Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Art of Dawn Doughty Davidson

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here are some artwork of Narnia by Dawn Doughty Davidson that I'm sure you may have seen

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 6:21 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I haven't heard of her before. Is she a fan?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 6:36 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I believe she is. I don't think she would be doing the artwork if she wasn't.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 6:57 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I almost hate to say it, because I feel mean for being so critical, but those are just ghastly.

The use of colour is so thick and over-saturated, almost like spray-paint, plus the quasi-realistic art style gives it all a very "uncanny valley" feel.

Mr Tumnus looks incredibly creepy and sinister in that pose, and the Beavers look like the stuff of nightmares.

The decision to give Mr Beaver rounded glasses coupled with his big bucked teeth just reminds me of Mickey Rooney's horribly racist Asian characature in "Breakfast at Tiffany's", which is definitely not a good look.

All in all, a hard pass from me unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 7:28 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Perhaps the artwork of Mr. Tumnus is supposed to represent that he's actually working for the White Witch (which he reveals later in the book). Then of course, he realizes he could still do the right thing: let Lucy go home. 

That may have been Mrs. Beaver wearing glasses. I'll admit I was a bit thrown off by it. Then I actually recalled that Mrs. Beaver wears glasses in the animated LWW.

At least she got Lucy's hair color right (blond as described in the books). That almost never happens. As I've said in another thread, I don't have as much as a problem with it in live action movies or series (in the case of Sophie Wilcox who is dark-brown hair in the BBC and Georgie Henley who is auburn in the Walden). But Dawn Doughty Davidson depicting Lucy as a blond still counts for something.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 17, 2023 8:27 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@jasmine_tarkheena I think it's Mr Beaver, since the artist has drawn him smoking a pipe. 

They don't appeal to me. They're very digital looking.

I'm guessing that these are one if those artist's sample sets of pictures, to show what they can do.  It doesn't look like the work of a fan who knows the characters as stories well.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 8:51 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I agree, these are just awful, artistically and aesthetically, never mind as representations of one of the most loved children's books in the English language!! D\'oh  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2023 9:16 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hear me out: it's not that I don't care about the Narnia books. I actually do as much as anyone here. I wouldn't join Narniaweb if I didn't.

Some of the artwork kind of turned me off. I wouldn't say they're terrible or awful, but I wouldn't say they're awesome or ground-breaking either.

@icarus, you shouldn't feel mean for being critical. I'm actually not offended or hurt by anyone's criticism on here or even taking it personal. No artwork is perfect neither are artists.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 18, 2023 5:51 pm
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)

Well said, Jasmine.  None of us did mean it personally to you.

Some of us are so devoted to Pauline Baynes work that we are horrified to see anything else (covers may be all right, but not always), and others have a better artistic appreciation than me. I think my concerns now are that people who can't do their own artwork are starting to use AI and bad digital pictures.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2023 8:51 pm
Courtenay liked
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

@jasmine_tarkheena wow cool

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2023 4:16 pm
Share: