Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Narnia Style Day

Page 2 / 8
Peepiceeka
(@peepiceeka)
NarniaWeb Regular

Djaq wrote
Okay, gals, what do you think; should I do a Narnian dress (like an actual costume from the movies), or try to be more creative and make something that's slightly modern (top and a pants/skirt ensemble)?

Probably the classic dress get-up. It doesn't necessarily have to be a particular design from the movies, but would make it look very Narnian, unless you were perhaps going to dress up as Aravis in which case pants are a good option. :)

Adeona wrote
I've never made any type of clothes before, just a [very bizarre] quilted cloak for one of my stuffed animals when I was about ten. I've been wanting to make myself a green linen cape for quite a while now; I've even purchased a pattern and a fastener for the throat. But I am too nervous to actually purchase the cloth and start cutting!

Go for it! But the best thing to do would be to start small with projects like pillows, blankets, and such. If you have a friend or relative who knows how to sew, ask them if they could teach you a few things! Because eventually you will be able to create a dress. It's not really that hard if you know all the basics. :)

Posted : November 17, 2009 2:01 pm
Scarlet_Trefoil
(@scarlet_trefoil)
NarniaWeb Regular

Thank you, Adeona, for the sandal suggestion. It hadn't even crossed my mind. But now that you mention it, I think I have a pair (or two) that will be quite lovely with my long Narnian-ish skirts come summer. Too bad VoDT isn't going to be a summer release - I just thought of the perfect summer outfit to wear to the theater! :( ;)

Oh, good. Thanks, girls! If I get two confirmations, I know I'm on the right track. :D The black flats are just about my favorite shoes ever, because they look adorable with almost my entire wardrobe, so if they work for the NSD, so much the better. B-)

Narnia clothing update: I have decided not to do an actual costume (cost and time are too prohibitive); for this year, I will attempt some blousy top-and-skirt ensembles. I have four suitable skirts now (pics to come after I get a Photobucket) and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy of Design It Yourself Clothes by Cal Patch so I can get started on my tops. I just have to figure out if I should make loose, billowy tops and belt them to get the unstudied but feminine Narnia look or if I should layer lacy, hand-made-looking sweaters over knits. Or maybe both? Or perhaps I should just post my Marian outfit (which ended up being more of a "what Marian would wear from my closet" look /:) ) and y'all can give me feedback and I just go from there. Yep, that's a plan! ;;)

~Scarlet

“To love God is to love His will. It is to wait quietly for life to be measured by One who knows us through and through. It is to be content with His timing and His wise appointment.”
― Elisabeth Elliot

Posted : November 24, 2009 1:41 pm
Heroine of Chivalry
(@heroine-of-chivalry)
NarniaWeb Nut

Edit: I added several more names to the list.

Hi everyone! :-h

Okay, it looks like the official date for the next Narnia Style Day is 25 April, 2010. If anyone has a problem with that, please post or PM me before February.

Thank you, Adeona, Peepiceeka and Lillian, for volunteering to PM people. What do ya'll say to sending the PMs in February (to give everyone time to prepare) and then again as a reminder in early April? I agree that we should all PM our friends about it, and I made a short list (from memory) of the people who had expressed interest or participated before so might like to hear about the next NSD:

Pselnarnia
Sleepwalking
RoseRed
LyliaOfTheElves
HorseLover
TheGentleWarrior
Lioness13
Susan's_look_a_like
LucyforNarnia
MaidofArchenland
Meadow
Lucy Took
GracefulRose
princess_of_narnia
Lady Arwen
MissAravis
Morning Glory
SmileySmackdown
eustace
smartypants
*bigsis_sue* (I don't know her new username)
Milana
PrincessGracpain
LucyforNarnia
JewelsFriend
QueenSu
narnianerd
ladyoflanternwaste
Alyssa
aravis13
Queen Susan
Fire Fairy
wulfloversk
QueenSusanJ316
Liberty Hoffman

I don't know if everyone has transferred to the new forum yet, though. PMs should probably contain an explanation of what Narnia Style Day is (an event celebrating Narnia and the start of the Inklings by wearing Narnian clothes and, if you can, going places so that people can see them and maybe ask so we can tell them about Narnia :) ), the date and a link to this thread (so that they can get more information if they want it).

I think I can start a thread about Narnia Style Day on TheLion'sCall and Aslan's Country). Peepiceeka, would you like to do the same on NarniaFans?

I'm not on the other Narnia websites, but I could bring it up elsewhere. I'm trying to persuade my Internet friends to join NW, so this might be the perfect opportunity!

I hope that works out! It would be wonderful to have even more people participate than last year.

I didn't really know anything about Narnia Day last year. What date was it on?

The 21st of March I believe, but I don't remember very well.

Scarlet, I agree with Djaq and Adeona that the first pair of shoes you posted look Narnian. I'll probably wear my white sandals which are nice but not too dressy.

Lillian and Peepiceeka, I hope to see pictures of what you come up with! *agrees with Scarlet and Lillian that Susan's archery dress is my favorite* I'll probably post some pictures of my Narnian dress when we get nearer the date.

On the subject of costumes and dressing up, this sounds really neat! I think that you can use pieces similar to Narnian outfits to make a Marian one (or vice versa)!

That event was all over the blogs I frequent and you're right, many of the "Marian inspired" outfits looked very Narnian. (I particularly loved this one.)

Okay, gals, what do you think; should I do a Narnian dress (like an actual costume from the movies), or try to be more creative and make something that's slightly modern (top and a pants/skirt ensemble)?

Hm :-? Could you possibly do both? Last year I did the all out Narnian and dressed my siblings in "Narnian inspired" modern clothes.

I've been wanting to make myself a green linen cape for quite a while now; I've even purchased a pattern and a fastener for the throat. But I am too nervous to actually purchase the cloth and start cutting!

I completely sympathize with being too nervous to start the project. But the cloak sounds so beautiful and would be perfect for Narnia Style Day!
My two main problems with sewing are that I can't read instructions any better than I can read Hebrew and my sewing machine hates me. It works beautifully for my sisters but as soon as I start to use it, it starts gagging and stalling. 8-|

Scarlet, it sounds like you have good ideas. I would love to see pictures of your Marian inspired outfit!

That's all for now, everyone! Thank you for your dedication to this thread (I confess, I feared it would be gone before I returned).
@};-

I left Narniaweb for inexplicable reasons in the beginning of June 2010 and probably will not be returning (much as I love this place). So if you're wondering why I disappeared, now you know! (sort of...)

Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2009 12:02 pm
QueenSusanJ316
(@queensusanj316)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hello,
I am a new member, and I was wondering if anything else is done on Narnia day besides wearing Narnian clothing, and if there are any members in upstate New York who would like to do something on that day. My friend and I are so excited to participate this year. I have several Narnia costumes to pick from, the problem is just choosing one. :)

PM me if you would like be part of a Lion Party in the state of New York!

Posted : January 12, 2010 3:24 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I definitly want to be part of Narnia Style Day! I will either dress up as Lucy or Susan.....most likely Lucy!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : January 20, 2010 10:36 am
Heroine of Chivalry
(@heroine-of-chivalry)
NarniaWeb Nut

Hi QueenSusanJ316! Welcome to Narniaweb! (sorry I'm so late) We try to go places on Narnia Style Day and kind of show off that we're celebrating Narnia and the Inklings. :) If you want, you can read about what my family did last year here. That is really neat that you have several Narnia costumes and a friend with whom to celebrate. Would you be interested in posting any pictures of your costumes? I know I'd love to see them. :)

Hi Liberty! I'm glad you're joining us. :)

I left Narniaweb for inexplicable reasons in the beginning of June 2010 and probably will not be returning (much as I love this place). So if you're wondering why I disappeared, now you know! (sort of...)

Topic starter Posted : January 27, 2010 8:56 am
QueenSusanJ316
(@queensusanj316)
NarniaWeb Nut

I would love to post my outfits my mom and I have made, but I will have to ask her first, and then figure out how to do it. By any chance is there a way to contact people in my area about getting together on Narnia style day? My mom said she would maybe have a party or something. :) Oh, and I am a big fan of the inklings, I actually did a paper on C.S. Lewis and them once.

Posted : January 28, 2010 7:28 am
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

Well, my sisters are all interested in dressing up for Narnia Style Day with me. There is one problem - we probably won't be able to participate on that Sunday, but will belatedly celebrate on Monday the 26th. Sorry!

I've finally started work on the cape, and it is coming along nicely; should be done in plenty of time for April. I'll try to post a picture when I finish it. Thanks for the encouragement!
I think I will wear with it a white blouse, rather modern but still appropriate, and my blue beaded flower necklace (ditto). But I'm having trouble deciding what to wear "Below". I don't think any of my skirts are sufficiently Narnian. I don't think I'll be able to make one quite yet. So I guess I'd better start keeping an eye open for a good "Narniaesque" ( :D ) skirt.

Heroine of Chivalry, thank you for posting that link! It's nice to be able to look back at what was going on before my time.

Welcome to all the new participants! We are glad to have you join us. :)

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Posted : February 9, 2010 9:59 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Hey this sounds like fun, I might make a Narnia-ish costume, and wear it, I don't know if I'll be able to go out however, only time will tell. But I'll definitely wear something, dryad maybe?

Please add me to the list of people to be reminded about it, also is there anything else I should know about it?

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : February 25, 2010 2:07 pm
Fire Fairy
(@fire-fairy)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm echoing what wolfloversk said. I used to not be very interested in dressing up, but today I get to be Queen Lucy for a literary version of "Where's Waldo?" at my school, and I really like it. Problem is, I'm borrowing the costume, so I'd have to find a way to get my own costume for NSD.

Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Posted : March 11, 2010 5:26 am
Heroine of Chivalry
(@heroine-of-chivalry)
NarniaWeb Nut

I'm so sorry I haven't posted here in so long.

QueenSusanJ316, that'd be really neat if you could have a Narnian party. I'm afraid I haven't studied the Inklings as I'd like to, so I'm fairly ignorant. *makes mental note to research Inklings*

That's great, Adeona! Belated celebrating is better than none. :) I'm glad your cape is coming along so well; is it finished now? Your outfit sounds nice; I hope you've found a skirt. I'm glad you liked the link!

That sounds great, wolfloversk! Sure I'll add you. Speaking of which, it's about time to start PMing people, I think. I don't think there is anything else you need to know.

Hi, Fire Fairy! I hope you'll be able to find a costume!

Okay, everyone, life has become very busy for me, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate here, but I'll do my best. :)

Topic starter Posted : March 23, 2010 3:01 pm
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

Yep, I've finished the cape, Heroine (do you mind at all if I call you that? ). It was so fun that now I want to try a vest like the one Lucy wears on the Dawn Treader! :D

OK, I've begun to PM the NWebbers on Heroine of Chivalry's list. Here are the names I've gotten to so far:

Pselnarnia is apparently not on NWeb anymore.
Sleepwalker
RoseRed
LyliaOfTheElves
HorseLover
TheGentleWarrior

I'll try to do more later. :)

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Posted : March 24, 2010 12:39 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

well, it took me forever, but I PMed all my friends on my list about Narnia Style Day! I hope it helps spread the word!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : March 24, 2010 2:15 pm
QueenSusanJ316
(@queensusanj316)
NarniaWeb Nut

I can't wait until Narnia Style Day!

Posted : March 25, 2010 11:33 am
Heroine of Chivalry
(@heroine-of-chivalry)
NarniaWeb Nut

Sure you can call me Heroine, Adeona! I'm glad your cape-making went so well! I'd love to see a picture or two. ;)

Thank you, Adeona and Liberty Hoffman, for PMing people!

Glad you're looking forward to it, QueenSusanJ316!

Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2010 1:20 pm
Page 2 / 8
Share: