Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Updating Expressions in the Dialogue: Yeah or Nay?

Page 2 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @col-klink

@jasmine_tarkheena I'm not a moderator or anything, but I feel like you're getting really off topic. Maybe you're just used to online chats that are less, shall we say, structured than those on the Narniaweb forum.

I'm not a moderator either (I don't think either of us will be).

But how about the thought of Calormenes speaking in poetic form? It would almost sound too cheesy if they were spoken in plain English, though.

Application to business
is the root of prosperity
but those who ask questions
that do not concern them
are steering the ship of folly
towards the rock of indigence.

Natural affection is stronger than soup
and offspring more precious than carbuncles.

He who attempts to deceive the judicious
is already baring his back for the scourge.

Swords can be kept off with shields
but the Eye of Wisdom pierces through every defence.

Deep draughts from the fountain of reason are desirable
in order to extinguish the fire of youthful love.

So is there a need to update the Calormene poetry in a screen adaption? I don't think so.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 10:54 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Our pastor actually said that God already knows what you're going to say when you pray.

That is pretty much what Jesus says in Matt. 6:8 (in the Sermon on the Mount): "your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Talk about the power of prayer expressions in the screen adaptions.

This definitely is getting off the topic of this thread (whether or not the dialogue in the books should be updated in a screen adaptation). Maybe start a new topic on how prayer — and perhaps other religious elements in the Chronicles — could best be portrayed on screen?

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 1:56 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

Noted.

I wonder if a screen adaption would remove the dwarfs calling the Calormenes "darkies" like the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre did. Some readers might find it offensive, like there are probably some parents who wouldn't want their children to repeat those words, let alone hear it.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 2:06 pm
Cleander liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

I wonder if a screen adaption would remove the dwarfs calling the Calormenes "darkies" like the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre did. Some readers might find it offensive, like there are probably some parents who wouldn't want their children to repeat those words, let alone hear it.

Very likely, as it is a racial slur in our world as well. In the context of the scene, the only people using that term are a group of Dwarfs whose behaviour and attitudes are clearly NOT something we're supposed to approve of, let alone emulate. But most film-makers won't want to take the risk of being called racist and will almost certainly cut out that expression entirely. That doesn't worry me, as it isn't essential to the plot and I wouldn't blame any screenwriter for avoiding using words that one wouldn't want young viewers to pick up and repeat.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 2:25 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jasmine_tarkheena The Calormene proverbs were intended (by C. S. Lewis) to be pretentious and clunky, so to change them to be more understandable to viewers would be to kind of miss the point. Giggle I'm more worried about adapters wanting to cut them to tighten the pacing. Normally, I'd say tightening the pacing is good when adapting something for film or television, but I'm fond of the use of language in The Horse and his Boy

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2023 2:33 pm
Cleander liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

Very likely, as it is a racial slur in our world as well. In the context of the scene, the only people using that term are a group of Dwarfs whose behaviour and attitudes are clearly NOT something we're supposed to approve of, let alone emulate. But most film-makers won't want to take the risk of being called racist and will almost certainly cut out that expression entirely. That doesn't worry me, as it isn't essential to the plot and I wouldn't blame any screenwriter for avoiding using words that one wouldn't want young viewers to pick up and repeat.

I can see that. It would raise the issue of racism. I've mentioned that the depiction of the Calormenes is my main concern, and I still stand by it.

Posted by: @col-klink

The Calormene proverbs were intended (by C. S. Lewis) to be pretentious and clunky, so to change them to be more understandable to viewers would be to kind of miss the point. Giggle I'm more worried about adapters wanting to cut them to tighten the pacing. Normally, I'd say tightening the pacing is good when adapting something for film or television, but I'm fond of the use of language in The Horse and his Boy.

I think the pacing of a film adaption would also be based on how much time would they have. I understand they can't fit it all on screen, especially the expressions of "By Jove!" or "Great Scott!" or even Trumpkin's catch phrases "Horns and halibuts" or "Soups and celerys" or "Crows and crockeries" or Puddleglum's "I'll be bound" or "I shouldn't wonder."

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 2:47 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wouldn't object to the removal of certain less understandable British slang, such "bally idiots," "brick (describing a person)", or "dem," but I think the majority of the phrases Lewis uses, like "Great Scott!" "By Jove!" and "Bother!" help retain the original flavor and would still be decipherable, at the very least from context, to modern global audiences. 

And sorry Jasmine, but I couldn't promise not to throw a restrained temper tantrum if they didn't let Trumpkin say "Crows and crockeries!" at least once! Grin  

They could possibly save the Calormen adages from being seen as racist by only giving them to a certain character,  possibly for comic effect at that character's expense (Ahoshta comes to mind). 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Cleander

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2023 4:36 pm
Courtenay liked
Page 2 / 2
Share: