Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chapter 10: The Spell Begins to Break

daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

1. If you had been in the Beavers' house when the decision to leave was made, would you have sided with Mrs. Beaver or the others? Why?

2. What does Mrs. Beaver's attachment to her sewing machine say about her character?

3. C.S. Lewis makes a point of describing Father Christmas as more solemn than we usually think of him in our world. Why do you think he does this?

4. Why do you think Father Christmas takes the time to explain the purpose of each of the Pevensies' gifts?

5. What do you think Father Christmas meant by his advice to Lucy about fighting?

6. What caught your attention in this chapter? Did you have a favorite or least favorite part?

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 26, 2013 5:29 am
King_Erlian
(@king_erlian)
NarniaWeb Guru

1. If you had been in the Beavers' house when the decision to leave was made, would you have sided with Mrs. Beaver or the others? Why?
I would have been all panicky and wanted to get off straight away, but Mrs. Beaver is really being very sensible. She knows that they're not going to get to the Stone Table before the Witch, and that they may possibly have to hide for a while to wait for an opportunity to get through.

2. What does Mrs. Beaver's attachment to her sewing machine say about her character?
Perhaps the machine had some sentimental value, such as being passed down from her mother and her grandmother, as well as practical value.

3. C.S. Lewis makes a point of describing Father Christmas as more solemn than we usually think of him in our world. Why do you think he does this?
Father Christmas indicates that the children have to prepare for war, especially Peter. This isn't a jolly kids' Christmas where you get the toys you've been pestering your parents for.

4. Why do you think Father Christmas takes the time to explain the purpose of each of the Pevensies' gifts?
For Peter, he is saying that the sword and shield are to be used; they aren't just symbolic, or a fancy-dress costume. The girls' gifts (the horn and the healing juice) have magical properties which the girls wouldn't have known about.

5. What do you think Father Christmas meant by his advice to Lucy about fighting?
The comment "Battles are ugly when women fight" - could this be a comment by Lewis on the Second World War, where women began to take on combative roles, being "more ugly" than earlier wars? Not because women were fighting, but because somehow warfare had stepped up a notch so that all kinds of people, not just "fighting men", were drawn into it?

6. What caught your attention in this chapter? Did you have a favorite or least favorite part?
I'd forgotten that Lewis had described Father Christmas as being dressed in red; when I saw the film, I imagined that the brown leather clothing Father Christmas wore was more like Lewis' intentions. I'm glad they did that in the film, though, as we're so used to the image of the "jolly red Santa" that it may have been harder to take him seriously as a character.

Very generous of Father Christmas to fix Mr. Beaver's dam for him. Can he tidy up my apartment this Christmas? :-)

Other thoughts:

1. I must confess to being a bit annoyed by Lewis' comment about Mr. Beaver's "bad grammar". It sounds like he's talking down to his readers. Besides, I'd say "It isn't her". Saying "It isn't she" would sound awfully contrived, even if it is grammatically correct (although maybe that's because I'm reading it in 2013 and not 1950).

2. The sword was "just the right size and weight for Peter to use". Does that mean that when Peter grew to be a man, it would have been too small and light for him? (This would be the same sword that they would find in the ruins of Cair Paravel at the beginning of PC.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 28, 2013 3:42 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

1. I think it depends. I would have naturally panicked too, but as has happened in other situations, I think I may've calmed down for a minute and thought about it logically. I also know that I'm more likely to try to think things through when there are others I'm responsible for, so I agree that packing was a good idea. Maybe moving a little faster at it would've been good, though. ;))

2. It's very practical and maybe kind of comforting, if she's spent a lot of time using it throughout the years. Which would kind of sum up her character to an extent, practical and comforting. ;))

3. Ditto what King_Erlian said. There's joy to Father Christmas and his visit, but it's more solemn than giddy. He's not the end-all, as he's often treated in our world, but is a sign of something greater (here, Aslan returning).

4. Because the gifts aren't self-explanatory? ;)) Like King_Erlian said, there's more to the girl's gifts than meet the eye, and Peter needs to know that he's about to go into battle.

The comment "Battles are ugly when women fight" - could this be a comment by Lewis on the Second World War, where women began to take on combative roles, being "more ugly" than earlier wars? Not because women were fighting, but because somehow warfare had stepped up a notch so that all kinds of people, not just "fighting men", were drawn into it?

Oh! I had never thought of it that way before! That would make sense; the battles are ugly because it's not just taking place on a distant field with soldiers, but in the hearts of countries and "at home", where women (and children, to an extent) are drawn in by necessity. I suppose there could also be some part thinking back to old warrior queens; they often came to very nasty ends, from what I remember (mainly, I suppose, thinking of Boudica).

I agree with King_Erlian that Lewis' comment about bad grammar rubbed me a bit. But maybe that had more to do with the fact that I kept rereading Mr. Beaver's comment and couldn't figure out the problem because it sounded so natural.
Also, good point about Peter's sword! Maybe it kind of grew with him? Or maybe it didn't; it would've been the right size for him again in PC.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2014 12:01 pm
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

I can see both sides, but unless I was sure of obtaining help along the way I would at least grab some food. I wouldn't be long about it though.
She is very much a housewife type. Sewing is an important part of her life.
It helps set up the gifts he gives. It is hard picturing a Father Christmas who is only funny and jolly giving out weapons. It adds to the feeling of magic in Narnia.
They are not normal gifts for children. Some of them have special properties.
I hope to come back to this one later.

Edit:

1. I must confess to being a bit annoyed by Lewis' comment about Mr. Beaver's "bad grammar".

That is actually one of my favorite parts. ;)) I love little asides like that and I am fascinated by grammar.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2014 4:21 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Probably not Mrs. Beaver. She had a point about the food (since they weren't likely to find any on their trip), but everything else could've easily been left behind--after all, they were in a bit of a hurry! And regardless of whether or not she had a point, I probably would've been panicking at that point. ;)

Because this Father Christmas isn't a jolly, magical man bringing toys and the "Christmas spirit". He's here for a much more solemn--though noble--task: bringing the tools and weapons for the fight against the White Witch.

He wants to make sure that they all understand the importance of what he's giving them, and what it means for their future. And, as King_Erlian said, the girls' gifts are magical.

I agree that it probably has to do with the idea that, in a war where women are forced to fight, that means that it's an uglier war than what society is used to. In addition to that, there's also just the fact that, whether you agree with traditional gender roles or not, women are seen as the symbols of caring for and nurturing families, symbols of grace and beauty; putting them in the middle of fighting and carnage could be psychologically scarring for men who have to watch them die, or even the other soldiers who kill them. And, there are other concerns about women in wars, but I think you get the idea.

I admit that this opinion is probably influenced by my own opinions about men and women, as well as how Lewis treats his female characters in all the books. But, basically, what I think Father Christmas meant by that wasn't so much that "women have no place in wars because they're incapable of the heroism and bravery of men" (as this line seems to be interpreted by some people), but instead an idea of women being special and something worth preserving--something that can't afford to be sacrificed on the field of battle. And when they are, the battle becomes an even uglier place.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2014 5:24 am
Pattertwigs Pal
(@twigs)
Member Moderator

There have been a lot of good ideas on this. I'm not sure exactly what I think it means but I do know that I don't think it was meant to be sexist or disparaging or women.

NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2014 2:59 pm
Movie Aristotle
(@risto)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think Mrs. Beaver was being very practical about the need for food. Taking a couple of minutes now to pack food would probably save them several minutes later on when they would otherwise be faint with hunger.

I fault the BBC for ruining this scene and turning Mrs. Beaver into a ridiculous character for a generation of children. They went overboard with the conflict for the sake of "comedy" and exaggerated Mrs. Beaver's concern for packing to the point where she was completely out-of-touch with reality, i.e. the impending danger of the witch's attack. Walden did a much better job interpreting Mrs. Beaver's actions, but stretched the story again by making the wolves much nearer. The wolves are hot on their trail in the movie, while in the book the witch is still at least a quarter of an hour away. Thus, in bringing the danger so near, Mrs. Beaver again looks ridiculous for taking time to prepare food for the journey. (But at least in this version Mrs. Beaver has a card up her sleeve and surprises the audience with a secret exit that she and her husband knew about all along.)

She cares for others by making warm clothes for them. She's probably a generous person, and again, practical. Note: She doesn't really try bringing the machine, she just laments the fact that she can't bring it.

To make him less of a silly character.

Good gifts come with instructions.

Although women have probably been involved in war since the first battle, it has been traditionally regarded as the man's duty to fight, -for the sake of protecting his family.

It could be that Father Christmas is saying that as ugly as battle is, it is particularly sad and gruesome when you find members of the fair sex mutilated on the battlefield.

Movie Aristotle, AKA Risto

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 30, 2014 9:54 am
Share: