Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Loss And Relief of the New Narnia Film Franchise

Page 2 / 2
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@coracle: There was no actual filming there. Cast were not on the island, it was merely used for background, still shots.  This was done from a boat, I believe, not from photographers going onto the island.

Thank you, for setting me straight. Ever since that Volcano disaster, I have had nightmarish thoughts about that filming of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Shocked  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2023 3:23 am
coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

The Walden VDT turned out to be a disaster for most Narnia fans. Looking at the box office records from the Walden trilogy from Box Office Mojo-

LWW had a $$180,000,000 budget; it made $65,556,312 on opening weekend; it made 291,710,957 domestically; it made $745,013,115 worldwide.

PC had $225,000,000 budget; it made $55,034,805 on opening weekend; it made $141,621,490 domestically; it made $419,665,568 worldwide.

VDT had $155,000,000 budget; it made $24,005,069 on opening weekend; it made $104,386,950 domestically; it made $415,686,217 worldwide.

Well, obviously looking at how much VDT made at the box office, it wasn't well enough for them to keep going with the series. I guess it would be a relief for the new Narnia franchise that it won't be a big budget film.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2023 8:04 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Although the Walden Dawn Treader movie did not do well at the box office I can’t really say that the film was a complete failure. It did follow the book somewhat except for certain things as the Green Mist and Ramandu’s not appearing, although his daughter was quite lovely.  The film had some really good special effects, and generally it was quite beautiful to watch.  My standard for a successful movie is not only in the amount of money it makes at the box office. I would say it was partially successful with some considerable flaws. I would encourage people to buy it on DVD or Blu-ray just to watch the film for its beautiful special effects and certain moving scenes such as when the children leave Narnia.  I have to admit that I enjoyed watching the movie, and the criticism of the film has not made any difference in my liking of it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2023 9:00 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

The Walden VDT turned out to be a disaster for most Narnia fans. Looking at the box office records from the Walden trilogy from Box Office Mojo-

Well, obviously looking at how much VDT made at the box office, it wasn't well enough for them to keep going with the series. I guess it would be a relief for the new Narnia franchise that it won't be a big budget film.

That was not why the next film was not made. You can find this information on Narniaweb.

The company did not get its right to the material renewed when it came up. Walden assumed it would, and even made media statements saying this. They were expecting to carry on and make SC.
However the Estate was not pleased with how the VDT film changed the story so much from the original, and did not renew the arrangement.
After this, there was a moratorium on the Narnia franchise; in Hollywood terms this would normally mean waiting seven years between the previous film and the release of the next one.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2023 11:41 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

Wasn’t the story that was planned for The Silver Chair movie farther from the book than the script that was used for Dawn Treader? I remember reading that they wanted to make The Silver Chair into a “girl power” movie, which was understandably not approved by Douglas Gresham. Narnia is certainly not about human power, and of course Aslan has to be the most important and powerful character. One can’t really blame Mr. Gresham for not liking the departure from the original story. It was the whole central theme of the proposed film which was wrong by Narnia standards. Apparently the people who would have written the script didn’t want to revise their interpretation of the Narnia books so that the story would be more accurate to Lewis’ ideas. Then the film was cancelled.  I was really disappointed because The Silver Chair is one of my favorite Narnia books and I was looking forward to seeing it on the screen. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2023 6:03 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@narnian78 

That was the next chapter, the new company. They began well. Then a new boss came in and wanted to change the story, as you've described. 

But Walden had already lost its right by what it did to VDT. 

The following year (2018) Netflix bought the rights to make all seven books into TV serials or films. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 16, 2023 2:22 pm
Narnian78 liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Right. I will also miss the score by Harry Gregson Williams for the first two Walden films. I had a lot of respect for him and I appreciated that David Arnold was able to keep in some of the elements from the first two for VDT. 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 16, 2023 4:47 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: