Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Music of Narnia: Past, Present and Future

Page 2 / 22
Steerforth
(@steerforth)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'm very much looking forward to a new composer. :) I loved HGW's work in LWW, but was less than thrilled with what he did with PC;

I agree, GymFan. Time to move on to something different.

I wonder if Gregson-Williams just didn't like Wardrobe more. Or, at least, I wonder if he wasn't more inspired by it. The Wardrobe score is magical, alive, and very moving. I can listen to the CD and relive every moment of the film in my mind, with every accompanying emotion I experienced when watching it. Conversely, the Caspian score, like the film, is technically competent, but devoid of anything truly moving or inspiring. And, as you said, it's far too repetitive. I really believe that he was "tuned into" the beautiful elements of Wardrobe, and his music reflected that. It makes sense, then (to me, at least), that he'd be as "tuned out" by Caspian, because those same qualities just weren't in the film. I just got the sense that he couldn't latch onto anything really moving in Caspian, so he tried to Wardrobe-ize it, for lack of a better term. And, it just didn't work.

"This is no thaw. This is Spring! Your winter has been destroyed. This... is Aslan's doing!"

SuntoryTimes

Posted : September 12, 2009 3:06 am
A_Narnian_Ship
(@a_narnian_ship)
NarniaWeb Nut

I'm not sure I understand how you guys can't feel how moving the PC score was, Steerforth. I can't help but get mad and feel upset at the end of "Castle Raid". I think while PC didn't have the same quality as LWW, Gregson-Williams still did an excellent job with things like Reepicheeps theme(which I love!!!!) I look forward to David Arnolds soundtrack though. I can't wait till Dec 10th!!!! Who do you think should compose the future soundtracks? I'm seriously thinking Michael W. Smith shoud do SC. Cmon, Freedom was amazing!!!! He would be so good!!!! :D

I saw the movie....and was disappointed

Posted : September 12, 2009 7:39 am
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'd love it if James Newton Howard were to score SC or LB. I think his style would work well with the moodier, darker Narnia movies. Danny Elfman wouldn't be bad either. I was pretty impressed with Nicholas Hooper's work on the last two Harry Potter movies, so I wouldn't be adverse to him scoring a future Narnia movie.

Posted : September 12, 2009 6:57 pm
Narnian1993
(@narnian1993)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'm not really sure if I want the music to be completely different. Parts of iti would like to stay the same, like the part when they enter Narnia and if there are any battle scenes. :D But I don't want it completely different.

This might be alittle off topic but does anyone know where I can find the PC songbook??

~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis

Posted : September 15, 2009 7:20 am
Lucy P.
(@lucy-p)
NarniaWeb Nut

I'm not sure, Narnian1993.

I would really, really, love for The Ten Tenors to do some credit music or some vocals for VDT. They're my favorite group and they have gorgeous soundtrack-y voices.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Posted : September 17, 2009 10:38 am
MissAravis
(@missaravis)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Narnian1993: Sometimes you can find them at local Christian book stores. Otherwise, they're both on amazon.

Posted : October 2, 2009 5:31 pm
coldautumn
(@coldautumn)
NarniaWeb Newbie

hi!

I actually loved the music score in the movies. It was appropriate and quite moving. But I would welcome any changes that they might make...
Dental Lake Worth | Dentist Lake Worth

Posted : October 4, 2009 8:23 pm
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

I can't help but get mad and feel upset at the end of "Castle Raid". I think while PC didn't have the same quality as LWW, Gregson-Williams still did an excellent job with things like Reepicheep's theme (which I love!!!!) Who do you think should compose the future soundtracks? I'm seriously thinking Michael W. Smith shoud do SC. Cmon, Freedom was amazing!!!! He would be so good!!!! :D

Michael W. Smith, hmm? While I like his Christian music, I didn't know he composes. I'll have to check it out.

I agree about the Castle Raid. It is my favorite piece in PC. And when I listen to Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance, I can picture exactly what is happening in the movie at that point.
I really hope they use Reepicheep's theme in VDT, at least once.
I also think that at the end of the movie, as in LWW and PC, there should be a couple songs with a more modern feel. I must say that I feel PC surpassed LWW in this aspect. This is Home and The Call were really perfect.

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Posted : October 8, 2009 12:13 pm
Narnia #1 Fan
(@narnia-1-fan)
NarniaWeb Regular

I have very much enjoyed listening to Harry Gregson-Williams' compositions of LWW and PC. Although I am sad that Harry is not composing this film, I hope that the new composer of VDT keeps the themes going, but adds new stuff too. Having a new team could be good for the movie and also bad. I hope it works out to be good.

New book in the fantasy genre. Check out my website at
https://sites.google.com/site/horsetonfans

Narniaweb is one of my favorite sites!
Phil. 4:13, John 3:16, Romans 8:28

Posted : October 12, 2009 4:16 am
narnian_at_heart
(@narnian_at_heart)
NarniaWeb Guru

I loved The Call by Regina Spektor that they played at the end of Prince Caspian. I wanted to get it on iTunes but you can only get it if you buy the whole soundtrack which I don't want to do.

Posted : October 12, 2009 5:08 am
Faolchú
(@faolchu)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hmm, I am just excited to see what they come up with. However, I have to agree with Bookwyrm, Danny Elfman would be an interesting choice. I love his work. Anyway, I am sure that whatever happens, the music will be wonderful. :D

We are the light.

Posted : October 12, 2009 1:37 pm
RileyTea
(@rileytea)
NarniaWeb Regular

Personally, I LOVED the job that Harry Gregson-Williams did with the scores of both LWW and PC. I didn't feel that he recycled too much for PC, but was rather like how Bother Eustace said, that the Pevensies would find both changes and similarities in Narnia; it's fitting that that be reflected in the music. I was very moved by both scores, though I do prefer the 'credits' songs of PC. 'The Call' and 'This is Home' were absolutely perfect! :)

Until I read this thread, I hadn't even realized that HGW wasn't even the composer for Dawn Treader! But, knowing that David Arnold did the score for 'Amazing Grace', of which Michael Apted was also the director, I think he'll do a great job. I DO hope that he keeps a bit of the same thread of the Narnia theme (and Reep's theme!) because it's still Narnia; it wouldn't feel right to have the old theme completely gone; but do agree that it needs some new material. In a way, it's a new 'chapter' for the stories... Peter & Su won't be coming back, and there's a new boy joining the gang (and possibly some other unexpected new recruits, judging by the rumors.) I do hope that they have as good of 'credits' songs as PC had!

Sig by marshwigglebee

Posted : October 15, 2009 5:39 am
Clive Staples Sibelius
(@clive-staples-sibelius)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hey everyone,

This discussion about the music of Narnia inspired me to join the board. I've been a Narnia fan for a long long time, though up until recently I would have said I preferred Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Recently I bought many of the HarperAudio readings of Narnia (with Derek Jacobi and Patrick Stewart, to name the more familiar ones). Listening to those and also the publication of 'Planet Narnia,' I came to realize how much richer Narnia is than I remembered.

Ok, now for the forum topic: I think the main theme Harry Gregson-Williams composed was excellent, as was Tumnus' music in LWW. The weak thing about his scores comes in the battle scenes, in which he uses the far-too-conventional choral element (the history of which goes back to the use of 'Carmina Burana' in Excalibur, but reignited in popularity with JW's "Duel of the Fates"). So, while I certainly did like the main Narnia theme and a few other bits here and there, I'm not particularly sad he's been replaced. Secondly, the reason he might have been replaced is probably political: Michael Apted and David Arnold both worked on James Bond films together.

I'm curious to see what David Arnold does. I think he's less prone to conventions, though he may not have the ability displayed in the melodic inspiration of the main Narnia theme.

Personally, I really love the old BBC theme. I didn't think it could be equalled by anything the new composer would come up with, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Ok, now let's go back a bit further, to CS Lewis himself. What music did he listen to? As a Classical Music lover I've been keen to research this very subject. His three favorite composers were Beethoven (you will know the 'Ode to Joy' theme from his Ninth symphony), Wagner (you'll know "Ride of the Valkyries"), and Sibelius (you may know "Finlandia").

With this in mind, when I re-read (and listened to) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, it was with Jean Sibelius' Symphony No.7 in mind.

If anyone is curious to listen to this music, I very much recommend you do so. It's the music 'behind' the man who created Narnia, after all.

I apologize for the lengthy post, it's just that I had a lot on the tip of my tongue!

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis

Posted : October 17, 2009 5:38 am
MissAravis
(@missaravis)
NarniaWeb Junkie

This is sort of random, but I really like some of the more modern/electronic elements in HGW's scores - I think they add to the whole magical feel. I know most people hate this though ;))

Secondly, the reason he might have been replaced is probably political: Michael Apted and David Arnold both worked on James Bond films together.

They also worked on Amazing Grace together. There could be something to that.

Posted : October 22, 2009 10:57 am
jesusiskingofkings
(@jesusiskingofkings)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think that the underlying theme does need to remain the same. It’s important for the film as a whole. The only other two constants you have is the land of Narnia itself and Aslan. The music adds that third element to the whole Narnia experience that
I think cannot do with out. The rest of the music is built around that theme. As was the case in other films like HP, POTC and TLOTR. The same themes in all of those movies stayed the same, as other themes were being made. Narnia needs to be that way. You have to have a theme for Narnia, Aslan, the Pevensies, and Caspian. And then you need to make new themes for the Treader, Eustace, and the different islands and adventures they encounter in the film.

I really enjoyed the music for LWW and PC and still do to this day. I expect the music for the Voyage to be as good if not better.

God Bless, to Narnia and the North!!!!!!!

Heaven and earh will Pass away but My words shall never pass away. Jesus, Matthew 24:35.

"When I was a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things including the thought of being gwon-up." C.S. Lewis

Posted : October 23, 2009 6:27 am
Page 2 / 22
Share: