Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Narnia Samurai Style Costumes

icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Just a random thing i found on the internet, its costume designs for the characters from Narnia, except all in a Samurai sort of style. Weird, but interesting:

https://linndeng.com/narnia-1

https://linndeng.com/creatures

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 22, 2021 3:43 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Those are beautiful! 

However, I would prefer not to add Narnia to the huge body of Japanese animation style characters. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 5:00 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

To paraphrase a famous fictitious basketball coach, there's nothing in the rulebook that says Narnia costumes can't be samurai style. Grin

VERY cool concept art. Applause I'm dying over Samurai Reepicheep. That's all I want in life: REEPICHEEP, SAMURAI WARRIOR: THE MOVIE. Japan, do your thing. Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 5:33 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, now we know what a Narnia anime might look like! Those are pretty cool designs! I liked Peter's little lion sigyll on his belt.

Samurai Reepicheep cracked me up though...

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Very cool, but I somehow reckon the real Reepicheep wouldn't think much of all that elaborate armour. Gets in the way and might make people think he was scared or something. Wink (In the books, he doesn't wear any clothes except a belt for his sword and a gold circlet on his head with a crimson feather in it.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 2:32 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I don't know much about Samurai style, despite having seen other popular franchise takes on this concept. But I particularly like Lucy's royal gown and wish we had a complete royal set as well as a mostly complete armored set for the Pevensies. 

(I think it looks more like a concept for a J-drama than an anime...)

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 7:36 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I'm trying to figure out how all of those animals fit into Narnia. Is the translation into a different language also include different characters that are more familiar to the location? Like instead of beavers, there's Mr. and Mrs. Frog?  

I am also intrigued by Peter's costume a chameleon, Susan's a turtle, Edmund and Jadis are Bees. Why? Are these some kind of sacred animals in Samurai history and legend? Or just animals the designer thought were cool and just used them as a design basis?

Posted by: @mel

But I particularly like Lucy's royal gown and wish we had a complete royal set as well as a mostly complete armored set for the Pevensies. 

Well, they're not complete, but down below in the sketches, there are other royal outfits. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 12:13 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Ooooh, thanks for pointing out the rest of the gallery, @fantasia! I see the alternate Susan designs also feature the chameleon design. Hmmm  

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 1:08 pm
fantasia liked
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Actually, it looks like all the Pevensies have a Chameleon theme - the texture on Lucy's golden sleeves, the crest on Edmund's chestplate, the pattern on Susan's green half-jacket, and then, of course, Peter's crest medallion and helmet. There's a comment on the expanded view that the chameleon is a family crest; no idea on the significance of the chameleon still, but the family crest makes sense.

Also, I think the bee pattern on Edmund's sleeves specifically tie into Jadis' bee patterns due to his betrayal?

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Geekicheep
(@geekicheep)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @rose

To paraphrase a famous fictitious basketball coach, there's nothing in the rulebook that says Narnia costumes can't be samurai style. Grin

VERY cool concept art. Applause I'm dying over Samurai Reepicheep. That's all I want in life: REEPICHEEP, SAMURAI WARRIOR: THE MOVIE. Japan, do your thing. Giggle

ROFL

Okay, sorry, I just thought that was too funny (and awesome) not to laugh!  I literally couldn't write a response for a few minutes, until I stopped laughing.  I love the idea but can't imagine what that would look like.  Okay sure, he would be trading his rapier for a katana, that much is obvious... but armor?  I can't imagine Reep in that O Yoroi or whatever it's called - it would weigh him down (or would it?  Might be a good one for the Metatron to analyze lol).  Not that I couldn't totally see Reepicheep as a ninja!  I must admit even that makes me laugh (Master Splinter? 😀 ) but still, if done right it could totally work.  He kicks enough... wins enough fights, that he would be really good in that role.  More importantly, I think the value he places on honor is totally consistent with the samurai (or at least in animated TV shows lol).

And yeah, I agree, there's nothing saying Narnian clothing (or art, or costumes) can't have a samurai look.  I kind of thought Miraz' armor had a bit of that going on in the Walden PC, and it worked for him.  And Narnia's history is filled with people from our world, so I'm sure a samurai got in there somewhere (lol).

Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2021 8:28 pm
Share: