Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Bad Fashion Design Made Narnia FAIL!!!! *sarcasm*

Page 1 / 2
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I stumbled across this editorial this morning and literally laughed out loud because I thought it was soooo ridiculous. So I thought I'd share it with you all too. :D

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/05/06/tim-gunn-joins-the-smurfs-these-other-franchises-could-use-his-guide-to-style-too/

Tim Gunn is well known for his fashion advice, but he's starting to build a reputation for himself beyond "Project Runway" and "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style" with something of a big screen presence. He's already set to appear in this month's "Sex and the City 2," and now there's news that he'll star in "The Smurfs" as an executive assistant at a major cosmetics company.

Clearly, Gunn's theatrical makeover isn't ripping him away from the fashion industry altogether — from the sound of it, his acting roles are firmly tied to his status as an expert on what styles are in and which ones are out. But the idea of Gunn making a film career out of playing analogues of himself in major franchises like "The Smurfs" sounds rather brilliant, at least to me.

After the jump, I've listed a few other franchise films that could use some in-movie fashion guidance from Gunn.

"The Chronicles of Narnia"
There's a reason that the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy worked and the "Chronicles of Narnia" saga hasn't, and it all comes down to fashion. Well, it's not all fashion, but Gunn as a fantasy fashionista could help the heroes of Narnia look as spiffy as Aragorn, Legolas and the other members of the fellowship.

There are a million reasons I can think of as to why Narnia didn't do as well as LotR... the "fashion" design is not one of them. :))

Topic starter Posted : May 6, 2010 8:51 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

*reads the rest of the editorial to get a feel for it* Maybe it's just me, but I think Narnia is out of place in his list. ;))

I also think the number of costume recreations are proof positive that fashion is not Narnia's failing. :p But hey, I could be biased on that point.

And... describing Legolas and Aragorn as 'spiffy' is just... 8-} :)) Although, I think it's growing on me. Spiffy. Spiffy. Spiiiffffffffy...

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : May 6, 2010 12:40 pm
Lady Galadriel
(@lady-galadriel)
NarniaWeb Junkie

In my opinion, anyone who's seen Narnia knows why 'Prince Caspian' didn't do well... /:) So Prince Caspian didn't do well because the audience didn't like the outfits?

Aragorn is spiffy? I had to look this up in my dictionary just to be sure I was right on what I thought the word meant, and apparently it means "fashionable, stylish." :-? =)) As for Legolas, I don't remember his costume.

Posted : May 6, 2010 3:34 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

Legolas wore green. And silver.

And for what it's worth, one source says that spiffy originated in the 1850's. So... this gentleman might be correctly described as spiffy.

I suppose we could read the last paragraph as saying the opposite... that Aragorn and co. aren't spiffy and the Narnians are? :-?

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : May 6, 2010 4:54 pm
Adeona
(@adeona)
Thursday's Wayfaring Child Hospitality Committee

=))
O.K., that's a good one!
I think that Aragorn was sporting more of a "Grunge" look for most of his screentime... ;) While Legolas certainly has more style, I hardly think it amazingly better then some of the Narnian costumes:

And of course, it's kinda tricky comparing; we are talking different universes here! :D

"In the end, there is something to which we say: 'This I must do.'"
- Gordon T. Smith
avi by Flambeau

Posted : May 6, 2010 7:26 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

Aragorn is spiffy, eh? =))
he's pretty dirty for most of the story..... :P

and Legolas may be clean and stand tall a lot, but not spiffy! :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

and Gimli is not spiffy he is a dwarf! :p :p

so now the Narnia characters are spiffy? hmmm...... =)) =))

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : May 7, 2010 12:08 pm
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

The fashion is so not the reason why Prince Caspian was a poor movie ;)

But that does make me laugh so hard though!! :D =))

I love that term "spiffy" It's so richy rich. I might use it now :D

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : May 9, 2010 6:55 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

when I think of Aragorn, spiffy is the last word that comes to mind! =))

and spiffy Narnians.....that just doesn't work! :D

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : May 13, 2010 11:48 am
A_Narnian_Ship
(@a_narnian_ship)
NarniaWeb Nut

I was shocked when I read the article! Isis did a fantastic job with the costumes, not to mention Richard Taylor with all the weapons and armor!! Besides LotR and CoN are two totally different worlds as Adeona pointed out.

I saw the movie....and was disappointed

Posted : May 13, 2010 2:29 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

^^ ditto!!!!! how could they say that the costumes were bad? they are awesome!

Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Posted : May 15, 2010 3:54 am
DaughterofEve1792
(@daughterofeve1792)
NarniaWeb Nut

:- :-o Come on! I loved the costumes in Narnia! All the styles and colors! Thanks Meltintalle for that visual image of a 'spiffy' gentleman. :D Aragorn was NOT spiffy! Except maybe at his coronation....but, hey, you'd get a little cleaned up to if you were being crowned king, wouldn't you? ;)
I did like Legolas' green outfit. He had a nice wardrobe. )I liked Susan's better though) :p

Posted : May 20, 2010 9:09 am
MountainFireflower
(@mountainfireflower)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Spiffy? Aragorn and Legolas = spiffy? I don't think so! /:) I'd call Peter & Edmund 'spiffy' before I ever called Aragorn and Legolas spiffy. It is a fun word though... :p

I definitely think that the Narnia costumes were hands down amazing. The LOTR ones were too, but I really don't think it's good to compare the two since they are both very different.

But oh man, that gave me a good laugh. =))

av by dot

Posted : May 22, 2010 8:33 am
AJAiken
(@ajaiken)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Well, I think we can all agree that everyone in Narnia (including Trufflehunter) dresses better than these guys. Or, indeed, these. ;))

Posted : May 22, 2010 8:42 am
DaughterofEve1792
(@daughterofeve1792)
NarniaWeb Nut

LOL you bet AJAiken! =)) :D

Posted : May 22, 2010 10:09 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Liberty Hoffman said: Gimli is not spiffy he is a dwarf!

On behalf of dwarfs, I'd like to state that Gimli was just as spiffy as the others in LOTR! And I like Trumpkin's old tattered garments too; there is a huge amount of style in their design and execution.

The person who wrote the article was grasping at straws. Narnia does not fit into the list of films that the stylist (whose name is new to me) could improve on.
Anyway, PC was not a bad movie, it was actually very good. Just not the same as the book.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : May 22, 2010 11:15 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: