Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Design Narniaweb's Twitter Background!

Page 1 / 2
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

Hey everyone. :) I can't rightfully call this a "contest" because there's no judging or set time for entering. It's more like a...participation event! :)

Tirian is looking for someone to design the background for Narniaweb's Twitter page, which you can view here: http://twitter.com/NarniaWeb

Here's a pages for some direction on size:
http://www.croncast.com/blog/1320/Twitter-background-guidelines-template-size.php

Tirian would like people to be aiming for options 3-5 on this page:
http://garmahis.com/tutorials/how-to-design-twitter-background/

Helpful Information:

if you've never played with twitter before, you can either set up your background to tile (as if it were a pattern) or you can lock it as the background and the rest of the screen scrolls over it.

the way twitter looks at background images, it pretty much just places the upper left corner of the picture as the upper left corner of the browser and whatever else of the picture fits, fits. the main section of "tweets" stays centered on the page which means that the size of the background that is actually visible varies depending on the size of the browser (but both sides are equal)

twitter does have a file size limit of 800 KB and have to be in either JPG, GIF, or PNG format

hope that helps answer some questions!

Let's see what you can come up with! The prize is... getting to see your creation on NarniaWeb's twitter page: is there anything more glamorous than that? (I didn't think so!) ;))

Thanks to KtIsGerman for the idea!

Spareoom.net

Topic starter Posted : September 3, 2009 9:21 am
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)

Previously submitted ideas:

Spareoom.net

Topic starter Posted : September 3, 2009 9:22 am
Palagrin
(@palagrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

Here's mine:

I made it ages ago, but I only just registered...

EDIT: Aww, photobucket has a file size limit...

Large version herehttp://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=ryjjm23tmyy&thumb=4 to download:
just ignore the file not found image, it's still downoadable.

Thirst for Fiction- Calling all Readers!

Posted : September 4, 2009 2:26 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

when does this contest close?

Posted : September 4, 2009 10:03 am
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)

There's no set closing time, as it's not really a contest. :) People can just submit stuff and eventually Tirian will either choose one he likes or find something else. This is just a participation event for people to help Tirian out. :)

Spareoom.net

Topic starter Posted : September 4, 2009 10:12 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Gotcha! Thanks Gymfan. Here are 2 that I made. I may try my hand at more later.

(I was a little confused about the sidebar. I guess this would be the sidebar and then the background would be a solid color (probably blue, grey, or white).

Posted : September 4, 2009 11:36 am
Palagrin
(@palagrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

There might be a problem with your aslan one, Kate. The image is fixed from the top left, as far as I know, so most people won't see aslan because of their screen size.

Posted : September 4, 2009 8:57 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Seeing as how i lack both the artistic talent, and the relevant computer programs necessary to create a background, i was thinking i could perhaps throw an idea out there for someone else to take up if they fancied it.

Staying within the pre-existing NarniaWeb colour scheme of Brown and Gold i was thinking it would be quite nice to do a very simple take on the Dawn Treader "swirls" pattern that can be seen on the side of the ships hull (which conveniently is also Brown and Gold). Perhaps with a swirl or two, replicated from the ship set, running down each side of the page, and maybe even a few of the other design motifs on the Dawn Treader (the fish, the starfish, etc) included as well, to form a nice pattern.

It wouldn't need to be too elaborate, the simpler the better really. But i think it would work well as a sort of subtle reference to the Dawn Treader movie, without being too distracting from the actual page content.

Posted : September 5, 2009 7:43 am
NothinButNarnia
(@nothinbutnarnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

Nice idea icarus, i'm going to give that a try!

av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!

Posted : September 5, 2009 8:07 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Ahh, good point Palagrin.

Here's another one.

Posted : September 5, 2009 1:17 pm
Palagrin
(@palagrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

Icarus, there may be a problem with doing your idea- you wouldn't be able to do both sides swirls, because again it all depend on the screen width etc.

Posted : September 5, 2009 7:48 pm
AgnesIona
(@agnesiona)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I made this one a while ago.

As a background it should look something like this, but I am uncertain if it will work on all monitors. Does anyone know?

Kate: Your Aslan themed one looks professional. I feel like I am going to flying into on exciting adventure and I can't stop it. Your ship is nice as well. Where did you get your moon pictures?

Icarus: You suggested that we make a reference to the Dawn Treader. Do you plan to change the background for every movie?

Off Topic
anybody: Is there a good hosting site besides ImageShack?

If you teach the alphabet and you do it in such a way that those who learn it do not despise those who do not know it, you have taught it in a Christian way.          -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : September 12, 2009 8:19 am
Palagrin
(@palagrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

Off Topic
anybody: Is there a good hosting site besides ImageShack?

Photobucket, In my opinion. All though it has an image sze limit, so you can't have super huge images.

Posted : September 12, 2009 9:06 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm not very good at Photoshop, so I drew a picture and used Photoshop to the best of my ability. I hope the size is ok, the link to the twitter size's wasn't working for me.
:)
Here's one

Here's Two

I realized you can't really see the pictures so here are better versions.

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

Posted : September 12, 2009 9:48 pm
Palagrin
(@palagrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

Miraz:

Large version http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=1mjmdj2mw2o&thumb=6

Download full size(1800x1500px, 4 mb) http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=1mjmdj2mw2o&thumb=4
I reccomend downloading it, the thumbnail is so tiny.

Posted : September 13, 2009 2:53 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: