Notifications
Clear all

The Town Square II

Page 152 / 154
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator
Posted by: @jo

Good! re the meetings, Valia / @valiantarcher. Smile I know sometimes my hubby wishes there were not so many meetings so that he could just keep on working. Giggle  

I bet he does. Giggle My recurring work meetings happen on Mondays, so while Monday can be a bit choppy as far as making progress goes, it's nice to have most meetings out of the way after one day.
Well, sort of - I finished the book the day it was due (and then returned it before the library opened the next day, shhh).
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying all the snow! Grin (Though I would expect nothing less. Wink ) Are you supposed to get any more systems soon?
And I agree about the benefits of masks helping one stay warm during the winter. Giggle

@Ryadian, I suppose I can understand why adventurers would mainly be interested in meals. But what about snacks? Giggle Hurrah for work slowing down enough for you to be able to get back into a good pace! My schedule is still pretty heavy, but a little less hectic. (And someone did fill me in - but I got it right before the meeting...but we survived. XD )
And, yes, that book was Rhythm of War. Giggle It felt like an endurance test to get through it, but overall worthwhile. Oooh! How long is the audiobook? It's gotta be...what...over 30 hours or something? I'm sure it's a lot of hours to get through regardless.
All the best with figuring out your niece's present! Grin

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 29, 2021 5:34 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @valiantarcher

I suppose I can understand why adventurers would mainly be interested in meals. But what about snacks? Giggle

Well, this is true. 😉 I'm sure there are more desserts in there, I just haven't actually finished reading it ( Blush ), and I'm going off what I remember. Though, snacks would be a bit more handy, because I want to try my hand at making some of these when we can have our gaming group in person again, and snacks would be easier to handle!

The audiobook for The Way of Kings is 45 hours long. (I thought The Silmarillion was long at just under 15 hours!) One of the reasons why I haven't... quite finished it yet. I apparently have about 22 hours left. Giggle But yes, that must've been quite the endurance test! I'm really impressed that you managed to get it done before you had to return it! Applause Whew Praise  

I ultimately decided to go with a Playmobil set. (Playmobil is a toy that's kind of like LEGO in that it comes in a variety of sets and characters, but with much less focus on building.) I adored Playmobil when I was a little older than she is now, and I let my niece play with my old Playmobil when she came over last... and she seemed to like it. 😀 So I'm getting her some of her own. (It's a unicorn-based set and she looooves unicorns, so I think it's going to be a hit. 😉 )

I recently set up my computer so that I can't access certain distracting websites for 3 hours a night, and man, it's done wonders for my productivity. Giggle I'm actually managing to get some writing done! (Granted, there's also a certain game I bought recently that tends to get played first, but hey, one step at a time.) Right now I'm working out some kinks in the first book in a series I want to write. I feel like I keep coming back to the same problems, but I'm hoping that with some focus, I'll actually makes some progress this time.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 16, 2021 8:50 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@Ryadian, no worries! I find it hard to sit and read a cookbook cover to cover (usually too many good recipes). Giggle Oh, wow!! 45 hours! That's more than a full workweek of time. o_O But, hey, you're over halfway then! Grin Sounds like a good call on your niece's gift, especially with the unicorns! Grin I don't think we ever had Playmobil sets, but I know the name and it looks like fun.
Congrats on setting up your computer differently and the resulting productivity! It's good to hear you're managing to get some writing done. Smile I hope the stumbling block in the story gets resolved with some focus. What's the game that's currently being distracting? Giggle

Work is still being pretty crazy. I really do think it will get better in a week since that's the final deadline for my main project being in-house; other things will be crazy, but those usually result in a crazy day or two at a time, not for weeks on end. Giggle I've just gotta hang in there until then!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2021 6:42 pm
ceppault
(@ceppault)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @stargazer

*enters and sneezes from all the dust*

Figuring out how this quote thing works. Sheesh. What do they teach them at these forums?

Poking my head in. Realized I completely missed checking in on my 16th Anniversary with NarniaWeb. I ought be ashamed of myself.

Greetings to all!

This post was modified 3 years ago by ceppault

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 5:52 pm
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@ceppault Conga Rats on your anniversary! Applause    

It's great to see you on here. Wave Wave Wave

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 6:20 pm
ceppault liked
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

@ceppault Ditto! Congratulations on your 16th anniversary!! How do you feel now that your account is old enough to drive? Giggle It's wonderful to see you in the Square again. 🙂

Oh, wow!! 45 hours! That's more than a full workweek of time. o_O But, hey, you're over halfway then! Grin

Yeah... that has a lot to do with why I haven't finished it yet. Giggle (I've been stuck on that 22 hour mark for a few months now.) I do plan to finish it, eventually, but I need to get through my pile of library books first. 😛 The Playmobil was a big hit! 😀 (Helped by the fact that my brother got her some, too. 😉 ) 

Thanks! 🙂 It is really nice to have the creative juices flowing again. The game that's been taking up far too much of my time lately is technically a series of games in the Ace Attorney franchise. Giggle They're basically games where you play as a lawyer who has to defend his clients by pointing out contradictions in witness's testimonies (in the world's most absurd legal system, and they come just shy of admitting that in-universe). For some strange reason, I've found myself wanting to write a lot of murder mysteries lately.... Giggle (Spoiler alert: I'm no good at writing murder mysteries.)

Good luck hanging in there at work this week! It's good to at least hear that there's an end in sight. You can do it! Applause Applause Hug

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 22, 2021 8:39 pm
ceppault liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Going back a few posts: yay for delicious snickerdoodles, @ryadian. Btw, it wasn't until I joined NarniaWeb that I heard of these! Blush I don't know if they're even a 'thing' in Canada. Giggle

And what did you decide on for your niece's b-day present? Smile Oh! I just saw your response: Playmobil has a very good name. Is she enjoying the set? Oh yes, she is, I read later. Giggle Grin
Good for you for taking action in not being able to access certain sites. And hurrah for getting more writing done! Grin  

Hug to you, @valiantarcher, in all the work challenges. May you continue to see progress there. For sure, some days can be better than others.

Work is still being pretty crazy. I really do think it will get better in a week

Haha, I have heard this hopeful statement many times from my hubby. I have come to the conclusion that work is pretty much always crazy. LOL Hug Seriously, though, a few times are of less intensity than others, but more often than not, this is not the case. Tongue  

@ceppault, it's always such a fun and lovely surprise when you pop back in the good ol' Square. Hug

Posted by: @ryadian

Congratulations on your 16th anniversary!! How do you feel now that your account is old enough to drive?

LOL That cracked up me, Rya! And DITTO on the congratulations to cep! Party

We have had loads of snow this winter (mainly since Christmas), and a lot of cold, so the snow has stayed and increased. Dancing It has been a great winter here in SW Ontario. I must admit, 'though, as the days get longer, I am going to really miss the longer nights for walking and stargazing under the night's sky. Star  

Still waiting to have Christmas with our family. All in good (and safe) time. Yes, the Christmas decorations are all still up. Giggle

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 24, 2021 7:47 am
ceppault liked
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

It's good to see you again, @ceppault! Congratulations on your 16th NW anniversary! Grin

All the best with juggling your library book and audiobook demands, @Ryadian! I would almost certainly be bogged down by such a long audiobook. Tongue
Hurrah on the gift to your niece going over well (and your brother has good taste Wink )!
I'm not really sure how you play the Ace Attorney game (not that I understand how to play any games), but the premise sounds fun! I would say go for writing the murder mystery anyhow, even if it's not good. Grin And thanks! It was a long week, but I made it and the project design is finished. Grin

Posted by: @Jo
Haha, I have heard this hopeful statement many times from my hubby. I have come to the conclusion that work is pretty much always crazy. LOL Hug Seriously, though, a few times are of less intensity than others, but more often than not, this is not the case. Tongue

Ha, okay, fair enough. Tongue {ym}:giggle But there is still a special rush as a project wraps up and it's nice to have one project finished, even if I will go into the next one right off. Wink So glad to hear you've been enjoying the winter weather! Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 12:07 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

But there is still a special rush as a project wraps up and it's nice to have one project finished, even if I will go into the next one right off.

Definitely, yes! I guess I was being rather over-dramatic when I wrote that D's work is pretty much always crazy ... 'though I know it sometimes feels that way. Silly But, yes, there really is a strong sense of accomplishment and completion when a job is signed off. Still, many of Dennis' projects can go on for years ('tis the nature of the work), so yeah. Giggle  

Usually I bake muffins on Saturday for the following week, but last weekend I made so many that I don't need to do so today. Giggle We currently have applesauce raisin and banana chocolate chip at the plenty. Next Saturday I may make cornmeal again. Or bran/raisin bran. Mmmm!

Although some of you know this already, I don't think I have mentioned here in the Square that near the beginning of the pandemic (can you believe it is coming up on one year?! Shocked ) I decided to let my thick hair go its natural colour. I had been colouring it (a deep brown) for about a decade, which was fine, but now that I have made the switch, I wish I had let it do its own thing all along. Giggle I was apprehensive at first of taking this plunge, but now realize that having it my natural shade (a silvery-white) is so ... freeing! A relief, actually: less expense; no chemicals; not having to wonder if that 'skunk stripe' is beginning to show. LOL Anyway, it was a big decision, but I had been thinking about doing this for a couple of years already, and the lockdown was a choice time to implement this. Cool

For some strange reason, I've found myself wanting to write a lot of murder mysteries lately.... Giggle (Spoiler alert: I'm no good at writing murder mysteries.)

I agree with Valia: go for it, Rya! Skull (I only used the skeleton because I never use that emoji, and it seems very apropos for talk about a murder mystery. Giggle ) Rooting for you. Grin

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2021 12:55 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @jo

We have had loads of snow this winter (mainly since Christmas), and a lot of cold, so the snow has stayed and increased. Dancing It has been a great winter here in SW Ontario.

I don't know how many Minnesotans would agree with me, but I feel similar about the winter in Minnesota this year. It did get bitterly cold a couple times in February, but a Minnesota winter without a cold snap just wouldn't be a Minnesota winter. Giggle

Here's hoping that you get to celebrate Christmas soon, Jo. Hug  

And thanks! It was a long week, but I made it and the project design is finished. Grin

Yay, Conga Rats! Applause Applause  

I'm not really sure how you play the Ace Attorney game (not that I understand how to play any games), but the premise sounds fun! I would say go for writing the murder mystery anyhow, even if it's not good. Grin

Thanks for the encouragement (you as well, @jo), but I'm pretty sure it's more that my imagination is copying what I've been playing than that this is what I actually want to write. 😛 (Though maybe I can channel that into working on the superhero universe my brother and I are developing... after all, what are superheroes if not detectives who solve the murder before the murder actually happens? 😉 )

It's funny how the pandemic kind of made certain choices for us, huh? Giggle But I'm glad to hear you're liking your decision, Jo! 🙂 (Here's hoping that, after things settle down, we can have a Moot sometime and I can see how it looks! 😀 What I'm imagining based on your description looks quite lovely. 🙂 ) 

I can't believe Easter is coming up so quickly now! I did, at least, actually get my decorations up in a reasonable amount of time. (That was sooo difficult, since I have all of two decorations. 😛 ) After last year's Easter was so surreally quiet (we hadn't gotten used to it yet), I have grand plans of going all-out and trying a bunch of new things for Easter. We'll see if any of those plans come to fruition. 😛

For a couple years now, I've thought about learning how to cook lamb since... that seems appropriate for an Easter dinner. But lamb is expensive enough that I'm hesitant to experiment too much. Plus, I've never even tried it (neither has anyone else in my family), so I'm worried about spending a lot of money on something that no one likes. Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2021 8:27 pm
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

After last year's Easter was so surreally quiet (we hadn't gotten used to it yet), I have grand plans of going all-out and trying a bunch of new things for Easter. We'll see if any of those plans come to fruition. 😛

...But lamb is expensive enough that I'm hesitant to experiment too much....

Perhaps you might consider trying your hand at pysanky? Seems appropriate, and, besides...eggs are much cheaper than lamb. 😛

(Incidentally, if you find this interesting to watch, the maker is also on Tik Tok as @cheekycraftylady and she does lots of cool egg designs. A much less complicated, but insanely cute one, would be her Totoro one.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2021 11:39 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

but a Minnesota winter without a cold snap just wouldn't be a Minnesota winter.

Ditto for Ontario. And not just one, but a few. Giggle Thanks for the Christmas celebration wish, @ryadian. Hug

working on the superhero universe my brother and I are developing.

Wow, that is impressive! How many years have you been working on this together?

I hope your Easter this year, Ryadian, is more memorable than last year's. May your plans come to fruition! We are hoping to have family here, but will not know until the week before. Everything depends on how the pandemic is progressing (or rather, hopefully regressing Tongue ) here. It would be better if we could all sit outside, but that is iffy in early April here in Ontario.

Mmm, I adore lamb. Let us know what you end up cooking, Rya!

How is your work week going, @valiantarcher?

*waves cheerily to @wren too* Wave  

Our son and his wife bought their first home back in late Autumn, and moved in this past weekend. Because of COVID, we could not go to help them move Sad but Geneviève's family is in the same province (Québec) so were able to help a lot. And Gen's mom has stayed with them all this week to do those myriad of tasks after moving from one place to another. Smile Bear, their beloved dog, is settling in okay, but still a bit puzzled as to this unknown, but lovely, place. Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2021 9:20 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@Jo, indeed! My projects don't tend to go on as long as Dennis' (or at least not with a consistent level of intensity), but I'm sure he has a great sigh of relief when a project does finally finish, even if he's starting a new one as well. Giggle And I'm so glad you're enjoying your new natural hair color! Grin (Haven't quite made the shift in my mental image of you yet, though. Giggle )
Has Bear adjusted to the new place more now?

@Rya, that's understandable about the murder mystery idea just being something fun and not actually something you want to write. But, at the same time - if it's fun and you want to get back in the habit of writing, it might not be a bad idea to play with it and have fun? (Unless it's distracting from what you actually want to write, that is.)
Ditto Jo on hoping this Easter is special for you all! I've had lamb with mint jelly once, and it was not something I liked at all. But if you really want to try it, maybe you could get just a little bit, kind of as a side dish? And then if it turns out no one likes it, it's not a full meal's worth.

My work week went pretty well. My next project has indeed kicked off and it's been demanding already. Oh well. Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2021 12:11 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

Has Bear adjusted to the new place more now?

Yes! Smile She is finding her 'sweet spots' ... those areas of the house she feels particularly comfy and safe. We have a fun screen shot from our weekly video chat that shows one of her favourite choices—right by the front door, all curled up on the rug there. We entitled the shot "The Bear Rug". Giggle

My next project has indeed kicked off and it's been demanding already. Oh well.

Hug I hope you can gain good understanding and clarity for this new project, Valia.

After a few clear days and nights here, we awoke this morning to a bit of snow under interesting grey skies. Very pretty.

We, as a family (mostly), are hoping to finally get together for Easter. This will not be our Christmas, as Geoff and Gen from Montréal will not be able to make it down as yet, with travel still being discouraged even between provinces here. But we are hoping to have our daughter, youngest son (from Toronto), and my elderly father over. Dad has had his first vaccine dose, which relieves us, but we will still be careful, of course. It would be unusual for early April here to be warm enough to eat outside, 'though that would be ideal. We shall see. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 16, 2021 7:43 am
Arwen_Daeneri31
(@arwen_daeneri31)
NarniaWeb Nut

I have been very busy with school but wanted to drop by is there anything planned for stories and such? It is nice to see you all.

It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 11:15 am
Page 152 / 154
Share: