Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which Narnia Villain should have his/her own movie Poll was created on Oct 16, 2021

Poll results: Which Narnia Villain should have his/her own movie
Voter(s): 16
Poll was created on Oct 16, 2021
Jadis/The White Witch  -  votes: 9 / 56.3%
56.3%
The Dwarf  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Prince Rabadash  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
King Miraz  -  votes: 1 / 6.3%
6.3%
The Lady of the Green Kirtle  -  votes: 5 / 31.3%
31.3%
Shift the Ape  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Rishda Tarkaan  -  votes: 1 / 6.3%
6.3%
Ginger the Cat  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

Narnia Villains Movies?

Page 1 / 3
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think now even the villains are getting their own movies (Cruella, Maleficent, Joker, etc).

Don't get me wrong, Narnia has some great villains. It would seem that Netflix is creating a "Narnia universe", which would mean, even their villains might get their own movies.

Maybe we'll get to see the final battle of Charn and the Deplorable Word played out.

Maybe we'll get to see how the dwarf got to drive the White Witch's sleigh.

Maybe we'll get to see if Caspian IX and Miraz got into argument when they were boys.

Maybe we'll get to see how the Lady of the Green Kirtle got to be in Narnia.

Maybe we'll get to see Prince Rabadash being courteous and kind then reveal his true nature as cruel and arrogant.

Maybe we'll get to see how Shift got to live beyond Lantern Waste, since in the book, it says that "no one could remembered how he came to live in those parts".

Maybe we'll get to see Rishda go from a Calormene soldier to arrogant Tarkaan who wants more power.

Maybe we'll see get to see Ginger working his way to side with the Calormenes.

If you propose a Narnia villain movie, what would it be?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 16, 2021 6:58 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

I could see a movie or spin-off series about Jadis, perhaps where we finally see the 'Deplorable Word Battle' play out (I think it might work better here than as a flashback in Magician's Nephew).

There's also a lot of potential for political drama in the Telmarine storyline, so perhaps we'd get Miraz's backstory as well. It could be about growing up in Caspian IX's shadow. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 16, 2021 8:12 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

A movie about Tash, definitely. Mapping his journey from humble wood pigeon to multi armed vulture abomination! Grin  

Seriously though, the Lady of the Green Kirtle could be cool. Her backstory is left mostly in the dark, so it would be possible to expand and explore a little bit, maybe even touching on a few of the fan theories. 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 9:56 pm
Varnafinde, Courtenay, Son of Eve and 1 people liked
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

As the world's foremost expert on the Lady of the Green Kirtle Tongue I vote for that, and nominate myself to write the script. Giggle

I agree with @Glenwit that Jadis would also make an interesting one, too, with the backstory she tells us in The Magician's Nephew.

Posted by: @the-mad-poet

A movie about Tash, definitely. Mapping his journey from humble wood pigeon to multi armed vulture abomination! Grin  

I... would probably watch this. LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 10:49 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

LOL I actually haven't thought of a movie about Tash. I didn't put him on the polling list because I don't think he's in the story much and he only has one line in the book-

"Thou hast called me into Narnia, Rishda Tarkaan. Here I am. What has thou to say?"

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 18, 2021 8:52 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Posted by: @rose

I... would probably watch this. LOL

Me too!! Grin ROFL  

It's true that Tash only gets one spoken line in all the Chronicles, but when you think about it, his actual presence in the first place is quite an intriguing plot twist. I've read arguments from critics that having Tash appear as a real being spoils the Christian nature of the stories because it suggests that a false god is real and powerful. But it's obviously how Lewis decided to write the story, so there it is...

And the very fact that Tash isn't, and can't be, a "god" on the same level as Aslan means that he must have an origin somewhere, unlike the one God who always has existed. Was Tash the Narnia-universe's equivalent of a fallen angel — a being who started out as a servant of the Great Emperor but became ambitious and turned to evil, like the traditional Christian explanation for Satan (and indeed Morgoth in Tolkien's universe)? Was Tash an earthly creature who gained supernatural power and immortality through magical means — like Jadis, only even worse? We just don't know, since Lewis never devoted his life to creating the Narnian equivalent of The Silmarillion. But there's definitely scope for a story there...

(And it's worth noting, too, that Tash isn't the only god the Calormenes worship, although he's apparently the most important one. Azaroth and Zardeenah (Lady of the Night) are two other Calormene deities who get mentioned in The Horse and His Boy. That absolutely shoots down the argument that Lewis was intending the Calormenes to be a nasty parody of Muslims, seeing Islam is one of the most absolutely monotheistic religions on this planet. It would be nice if Netflix could bring that telling detail out when they do their adaptations.)

As for the poll above, my own vote was for Jadis, simply because she's the most obvious villain whose origin story could fill a whole movie — we certainly learn more of hers than we do of any other evil character in the books. But any of them could be worthwhile if there's a good enough script writer.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2021 7:28 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay She is unarguably one of Narnia's best villains if not the best.

Sometimes I wonder how Azaroth and Zardeenah got into the picture. Maybe Netflix will answer that.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2021 8:35 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @jasminetarkheena

Sometimes I wonder how Azaroth and Zardeenah got into the picture. Maybe Netflix will answer that.

Maybe! Thinking about it, I'm guessing that in creating Calormen, Lewis was trying to make an enemy nation / culture that was as much the opposite of Narnia as possible. So if Narnia has one god, Calormen has to be polytheistic. And the "Oriental" tropes that Lewis uses for Calormen are the sort that were pretty standard in a whole lot of British and European literature in his time to create a sense of the exotic "other". They're not specifically Middle Eastern — he could just as well have been inspired by India, and I think, given his brother's interest in India when they were boys, that's actually the more likely source for a lot of his imagery. (When the Lewis boys were little, they wrote stories together; Jack's were set in "Animal-Land" and Warnie's in his own fictionalised version of India, which the brothers combined to make an invented world they called Boxen.) And having Tash as a god with a vulture's head and multiple arms sounds like Lewis is combining something from the Hindu pantheon (four-armed deities) with something like the ancient Egyptian god Horus, who had a falcon's head.

Worshipping multiple gods/goddesses seems to have been pretty common in a lot of ancient societies — Judaism, with only one god, was an aberration when it arose, and Christianity and Islam grew out from that basis and ended up becoming the world's largest religions, but belief in ONLY one god wasn't at all common before then. So it would make sense to me if the Calormenes have many other gods along with the three that are named in the books. It would be nice, I think, if Netflix could elaborate a bit more on Calormene society and culture in general — hopefully making it "different" and intriguing but not too much like any specific culture in our world, so as to avoid accusations of racism.

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2021 8:52 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay Perhaps C.S Lewis was trying to portray the Crusades... the classic Christian vs Muslims. I don't know if this was before 9/11 or after (commemorating the 20th anniversary back in September this year), that Muslims started saying that God and Allah are one.. that Christians and Muslims worship the same god.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2021 10:09 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@courtenay Perhaps C.S Lewis was trying to portray the Crusades... the classic Christian vs Muslims.

He definitely wasn't. Lewis was absolutely adamant that the Narnia books are NOT allegory — they are not meant to be a symbolic portrayal of real people or events from the Bible or history in general. They're a supposal (that's the term he used) of what might happen if the same Saviour who came into our world, came into another world different from ours. He made that point over and over again, but a lot of critics (even some of the positive ones) still ignore what he said repeatedly about his own work and what he intended by it, sadly.

I don't know if this was before 9/11 or after (commemorating the 20th anniversary back in September this year), that Muslims started saying that God and Allah are one.. that Christians and Muslims worship the same god.

Ummm... the teachings of Islam have always stated, right from its beginning as a religion, that the God of Islam is the same God that Christians and Jews worship. That's got nothing to do with 9/11 or any other religiously motivated violence. Christianity and Judaism also agree on that same point — all those three religions have a common origin and are worshipping the same God, since there IS only one. We just differ, very significantly, over who was/is the ultimate representative of God on earth and what that means for our lives. I'm not suggesting for a moment that the teachings of the three faiths are all "the same" or fully compatible, let alone that I believe all three are correct, but that is the basis that they have always had in common. (Which, again, makes it even less likely that the Calormenes' religion in the Narnia books is intended to be a parody of Islam.)

Just to clarify, too, "Allah" isn't the name of the Muslims' god as opposed to the Christians' god. Allah is simply the word meaning "God" in the Arabic language. Arabic-speaking Christians use the term Allah for God too, just as, say, French-speaking Christians use the term Dieu for God.

We've gone way off the topic of this thread now, so I'll leave off and let it get back on track! Smile  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2021 4:59 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay I think even the Calormen religion is meant to represent the ancient religion of Babylon or Persia or even Assyria. I think before Islam was found, the Arabs worshiped different gods and goddesses.

I think it's even to a point that I don't think you can expect anything religious from Netflix. I have watched "Into the Wardrobe" on YouTube... fairly recently, he talked about the theories of the origins of Tash... it would have never occurred to me that he was originally from Charn... that Jadis have allowed herself to be possessed by Tash. So I wonder if Netflix could create that story line there.

And with Tash only have one line from the book, I wonder if he said the same thing to Ginger and Shift. Maybe Netflix will do something on that.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2021 5:06 pm
jewel
(@jewel)
NarniaWeb Nut

I would say the Lady of the Green Kirtle would be one of the best villains to make a movie about if you are going to make one. The reason for this is because much of her background in The Silver Chair is not explained. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2021 8:02 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jewel A movie about the Lady of the Green Kirtle would be a good one. It's not clear why she needed Prince Rilian to take over Narnia. Her origin's aren't very clear. It's not clear if she had always been in Narnia or if she had come from another world like Jadis had come from Charn.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 20, 2021 8:14 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Those are interesting ideas, especially, @the-mad-poet, the one about Tash from humble wood pigeon to vulture abomination. LOL

There are some more I could think. Since I had a thread about Prince Rishda? in the Narnia discussion, well, it should not be source material. Maybe Prince Rishda is the name of a Narnia villain spin-off movie. So a movie about Rishda, going from innocent little Calormene prince to arrogant Calormene Tarkaan captain. I don't know how many would watch it, but hey.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 13, 2022 6:03 pm
CalormenWarrior
(@calormenwarrior)
NarniaWeb Regular

Jadis was an incredible villain, it would be awesome to see more of her time in Charn and how she used the Deplorable Word! I choose her for a movie.

However, I really wish we could know more of the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Some people even say she could be a reincarnation of Jadis (and before Disney's movie, there was a BBC adaptation of Narnia in which they used the same actress to both witches). It's possible, I don't know. Anyways, a movie about her would also be cool.

"In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 14, 2022 11:44 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: