Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Costumes and how they age - Disney Prop Culture

starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I was watching the Prop Culture Narnia episode and was thinking about the costumes they showed the actors. The steel sword and the shield obviously aged well. What kind of preservation do you think they had to do to keep the Pevensies outfits in the shape that they are? I know there are several copies out there likely.

I noticed the reactions of the Mary Poppins episode as they didn't expect the costumes and hats to last as long as they did and didn't really care at the time. Now that people collect these things and tend to want to take care of them, do they last longer because they care or do they last longer because they are made with that in mind?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 13, 2020 7:19 am
Jonathan Paravel
(@jonathan-paravel)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @starkat

Now that people collect these things and tend to want to take care of them, do they last longer because they care or do they last longer because they are made with that in mind?

I don't have any extra information about this, but a few thoughts. Funnily enough, the Narnia episode and the Mary Poppins Prop Culture episodes are the only ones I have watched. But I would imagine that it is a bit of Column A and Column B. With movies that are made with a large budget, perhaps the costumers take extra care in the quality, because the movie is of a genre that could create a legacy. But would taking that extra care in producing them require additional money in their budget? 
I wonder if the movie studios now plan which of the items will be archived. 
I am guessing that the care put into the keeping and restoration of items would be from day one now. Although maybe I need to watch more Prop Culture episodes to find that out! ? 

I too was changed when I met the Lion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2020 12:41 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

That would make sense. Though with how hard kids in general are on clothes, maybe the kids movies have that planned from the get go?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 8:51 am
Share: