Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Should Narnia Movies Give The Villains A Backstory? Poll was created on Apr 17, 2023

Poll results: Should Narnia Movies Give The Villains A Backstory?
Voter(s): 3
Poll was created on Apr 17, 2023
Yes, they should!  -  votes: 1 / 33.3%
33.3%
No way! They should stick closely to the books!  -  votes: 1 / 33.3%
33.3%
Maybe!  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
I have no idea!  -  votes: 1 / 33.3%
33.3%

Villains Flashbacks In Narnia Films or Series?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

As I've mentioned in a thread about Narnia Villains Movies?, I think Narnia movies has potential to have great villains. Then of course, as Narnia fans, we don't want the movies to lose sight of what makes these baddies hate to love or love to hate in the first place.

A better option than stand alone movies would be if the villains were given some kind of backstory in the Narnia movies. The 2016 remake of The Jungle Book gave Shere Khan a backstory, helping audiences to understand his hatred for humans.

The Magician's Nephew could have Jadis tell of the Battle of Charn and it could all be shown in a flashback as she's telling of it.

Prince Caspian could have Miraz becoming bitter and angry when Caspian X is born, making him realize he's no longer next in line after Caspian IX.

The Silver Chair could have the Lady of the Green Kirtle not remembering her own origin, given that her main tactics is to make people forget. She can have a backstory, and for some reason, she does not remember it.

The Horse And His Boy could have Prince Rabadash visiting Cair Paravel as a nice guy, then watch him reveal his true nature!

The Last Battle could have Rishda telling of his ancestry, possibly even going back to whoever the Tisroc may have been between The Silver Chair and The Last Battle. It could even show how Shift came to live far up to the West.

How would you feel about Narnia movies giving the villains a backstory? Would you be for it or not?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 17, 2023 3:43 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I guess I'm slightly confused, because in the other topic you specifically mentioned that you didn't want the villains to be portrayed sympathetically, yet what other purpose does showing the villain's backstory serve other than to make the audience feel sympathy for why that character turned towards villainy in the first place?

What objective does adding backstory to a villain achieve if not in making an otherwise one dimensional villain seem more relatable? Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just something that squarely falls in the "building audience sympathy" category for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 4:14 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Probably the only anti-hero in the series would be Uncle Andrew. A movie could possibly show a flashback of how he got the box from Mrs. Lefay, and he discovers that it came from Atlantis. Then he becomes fixated on the possibility of traveling to another world or universe, giving him the reason to create the rings.

I’ve changed the topic title Should Uncle Andrew Have A Backstory? He’s probably the only anti-hero in the series. For the polling, while it’s central whether or not movie adaptions should give the villains a backstory, it can also be where whether he should or not. 

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on a film adaption showing Uncle Andrew receiving the box from Mrs. Lefay, and creating the rings. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 1:34 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena did you want this thread to be about Andrew, or about all the villains ?

If you want to change the title, you can use Edit on the first post of the thread. 

I think there's room for little flashback scenes about some of the villains. Perhaps Andrew could be seen with Mrs Lefay, with him speaking some of the book lines over it.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2023 6:44 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

I guess it could be both.

Perhaps a flashback of Jadis learning the secret of Deplorable Word as she's telling of the Battle of Charn or even Miraz sending out the seven lords out on the Eastern Ocean and manipulating his flatterers to beg him to become king as Doctor Cornelius is telling Caspian of it.

Maybe even in The Horse And His Boy, when Susan and Edmund are in Tashbaan, when they reflect on when Prince Rabadash was at Cair Paravel, it could be shown in a flash back as well. Even show a flash back of when Edmund went to speak with Rabadash and how he grew angry and cold and dangerous.

The Lady of the Green Kirtle killing Caspian X's Queen in her snake form and luring Prince Rilian away in The Silver Chair could also be shown in a flashback, as the Owls are telling of it.

While Andrew could fall into the villainous category, I kind think more of him as anti-hero. Andrew appearing with Mrs. Lefay and having him speak V.O is an idea.

Now it's been changed to Villains Flashbacks in Narnia Films or Series? A flashback thrown in there doesn't have to involved a backstory. Even though a villains origin stories are a popular thing, perhaps someone with a creative vision could come up with some sort of flashback without a backstory.

Though Villains Backstory has been a popular thing, given the reason for the polling list. A flashback without a backstory can still be done.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 7:06 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @icarus

I guess I'm slightly confused, because in the other topic you specifically mentioned that you didn't want the villains to be portrayed sympathetically, yet what other purpose does showing the villain's backstory serve other than to make the audience feel sympathy for why that character turned towards villainy in the first place?

I guess I can see how a flashback of Jadis using the deplorable word would serve to make her a scary villain, but personally I'd rather just hear Jadis tell the story to Digory and Polly. (I know not everyone agrees with me on this.) I want the emphasis to be on Digory going from admiring her to being horrified by her. Plus, such a flashback might give the viewers expectations that the deplorable word is going to be a bigger part of the plot later on (it isn't) and that the story is going to be more action packed than it actually is.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2023 7:20 pm
coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink 

I think that is idea but perhaps another option could be is that as she is telling of it, there's the sound of the noise of the battle in the background, and we see the expression on Digory and Polly's face.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 18, 2023 7:23 pm
Share: