Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] The Ratings of the Future Movies

Page 1 / 5
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

The ratings of the upcoming (we hope) Narnia movies have always been a popular topic of discussion here at NarniaWeb. A common topic whenever the ratings are discussed is whether they should at any point exceed a PG rating. Walden Media and the Lewis Estate have a contractual agreement to only make films rated no higher than a PG, but many fans believe The Last Battle is not filmable as a PG. So what do you think? Is a PG-rated film franchise plausible? Should it go higher than that, on into PG-13 territory? Feel free to post your thoughts, nicely of course.

Below is a link to the official MPAA definitions of the ratings used in the US

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp

Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2009 7:19 pm
2nd to One
(@2nd-to-one)
NarniaWeb Regular

I would be happy with a continued PG franchise, but I can see how The Last Battle might present problems to that...Prince Caspian was darker than LWW, but LB is a whole lot darker than any of the other books, so...I don't know, I'd be fine with it being rated PG-13, given the material...(like RotS. :) ) But I'd still like the rest to be PG, I think, just to keep them suitable for families...at least the vast majority.(I understand that some families don't approve.)

Happy New Year!

Av & sig by me.
NWsibs: whitefox, N_B_H
RL sibs: H_L and SW_F

Posted : September 4, 2009 2:04 am
NarniaWally
(@narniawally)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I would be happy with a continued PG franchise, but I can see how The Last Battle might present problems to that...Prince Caspian was darker than LWW, but LB is a whole lot darker than any of the other books, so...I don't know, I'd be fine with it being rated PG-13, given the material...(like RotS. :) ) But I'd still like the rest to be PG, I think, just to keep them suitable for families...at least the vast majority.(I understand that some families don't approve.)

I agree with 2nd to One...the battle scenes in both movies were not that played up in the books. The Last Battle has more of a graphic description to actual physical contact then the first two. Maybe Andrew decided to do it that way to appeal more to the older teens and adults. :) PG suits me just fine...as I mentioned before..C.S.Lewis, I believe, had a plan to bring children into his stories with their imaginations...more than adults. He sure "knew what he was doing" and had a heart and a plan for his books to touch children's hearts.. :)

Remember/// He longs to be with us more than we long to be with Him !!!..Wally

Posted : September 4, 2009 4:53 am
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

Walden Media and the Lewis Estate have a contractual agreement to only make films rated no higher than a PG, but many fans believe The Last Battle is not filmable as a PG.

Can you give me a source on that? (The Walden/CSL thing, not the fans opinion. ;) ;)) ).

Spareoom.net

Posted : September 4, 2009 4:55 am
Gertrude
(@gertrude)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I personally wouldn't be bothered by PG-13 for LB. But for the others, PG should be kept. The books, to me, just had a very innocent tone even when dealing with darker subjects of life, and I think the movies should carry on with that in mind.

All hail Gertrude, the Narnian Centaur!

Posted : September 4, 2009 9:19 am
Ugly Pig
(@ugly-pig)
NarniaWeb Regular

I dunno, I used to think TLB should be PG-13 but now having seen how much violence and grittiness they got away with in PC I don't really think it's necessary to go beyond that anymore.

Posted : September 4, 2009 10:16 am
Farsight1
(@farsight1)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think they'll all get away with PG, except for maybe the Last Battle (PG-13).

Posted : September 4, 2009 4:32 pm
adamie
(@adamie)
NarniaWeb Nut

It would be a little bit sad if some kids would not be able to see the last movie, don't you think. So I think they could make it work with a PG rating. Of course some things could be really scary, but they don't necessarily have to be (like Tash, it all depends on the design). And it has a happy ending after all.

click the image.

Posted : September 5, 2009 10:02 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

With The Last Battle, younger kids will just have to wait until they're older. They need to learn patience. Others of us have had to wait many times for things. Patience is an important lesson in life.
The Last Battle can't be done with a PG. Once you remove/censor anything, you lose the power of the book. Also, Tash needs to look very scary. Why must everyone treat the PG-13 rating as if it's evil? It's not.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : September 6, 2009 1:11 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Last battle should at least be M since PC was.

Posted : September 6, 2009 1:23 am
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

After what I saw in PC I am certain they can do the others in PG as well,
no higher rating is really needed EXCEPT for The Last Battle.

TLB:
toning it down for the kids would be a mistake like or greater than making PC more adult-ish. Tash needs to be scary, not necessarily really scary. The battles are more descriptive, as has been said. This one atleast NEEDS to be PG-13, with that of course I don't been it needs to be leaning to adult-ish completely where it'd lean on the greater half towards R, that'd be equally disastrous. It needs to be soft, but also harder than PG- therefore a "soft" PG-13.

Posted : September 6, 2009 9:58 am
Tirian12
(@tirian12)
NarniaWeb Nut

are you serious that they are going to only let them PG? that is rediculous!!! LB is in no way filmable as a PG, if they are trying to do that then it's just stupid! where did you hear that? X( (not mad at you Bookwyrm)

avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1

Posted : September 7, 2009 12:35 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

I will be expecting last battle given a M rating here in australia since pc was M. If they had PG rating the LB movie wouldn't be any good.

Posted : September 7, 2009 1:08 pm
JadistarkilleR
(@jadistarkiller)
NarniaWeb Regular

PG13 for the US standard, and whatever equivalent that is for other countries.

why? well if youre gonna go with older actors/ more matured themes there is no way you can keep it under PG. one way or the other it will breach into PG13 territory. that contractual agreement has to be reviewed. its understandable when the Narnia film franchise was first conceived as something decidedly more kid friendly but the current scenario isnt the case anymore.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.

Posted : September 7, 2009 11:25 pm
Narnian1993
(@narnian1993)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think that if they could try to keep the ratings at PG it would go well for them. But some books like SC and LB might make the ratings go up. As long as they stick to the books, I wont mind.

~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis

Posted : September 14, 2009 2:55 am
Page 1 / 5
Share: