Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Which Narnia Villain should have his/her own movie Poll was created on Oct 16, 2021

Poll results: Which Narnia Villain should have his/her own movie
Voter(s): 16
Poll was created on Oct 16, 2021
Jadis/The White Witch  -  votes: 9 / 56.3%
56.3%
The Dwarf  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Prince Rabadash  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
King Miraz  -  votes: 1 / 6.3%
6.3%
The Lady of the Green Kirtle  -  votes: 5 / 31.3%
31.3%
Shift the Ape  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Rishda Tarkaan  -  votes: 1 / 6.3%
6.3%
Ginger the Cat  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

Narnia Villains Movies?

Page 3 / 3
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Seriously, even though "villains" movies seem to be fairly popular these days, I hope to goodness that the producers of the next screen adaptation of Narnia won't do any such thing — either entire spin-off movies, or spending any more time than is necessary on filling in the background of villains in the established books.

Why not? Because that would be a complete distraction — and detraction — from what the Chronicles of Narnia are meant to be about. Although they're not meant to be "Christian fiction", in the sense of being written primarily for believers or with the specific aim of converting people (and I would cringe if they were being marketed as that as well), the underlying message of them is basically and intentionally Christian. Evil may prevail for a time, and seduce or deceive those who aren't alert to it or who are won over by the lure of power and personal gain, but good is stronger, because God is good, and good (and those who align themselves with it) will always win in the end. That's a message the world sorely needs to hear and to be assured of, no matter how many people can't believe it or don't want to.

Making either "Narnia villains movies", or films based on the canonical books but focusing more heavily on the villains' backstories and personalities than the original stories do, would run completely counter to that basic message and intention of Narnia. It would turn the audience's focus from that quiet-but-pervasive Christian ethos, and the characters who stand for it, onto the evil characters and how and why they became the way they did (which in most cases would come down to film-makers' fan fiction). It would blow evil and its allies out of all proportion and implicitly make them more exciting and attractive than the One whom Lewis really wanted our attention to be drawn to.

Do any of us here honestly want that, or even seriously want to spend time and energy contemplating what film-makers might do in that direction? I for one hope not.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2023 11:07 am
icarus and Col Klink liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

That's why I've said in the other thread, even though it's a trend, not everyone may be in favor of the idea. Personally, I am kind of divided on it. If someone has a creative vision, then that's great. Though it could come to a point where it would get too distracting.

Perhaps, even if a little flashback is thrown in there, like Doctor Cornelius telling Caspian of how Miraz tried eliminate those who were loyal to Caspian IX, including the seven that were set out on the Eastern Ocean or even when Jadis tells of the Battle of Charn, it could be done in a way that it doesn't distract the viewers from the story.

That is, even though "Good vs Evil" is a relevant topic, movie adaptions should not go overboard with it!

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 11:18 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

@courtenay 

That's why I've said in the other thread, even though it's a trend, not everyone may be in favor of the idea.

Well, given that you've started two simultaneous discussions on the subject, plus numerous discussions on all aspects of the Calormenes, it does come across as if you are heavily in favour of the idea.

That's your position (if so) and naturally you have a right to it. I'm just wondering, though, how a fixation with villains and their backstories can possibly be reconciled with the fact that the author of the Chronicles of Narnia wanted these stories to draw the audience's attention to the nature and power of Christ — not the nature and power of evil-doers.

If you are in favour of making Narnia villains movies or extended villains' backstories, perhaps you could explain in more detail why this would be a good idea? Or if you're not in favour of it, is there still a need to keep harping on the subject? I'm curious, that's all.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2023 12:10 pm
icarus liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

I am not necessarily in favor of the idea, even though it's a popular thing.

The reason why I keep bringing it up is that they kept calling this franchise a "universe", yet that could be a broad category.  I'm not sure how I feel about the Narnia franchise ending up like Marvel or DC or Star Wars.

So maybe if a Narnia movie or series decides to expand on their characters, including the villains, I would probably be 50-50 on it. It might be in a way good storytelling, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. Maybe if a movie or series decides to do that, I'll wait and see how it turns out.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 12:31 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: