Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Blossom Festival Mansion 2021

Page 1 / 4
Delia Death
(@ms-death)
Ghost Wrangler Ditto Town Host

Welcome, traveler, to the First Annual Blossom Festival! Won't you come out and join the party?

The Blossom Festival is held in the Square in front of the Mansion. While the Mansion is open, there are a variety of booths, games, mud pits, contests, and other funnities in the Square.

Everyone is welcome to join in! You can come as yourself, your favorite (original) character, even your favorite hat! The Blossom Festival, like the Holiday Mansions, are generally not heavily planned out (with a exception explained below), so there is quite a lot of room to enjoy some tea or coffee, kick back, relax, and catch up with some old friends—or, if we prefer a more active lifestyle, open your own booth! As long as your booth contents do not violate the rules, they can be as outrageous and wacky as you like.

There are a few guidelines to keep in mind:

1) If you choose to come as a character (other than yourself), please do keep your characters original. Thus, showing up as Lucy Pevensie or Bilbo Baggins would be a no-no.

2) Do not fold, staple, mutilate, kill, or otherwise destroy, another writer's character(s).

3) Keep in mind that all general forum rules still apply.

4) Keep all posts rated “G” or “PG” for the sake of our younger members.

New Event Challenge:

The Blossom Festival will feature a new event: a Mini Bingo Challenge! When your guest first arrives, they will want to pick up a bingo card. You, as the writer, will receive your own Bingo card separately. Every time a character written by someone else fulfills an item on your bingo card, you may complete a square. Please keep track of when each square is filled! The first person to shout BINGO and provide their completed card to myself or a moderator will win.

Please do not peek at other people's cards!

If you are new to Ditto Town, or are interested in learning a bit more about what goes on here, this is a perfect place to jump in, as no prior knowledge about the subforum is needed to participate. If, however, you have any questions, feel free to PM myself or one of the Ditto Town mods, and we would be happy to provide you with an answer. And if we don't know the answer, we'll either make something up, or refer you on to someone who does know. We're pretty good about knowing, though!

Come on in and join the fun!

D. Death

Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2021 2:09 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

On a bright sunshiny morning, a young woman and a black bull strolled up the street and stopped at the edge of the Mansion Square.

"Promise you will behave this time?" The young woman said, brushing nonexistent wrinkles from her skirt.

"Promise you won't gush about how wonderful it is to meet everyone this time?"

Moira glared at the bull. "I didn't 'GUSH'; I was just happy and it really was wonderful to meet everyone. And don't try to dodge the question - we are VERY fortunate to have been allowed back after your conduct at the winter party."

The bull huffed. "I'll do my best."

Moira held her glare.

"I promise I'll do my best to behave. That's all I can promise - take it or leave it." The bull stared back.

"I guess it will do," she conceded after a minute. "I can't just let you wander off on your own - who knows what sort of trouble you'd get into."

"How ever did the world survive before you met me?" the bull muttered.

"What was that?" the young woman asked, tucking a few stray wisps of hair behind her ears.

"Oh, ah, good - glad you accept those terms," the bull said, trotting forward into the Square. "Now, I wonder what snacks they will have this time."

Moira darted after him, excited to see what this festival would entail.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : March 28, 2021 7:36 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Mel, a large St. Bernard dog, trotted down the street toward the Ditto Town Blossom Festival. She'd found a large sun hat--a fancy one, with ribbons and flowers--and it rode her head at a jaunty angle. Her fur was freshly brushed, to get most of the winter coat out, and her tail waved back and forth with pleasure. She was so looking forward to the excursion and meeting old friends and new!

Already, on the road ahead of her, Mel could see a black bull and a young woman entering the festival. 

There were supposed to be games (and snacks) and she couldn't decide what she wanted to do first. Should she do a quick tour of the booths to see what there was, or should she just start at the first booth and try them all in order? Would there be an egg hunt? Would there be a flower show? Would there be some sort of gardening competition, or a treasure hunt--something that might showcase her specialized digging skills?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : March 28, 2021 8:19 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee

"We're gonna be late!"

That was a bit premature, but Ian was so excited at being able to be the one to say that -- for once -- that he couldn't help it. 

"We are not," Lauren replied tartly. She checked her hair once last time. Her long dark hair always seemed to have a mind of its own, but it was holding the curls she'd put in this morning, and no wisps of hair were falling in her face or sticking out in wild directions. Satisfied that there was nothing she could do to make it look any better, Lauren carefully put on her earrings, white gold with tiny blue flower charms. She smoothed out her white satin skirt, tucked in the hem of her white floral blouse, and put on her pale pink cardigan.

Ian was waiting at the door. Lauren took in his blue fuzzy bunny ears headband, his turtleneck decorated with multicolored Easter eggs, and sighed. She would never ask Ian to change, even if she thought he'd listen, but she hoped that maybe, just once, they could go somewhere together without him dressed like her five-year-old nephew.

Well, that was unfair. Nicky's mother usually dressed him better.

"What kind of booths do you think there'll be?" Ian asked conversationally as they walked. "I used to kill at that beanbag toss booth, remember? Oh, and the ring toss? Man, I miss grade school."

Lauren rolled her eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I know you wish you could still go on pony rides."

She ignored him. "Didn't you see any of the other booths when you were setting up yours?"

Ian made an indignant noise. "Peek? Spy?! What kind of dirty, no-good, dishonest, flimflamming individual do you take me for? Besides, it would take away the surprise!"

Lauren rolled her eyes again, but it was forced this time. "Which idea did you go with, then?"

Ian grinned at her. "You'll just have to wait and see," he said, sing-song. "And here we are!"

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

Posted : March 29, 2021 12:18 am
Lady Arwen
(@wren)
The Mermod Moderator

Kaelin was practically beside herself with excitement. While snow itself was cool, the winter season was less so, whereas spring had growing things and dirt and fun. She had been so excited, in fact, that she had managed to convince her sister to spend two nights in town, assuring that she did not miss a drop of festivities. Thus, she has spent the morning scampering around the Square, helping various booth-makers set up, taking full advantage of her canvas overalls, and generally being in the way. Maeve, on the other hand, had enjoyed a good book and coffee, and had only recently been wrested away from them and coaxed to arrive early at the festivities, where Kaelin had given her the full tour. 

“...and best of all,” Kaelin said, concluding her tour, “is, back there, is a booth for mud wrestling. There is even a prize.”

Posted : March 29, 2021 2:08 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Moira came to a stop shortly after entering the Square. She turned around slowly, staring at all the stalls set up for the festivities. It's so much bigger than the market at home. Everything was decorated brightly and cheerily, with flags and streamers.

"Where should we visit first?" she asked, turning to the Bull, only to find him already halfway across the square. She didn't fancy running after him, especially when she realised there was someone in the booth five feet to her right. Someone who caught her eye and gave her a welcoming smile. She smiled back and started towards the man. It's as good a place as anywhere to start.

"Good morning, sir. What do you have?" Moira asked, glancing down at the pieces of paper spread out on the table in front of the man.

Posted : March 30, 2021 6:25 pm
Hugh Hologram
(@hugh-hologram)
Member Ditto Town Host

"Good mortereve!" Hugh said brightly. "Unfortunately, minding the bar is not on my list of duties for today, so I'm overseeing Bingo. Are you familiar with the game?"

~ Read the Ditto Town Frequently Asked Questions ~

Posted : March 30, 2021 6:31 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

"Bingo? No, sir, I'm not. How does one play?"

All Moira could see were the pieces of paper on the table and a glance at the back of his booth revealed no balls or hoops or sticks. What sort of game was played just on paper?

Posted : March 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Hugh Hologram
(@hugh-hologram)
Member Ditto Town Host

"It's quite simple, really! Please, take a paper--any color will do--and a pencil. Now, that is your bingo card. As you enjoy the Festival, keep an eye or ear out for the things listed on it. When you find one of the items, mark it off and have the person responsible sign on top of it. If you get a row or column completed, or you get a line from one corner to the other, you come back here and show me. The first five people to finish get a prize."

This post was modified 3 years ago by Hugh Hologram

~ Read the Ditto Town Frequently Asked Questions ~

Posted : March 30, 2021 6:41 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

"Oh, I see," Moira said, picking up a pencil and a green piece of paper. "Thank you, sir!"

With a smile, she left the stall and walked past a few others before stopping to read the items listed on the paper.

A mud monster?

A wreath of flowers?

Someone wearing rabbit ears?

"This is a game you're supposed to be able to play? How on earth could you expect to find any of this, much less all of these items?" Moira asked herself. Still, the man at the booth had been kind enough to give it to her, so the least she could do was try to play. She carefully placed the pencil and the paper in her pocket and went to investigate some of the other booths.

Posted : March 30, 2021 6:52 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

"Excuse me, friends," Mel barked. "Beautiful day, isn't it?" Her attention had been caught by Ian's and Lauren's outfits, which were festive in different ways--she was sure they'd met at the holiday party but she didn't want to get their names wrong-- "May I ask where you got the bunny ears? I have a friend who might like a pair, as a souvenir of the occasion." 

Technically, she intended to put them over the mirror she had at home, to decorate the mirror and to enjoy the sight of her own face adorned with tall, upright ears instead of the droopy triangles she'd been born with. 

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : March 31, 2021 9:13 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Anxiously, Molly surveyed her wares.  She gave a final polish to the row of glass jars, each with their colourful contents enticingly displayed.  Butterscotch drops, candy corn, cherry balls--there were even horehound pastilles, for people with a sore throat.  Clouds of cotton candy hung from the ceiling--pink and blue and green--and there were rows of striped stick candy in a multitude of flavours.

She twitched at her braid of bright red hair.  First thing this morning, she had tied it back: customers weren't likely to enjoy random hairs in their selections.  Never mind the customers; she herself didn't want to have to deal with a sticky mess like that ever again. Once was enough.

Hopping down, she looked up at the row of elaborate trim.  The booth was dressed as a gingerbread house, and looked not too bad.  She had been up bright and early, giving it some last touches, and now it was as ready as it was going to be.  It wasn't that she thought that nobody would come to visit an old-fashioned candy shop.  On the contrary; she knew that there were a lot of other interesting things to see as well, and hoped that she would get the chance to get out and see them.

"Hi Mel," she called to the St Bernard.  "And it's Ian and Lauren, if I remember correctly."

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : April 1, 2021 10:22 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Moira paused in front of a stall filled with flowers - buckets of them were sitting on a table at the front, on the ground in front of the table, and hanging from the sides of the stall. The labels proclaimed roses, daffodils, lilies, lilacs, carnations, and more were on display.

"Hello?" she called, trying to see around the flowers for the stall's owner.

No one called back, but she got her answer in the form of a piece of paper half-hidden behind a sheaf of sunflowers.

"Took a break. Will be back later. Have fun making daisy chains, flower crowns, etc.!"

Well, it does sound like fun. 

Moira selected a few buttercups and began working on her wreath.

Posted : April 1, 2021 8:02 pm
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee
Lauren had thought they would head straight for Ian's booth, but he wanted to take it slow and look around. He exclaimed over an egg-themed one, gave a cry of delight at one that looked to have a beanbag toss, and grabbed her arm and pointed at a gingerbread house booth with wordless enthusiasm. He insisted on taking a bingo card, too.
Posted by: @mel

"Excuse me, friends," Mel barked. "Beautiful day, isn't it?" Her attention had been caught by Ian's and Lauren's outfits, which were festive in different ways--she was sure they'd met at the holiday party but she didn't want to get their names wrong-- "May I ask where you got the bunny ears? I have a friend who might like a pair, as a souvenir of the occasion." 

Ian beamed at being addressed. "Mel! It is Mel, right?" He reached up to pet the soft fuzz of his bunny ears. "Always glad to do a favor for a fellow admirer of rabbit headgear! Did you know these things come in packs of six? I've got enough for all your friends! Provided you have no more than five friends who want one."

Posted by: @aileth

"Hi Mel," she called to the St Bernard.  "And it's Ian and Lauren, if I remember correctly."

Lauren smiled and offered a hand. "You do. Though I don't think I caught your name."

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

Posted : April 2, 2021 2:29 am
Arwen_Daeneri31
(@arwen_daeneri31)
NarniaWeb Nut

A tall high elf arrived in the square and looked around, she brought out her map and notes that the human girl had given her. "This is the right place." Sylverele Moonshadow said to herself, she adjusted her bow again and brushed back a strand of her long red hair. She noticed there were people and decided to approach, after a long journey alone she could use the company of others to fill the void of silence. 

If anything this gathering looked...what is the word...fun? She thought and felt the tug of a smile on her lips that soon reached her blue eyes. Perhaps someone would explain what was going on, her human friend, while thorough on the directions had failed to explain just what was going on. She saw people gathering and decided to walk towards them, surely a leather clad elven ranger wouldn't seem so out of place.

It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.
–C.S. Lewis

Posted : April 2, 2021 9:06 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: