Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What if Queen Swanwhite, Moonwood the Hare, and King Gale each got their movies?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

As you may know, in The Last Battle, Jewel shares the stories of Queen Swanwhite who was known for her great beauty, Moonwood the Hare who could hear whispers of Cair Paravel from the Great Waterfall, and King Gale who rescued the Lone Islands from a dragon. However, we don't even get a whole book but any of them.

Though each would probably make good movies, "The Stories that CS Lewis didn't write." Perhaps the way to do each of these is where start with that scene from The Last Battle, and as Jewel is telling them, show it all in a flashback.

Swanwhite was known to be the Queen during the days before the White Witch and the Great Winter. So it may have been possible she was the last queen. She was known for great beauty that when she looked into any forest pool, the reflection of her face shone out of the water like a star by night for a year and a day afterwards. So how do you that in a movie? Could it be that she was a gracious and kind that made her beautiful? It's possible.

Moonwood the hare was known to have been able to hear whispers of Cair Paravel, even from the Great Waterfall. It would certainly make one wonder, "How is that possible? How did he sleep, even?" There are things that CS Lewis never explained, and how Moonwood being able to hear whispers even from the Great Waterfall is one of them.

King Gale rescued the Lone Islands from a dragon and in gratitude, the Lone Islands became a part of Narnia. That's how the title of "Emperor/Empress of the Lone Islands" came to be. I think for a movie, it could actually show the Lone Islands being attacked without showing the dragon. That's actually one of the things I've liked what they did with the Hobbit movie, is that they showed Smaug attacking Dale without actually showing him. It's almost a common story for a brave man to rescue a nation from a dragon. I think rescuing a whole nation from a dragon is more idea than rescuing a fair maiden from a dragon. It's almost too cliche to have a dragon capture a fair maiden and a brave knight has to come and rescue her.

Any thoughts on Queen Swanwhite, Moonwood the Hare, and King Gale each having their own movies?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 7, 2023 1:41 pm
KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

@jasmine_tarkheena, Nice topic! 

I think if the original movies got around to getting made, and it got popular enough, there could definitely be movies about these Narnian rulers. It would  be awesome to see how they would get everything done, especially portraying these secret backstories that are never really explored in the books. If they were made into movies, they would definitely have lots of freedom with the story, and could find creative ways to incorporate fore-shadowing to the future from the other books. 

I think I would want to see the backstory of Queen Swanwhite the most, because her story could take place right before the White Witch arrives. I think if a movie were to be made about her, it would be cool to have scenes of the White Witch in and out in between the movie, like setting up her reign for LWW. I think that maybe the White Witch could be a minor threat in the movie, but almost like a shadow, not quite ready take over just yet. 

I want to see King Gale rescuing the Lone Islands from a dragon. Once again, there could be lots of foreshadowing done here, like to Eustace turning into a dragon in VDT. Maybe the dragon that King Gale rescued the lone islands from actually became a dragon the same way Eustace did, but it didn't want Aslan's help. Maybe they could include a side plot of how the lone Islands were before King Gale discovered it. Did anyone live there? Was it only inhabited by wild beasts? Did Aslan send him? 

Honestly, there are so many possibilities that could be explored with these movies, because there's just so much you can make up. Lewis often leaves lots of room for imagination and that's one of my favorite parts of the books. 

-KingEdTheJust

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2023 1:56 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Isn't there another topic like this in General Movie Discussion Already? (Narnia Stories Left Untold.) It doesn't mention Gale, Moonwood or Swanwhite in the title, but there's no reason the OP couldn't be a post in that. I just checked and it's still open.

This post was modified 1 year ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2023 2:26 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @kingedthejust

I think I would want to see the backstory of Queen Swanwhite the most, because her story could take place right before the White Witch arrives. I think if a movie were to be made about her, it would be cool to have scenes of the White Witch in and out in between the movie, like setting up her reign for LWW. I think that maybe the White Witch could be a minor threat in the movie, but almost like a shadow, not quite ready take over just yet. 

Interesting thought. I think actually showing Swanwhite looking into the forest pools is idea. Though I haven't thought of setting up the White Witch's reign. I guess there could possible if Swanwhite sees a stone statue. Perhaps that could give a hint of something.

Posted by: @kingedthejust

I want to see King Gale rescuing the Lone Islands from a dragon. Once again, there could be lots of foreshadowing done here, like to Eustace turning into a dragon in VDT. Maybe the dragon that King Gale rescued the lone islands from actually became a dragon the same way Eustace did, but it didn't want Aslan's help. Maybe they could include a side plot of how the lone Islands were before King Gale discovered it. Did anyone live there? Was it only inhabited by wild beasts? Did Aslan send him? 

I actually haven't thought about that one. I've always thought that there were humans that lived in the Lone Islands even before it became a part of Narnia. We actually don't even know how a dragon originally came to be in Narnia. Since dragons aren't mentioned at the Creation of Narnia, it might be safe say when Aslan turned Calormenes in Telmar into dumb beasts, among them was a dragon. 

Anyhow, it may have been possible that Aslan send King Gale to the Lone Islands or he could have heard of the dragon terrorizing the Lone Islands at one point. We just don't know.

Posted by: @col-klink

Isn't there another topic like this in General Movie Discussion Already? (Narnia Stories Left Untold.) It doesn't mention Gale, Moonwood or Swanwhite in the title, but there's no reason the OP couldn't be a post in that. I just checked and it's still open.

There is, but it's more on how to fill the gap between each chapter, like Rilian's quest to find the serpent and kill it then his eyes change when he sees the beautiful woman in green or what happened during the three weeks between the first and second chapter of The Last Battle.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 7, 2023 2:41 pm
Share: