.

I think it's useful here because the Patient's mother would no doubt never consider herself a glutton in the usual sense (after all, she's refusing to eat a lot, rather than consuming a lot), but it's still an obsession with food that's the issue.

2. I think "All-I-want" can apply to other things too. Perhaps not quite in the sense Screwtape uses (which emphasizes the All), but rather that it emphasizes the I - distracting us away from other people and perhaps even God, in favor of what I want.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 25, 2012 3:55 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

I think it's a good description. I think it may also be a form of pride and snobbery, as well as showing off.

Certainly. What it is, at the core, is a case of having what one believes to be a virtue, and showing it off - even at the expense of other people's time and convenience. This can be done in almost anything.

~Riella =:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 25, 2012 6:31 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think it works perfectly well. Looking up the word in the dictionary gives two definitions:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gluttony

The first is what we typically think of:

1 : excess in eating or drinking

The second is, I think, what Lewis is referring to:

2 : greedy or excessive indulgence

The excessiveness in this case is not in the amount of food, but the exactness in how it should be prepared and served.

I think so. At any point when you are using simplicity as a pretext for inconveniencing, specific exactness you may be using the "All-I-want" excuse.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2012 6:59 pm
Share: