Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Loss And Relief of the New Narnia Film Franchise

Page 1 / 2
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, now we have confirmation that Greta Gerwig will be writing and directing at least 2 Narnia films, it makes one wonder what will be loss and what will be a relief.

I don't know if I could think of any that would be a loss from the new franchise. I would sure miss the actors who portrayed the Pevensies in the Walden. They could end up having some kind of a role in the new franchise, possibly the Adult Pevensies at the end of LWW and HHB.

Other than that, I don't know I could think of anything else that I would miss from the old franchise.

There are some reliefs-

1. "Saving the world" plot. I don't expect Greta Gerwig to make Narnia about saving the world. Even LB doesn't have that plot; I would be concern that they might have Tirian and Rishda fighting for the rulership of Narnia. Yet it's not likely to happened, which is a relief.

2. "Romantic" subplot. I don't expect her to enforce a romance, though it could be tempting. The only romance I see mainly are Frank and Helen, Prince Cor an Aravis (more like the C-plot, though), and Caspian and Ramandu's daughter. Romance isn't a big part of Narnia, so it's a relief that Greta Gerwig won’t ship two characters. I'm generally fine with a boy and girl character being close, but they don't have to fall in love.

3. "Keep bringing back the White Witch". I was actually kind of surprised when I saw the White Witch in the trailer for Walden's VDT. I even wondered if she was going to be in all seven  movies. Well, I don't expect Greta Gerwig to keep bringing back the White Witch, which is actually a relief. Oh, nothing against Tilda Swinton; I think she's a great actress and I actually really enjoyed her portrayal as the White Witch in the Walden. The two only movies that she should be in are MN and LWW. If the new franchise is to go in chronological order, after LWW, I wouldn't want to see the White Witch anymore.

Are there anything that you will miss from the old Narnia franchise? What are some things are you relieved about?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 28, 2023 1:15 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

I will certainly miss the Walden cast and we may see the old Pevensie actors play the adult versions though it still seems a little unlikely, but others (ie. Ben Barnes as Caspian X and Will Poulter as Eustace) may be gone forever.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2023 9:08 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The cast of the Walden films was very good and I definitely will miss them. I was hoping that Georgie Henley would able to return in another role since she might not be able to play Lucy except in an adult role, e.g. The Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle.  It would be years before those movies could be made, but there is hope of some of the cast returning as other characters.  They did a good job in choosing the actors in the Walden movies.  Ben Barnes was too old for Prince Caspian in the second film, although he was quite good and the correct age in the Dawn Treader film.  I thought the casting was much better than the story adaptation in the second and third Walden films.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2023 5:14 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Yeah. Though some of the cast from the Walden might be given some kind of a role in the new franchise. In a recent news, Will Poulter, who played Eustace, said that he would be down for another role in Narnia. So he might end up being cast as Lord Peridan in HHB or King Tirian in LB. 

It will sure get interesting about the new franchise. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 2, 2023 5:45 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Yeah. Though some of the cast from the Walden might be given some kind of a role in the new franchise. In a recent news, Will Poulter, who played Eustace, said that he would be down for another role in Narnia. So he might end up being cast as Lord Peridan in HHB or King Tirian in LB. 

It will sure get interesting about the new franchise. 

I am also very curious to see what role he gets! Applause   A relief I have is the very likely chance that Netflix's VDT will be green mist-less! Grin   Though I am still worried unnecessary romance may be implemented Sick (Like the whole Suspian thing)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2023 11:30 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @queencrunchytheweeb

A relief I have is the very likely chance that Netflix's VDT will be green mist-less! Grin  

Ooh, yes! That is a relief! There will be no Green Mist! I still like to pretend it never happened!

Not only that, but VDT wouldn’t be turned into “saving the world” plot. A big battle scene or even just a small one doesn’t convert very well with VDT. There’s so much you can do with a battle scene in LWW, PC, HHB, and LB without departing so far from the books (not as epic as the Walden and also not as cheesy as the BBC). Though it doesn’t convert as well in VDT, SC, and MN. 

Posted by: @queencrunchytheweeb

Though I am still worried unnecessary romance may be implemented Sick (Like the whole Suspian thing)

Yeah. I don't expect it, but I am kind of worried about that. Eyeroll   I honestly can't see a shipping of Eustace and Jill happening in SC, but I can almost see a love triangle enforced with Tirian, Eustace and Jill in the LB. I know there are fans out there that like to ship Tirian and Jill, but I'm sorry, I don't ship them at all.

Romance isn't a big part of Narnia. As I've said before, I am generally fine with a boy and girl being close, but they don't have to fall in love. Media will often say that if a boy and girl are that close, they have to be in love. Well, real life isn't like that, if you think about it.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 3, 2023 9:41 am
Cleander liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think Greta Gerwig fully realizes that the Green Mist did not work for the Dawn Treader movie and that using something like that would be a big mistake. But if she makes another film on that book will she invent another villain that was not in the book?  There will probably be many liberties taken with the story anyway. But adding villains would not be a good thing if Lewis didn’t intend to have them in the book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2023 6:54 am
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular

Another loss I have is we won't be seeing Walden's Dawn Treader Design! I loved the design despite the film's flaws. I am unsure if Netflix could beat Walden at it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2023 1:39 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@queencrunchytheweeb 

I also liked the design of the ship in the Walden movie, but I wish it was a complete ship.  If you watch the bonus features on the DVD or Blu-ray you will notice that the ship had no bottom. Although this is not visible in the film itself, knowing that the ship is not a complete vessel makes the Dawn Treader seem more artificial than it was in the book.  I guess that they have made other props this way for other movies, but I think it would have been more realistic to have a complete ship.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2023 2:32 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@narnian78 Most movies have a certain amount of artificiality, and we usually just accept that there were tricks, CGI, greenscreen etc. It's like going to the theatre and accepting 'suspension of disbelief' to enjoy the play (eg flat painted scenery is 'trees' or 'a brick wall'.)
On Narniaweb, we watched the production updates and lots of photos came through from locals who had been able to see the ship set it in its various stages. This didn't stop me enjoying seeing the ship on screen though.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 4, 2023 4:52 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I actually give credit to the filmmakers of the Walden for designing the Dawn Treader! They did such a great job on it! It will most likely look different in the new adaptation.

I agree with @narnian78 that the new adaptations of Narnia will be given some kind of creative license. Greta Gerwig will certainly have a creative vision of Narnia.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 4, 2023 8:26 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

With the BBC Narnia the Dawn Treader ship was a boat covered with polystyrene. I guess doing that was necessary because the film had a much lower budget than the Walden films. It was a little disappointing to find out, and I actually was more pleased with the Walden design. A complete ship would have been better and cost more money, but what they had was beautiful.  I think that some people were overly critical of the Walden film, although it did have some flaws in the story adaptation.  It was on the whole very enjoyable, and I was happy that I bought it on Blu-ray along with the other two movies. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2023 3:15 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Plus, the landscape of Narnia looks really nice in the Walden. Though I’ll admit that it does come to a point where it’s too distracting at times. 

It will also be a relief that Greta Gerwig won’t keep bringing back the White Witch. I was actually kind of surprised when I saw her in the trailer for Walden’s VDT, and was like, “Is she going to be in all seven movies?” I kind of saw what they were trying to do with her in PC. Then they squeezed her into VDT. History may have a way to repeat itself, and certainly wouldn’t want to keep bringing back the White Witch to be one of them. I don’t think she’ll be in all seven, which is a relief. 

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2023 6:52 pm
Narnian78 liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@Narnian78: A complete ship would have been better and cost more money, but what they had was beautiful.

Yes, the set for the Dawn Treader was really good to see. I've visited it, when it was at Coomera, on Queensland's Gold Coast Movie World Theme Park, at the end of 2010. That ship setting could be mounted on some sort of engineering gizmo, permanently set up on Warner Brother's filming lot, to enable scenes to be filmed on the boat, itself, allowing filming to take place regardless of the scenery. I've walked on its deck, & I've a photo of my husband & myself, beside the dragon head prow of the ship. There was a real back for the stern, with those casement windows. But the door to below decks could not be opened, because I can remember trying to do so. 

The main advantage of this mechanism is that it could be more cheaply & quickly disassembled & moved by semi-trailer or be shipped, to wherever it was needed. Yes, the Whitsundays where some of the filming was done, is very lovely scenery. They chose that volcanic White Island, (Whakaari) off the coast of New Zealand, to do some of the filming, but though in 2010, it was okay to film there, a decade later, in 2020, the volcano exploded, and members of a touring group were killed, when not all were evacuated in time. Chances are, the filming for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, will be considered a unique occasion, & nobody else might take the risk of ever filming there again. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2023 8:23 pm
Narnian78 liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@waggawerewolf27 Just a correction about White Island:

There was no actual filming there. Cast were not on the island, it was merely used for background, still shots.  This was done from a boat, I believe, not from photographers going onto the island.

[no need for me to comment about how unwise it was to use a live volcano as a tourist attraction]

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2023 2:23 am
Courtenay liked
Page 1 / 2
Share: