Lady of the Green Kirtle and Prince Rilian  -  votes: 1 / 50%
50%
Rishda Tarkaan and Jill  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

Villanious Crush In Narnia Movie(s)?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

When seeing a boy and a girl together on screen, it's often the assumption they're going to be a couple. Oh, then the villain might try to find a way to be with the main hero/heroine. I feel kind of dumb for bringing this up D\'oh , but I do tend to make a joke (trying to be sensitive here).

It would seem that Netflix would extend on Prince Rabadash and Susan's interaction. That villainous crush actually does make sense.

I suppose there is kind of a villainous crush in The Silver Chair, because the Lady of the Green Kirtle had plan to marry Prince Rilian so she could have access to the throne of Narnia.

So what if there was a villainous crush in every Narnia movie? Okay, maybe not in every Narnia movie, because it might be bit of a stretch.

What if Jadis was crushing on Uncle Andrew in The Magician's Nephew? (he kind of has a crush on her because after drinking, he thinks about how she will fall in love with him). It sounds pretty pointless, though.

Even in The Last Battle, what if Rishda has a crush on Jill? I mean like, Rishda wants to be with Jill, but when he realizes he can't, she has to go through the stable. (I don't have intentions to make this into a April Fool's joke because I fear they'll end up making it happen. I don't want to be held accountable. It wasnt me ).

What are your thoughts? How would you feel about any villainous crush in any Narnia movie(s)?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 6, 2021 8:52 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

This is a really interesting thread, and one that I haven't thought about before @Jasminetarkheena (and welcome to the forum by the way! Grin )

So I wouldn't be a fan of a crush appearing in every single movie because one of the strengths of Narnia is that every book is so different and that would get old and monotonous. (And I'm sick to death of romantic relationships being forced into every single Hollywood production) But to your point, there does seem to be some kind of relationship between and a baddie and a good guy in the majority of the books. Even in LWW, while I wouldn't describe it as a crush, Edmund is definitely attracted to the White Witch because of his desire for power. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2021 10:32 am
Jasmine liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @jasminetarkheena

I suppose there is kind of a villainous crush in The Silver Chair, because the Lady of the Green Kirtle had plan to marry Prince Rilian so she could have access to the throne of Narnia.

That doesn't really fit into my conception of her character. While it's true that her motivations are somewhat opaque, I always got the impression that all she cared about was being queen. She wouldn't want to marry Rilian unless it involved that. Plus despite their engagement, I always felt he saw her as more of a surrogate mother.

What if Jadis was crushing on Uncle Andrew in The Magician's Nephew?

No! That'd be a totally pointless switch from the book. 

Even in The Last Battle, what if Rishda has a crush on Jill? I mean, like Rishda wants to be with Jill, but when he realizes he can't, she has to go through the stable.

I don't know. That'd just take so long to establish and would involve needlessly aging Jill up or aging Rishda down. I'm not saying I'd hate it. I just don't see any point to it. Rishda already has a motive for throwing Jill into the stable and there's already a moment where the heroes refuse to surrender to the villains. The Last Battle already has a relatively complicated plot. Why make it more complicated?

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 7, 2021 10:41 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@fantasia Thank you for having me. I understand that movie makers have a way to make money by doing some romantic relationships. They tend to go in that direction for a big commercial movie or series.

My impression was that the White Witch had promised Edmund to adopt him as her son so that he could be ruler of Narnia. I think the whole thing was that he was jealous of Peter's leadership, being the younger brother. So, I agree with you on that; I wouldn't call it a crush.

And yes, I am kind of getting tired of romantic relationships in every Hollywood production, even if it is a villain having an attraction to the main hero/heroine. I think it’s about time for a guy and girl be close friends. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 7, 2021 2:54 pm
Col Klink liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Posted by: @col-klink

That doesn't really fit into my conception of her character. While it's true that her motivations are somewhat opaque, I always got the impression that all she cared about was being queen. She wouldn't want to marry Rilian unless it involved that. Plus despite their engagement, I always felt he saw her as more of a surrogate mother.

I actually haven't thought of the Lady of the Green Kirtle as a surrogate mother to Prince Rilian. Though I am aware that she wanted to be Queen of Narnia. I think in the book, Rilian did mentioned "once she has given me her hand in marriage", it would have been my impression she enchanted him to ask her to marry him. I think it's more like an afterthought, though, how she would have access to the throne of Narnia. It's not clear why she needed Prince Rilian for that. I wonder if it is because she knew that he was heir to the throne of Narnia, so that would have made it easier for her to get access to the throne of Narnia. Rilian would still have been king, but more like a puppet.

That'd just take so long to establish and would involve needlessly aging Jill up or aging Rishda down. I'm not saying I'd hate it. I just don't see any point to it.

I don't know if there is a need to age Jill up or age Rishda down. I’ve actually seen in movies where a villain who is twice the heroine’s age crushing on her. According to the timeline, Jill is like sixteen and I always had the impression that Rishda is in his thirties or forties. The only reason I could think of for needing to age Rishda down is that if they decide to make him a prince instead of the Calormene captain. But I don't think that will happen. I do get what you're saying, @col-klink. I don't know if I would hate it either. But I think that could be one of the traps that movie makers tend to fall into.

Rishda already has a motive for throwing Jill into the stable and there's already a moment where the heroes refuse to surrender to the villains. 

That’s true. It was mainly about Rishda making up for his unbelief in Tash or any of the supernatural. It could be a concern that they will want to give him a reason to, though. The two other villains are an ape and a cat, so yeah, it would seem logical that it's the Calormene captain that's going to like her. Often times, romance or crushes of any, including with villains, are done for marketing purposes. It would seem that where a filmmaker's brain goes immediately. That is unless someone was to say, "Hey, let's not do the obvious thing. It will be better if we do it this way."

The Last Battle already has a relatively complicated plot. Why make it more complicated?

I think that would be something to be fearful of. They might even play it out worse than I would have predicted (I am not predicting this, of course). While I am pretty confident they won’t make it happen, I think it is still something to be worried about. So it's kind of on my "no" list and "fearful" list all at once.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 7, 2021 3:58 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

So a villainous crush or attraction is a trend in the media these days. I feel kind of dumb to talk about it though.

The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe- While Edmund is attracted to the White Witch, I wouldn't necessarily call it a crush. I think that this whole thing was mainly about how Edmund is jealous of Peter's leadership. The White Witch did kind of promised him that he would a prince and later a king of Narnia, so that he could be above Peter.

Prince Caspian- No villainous crush or attraction because obviously Miraz is a married man. Plus, Glozelle and Sospesian weren't even all that loyal to Miraz.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader- No villainous crush or attraction because there is no real clear cut villain in this. So what is going to be the point of having a villainous attraction if you don't even have a villain?

The Silver Chair- I guess there kind of is in this. I think the Lady of the Green Kirtle did at some point enchanted Prince Rilian to ask her to marry him. He even says in the book-

"She has promised me a great kingdom in Overland, and, when I am king, her own most gracious hand in marriage"

Her ultimate goal is to become Queen of Narnia. I wonder if she somehow knew that Rilian was heir to the throne of Narnia, so she may have thought that by marrying him, she would legally become Queen of Narnia. Jill even mentions in the book-

“Where I come from,” said Jill, who was disliking him more every minute, “they don’t think much of men who are bossed about by their wives.”

So it would seem there is kind of a villainous attraction there. I think it's more of an afterthought, though. I wonder how Netflix would play this out.

The Horse and His Boy- Prince Rabadash wanting to marry Susan is such a major conflict in the plot. It's not explicitly written, being a children's book. I think Netflix could play it out really well. Rabadash wants to marry Susan, the book even says that he can't sleep. But you know that's not the same as real love. I think Netflix can show Rabadash visiting Cair Paravel where he acts like a nice person. Then we see his true nature reveal. 

The Magician's Nephew- While having Jadis having a crush on Uncle Andrew would be pointless, there is a moment in the book where she tells Digory and Polly-

"And by his art he has seen the shadow of my face, in some magic mirror or some enchanted pool; and for the love of my beauty he has made a potent spell which shook your world to its foundations and sent you across the vast gulf between world and world to ask my favour and to bring me to him. Answer me: is that not how it was?"

This was before she even met Uncle Andrew, though. After they meant, Uncle Andrew starts to fantasize about how Jadis will fall in love him. It's because that his head is not clear, though. It would be easy for Netflix to have Jadis and Andrew like each other. However, I think it would be pointless if they did that. I am not suggesting it; it would be pointless.

The Last Battle- I just get this out of my system, though I feel dumb to bring it up. It would be easy for Netflix to have Rishda having a crush on Jill. It's like, yeah, he wants to be with her, but she doesn't want to be with him. And of course she wouldn't. Then she would have to go through the stable because he won't take "no" for an answer. I cringe at the thought, though. I would never suggest this; it would be a terrible idea.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2022 7:06 pm
Share: