Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The best audio dramas

Page 4 / 4
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @freshynfs! We are huge fans of the Focus Radio Theatre productions (I think we now have every one that has ever been made). I, too, have been in touch with FotF with great desire to see them producing more radio dramas of excellence. I have signed the petition, and will write to the C.O.O., as well. How we long to see them with funding again so they can move ahead with more beloved audio book drama projects.

The Narnia Chronicles are, of course, favourites, as are the following by Focus: Bonhoeffer: the Cost of Freedom; Amazing Grace (Olaudah Equiano, John Newton, William Wilberforce); C.S. Lewis at War; The Hiding Place; The Secret Garden; Les Misérables; A Christmas Carol; Oliver Twist; The Screwtape Letters (with Andy Serkis!); At Home in Mitford, etc, etc! Grin  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2023 9:16 am
Narnian78 liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

*dusts off thread* I come bearing two Perry Mason audiobooks as the first audiobooks I plan to listen to this year, they are The Case of the Stuttering Bishop and The Case of the Substitute Face. I picked them up last month when I went on a last minute book shopping trip to get a few more Christmas presents. I read two Perry Mason novels last year and I really enjoyed both of them, so I think I will enjoy the series as audiobooks too.

Last year I listened to 22 audiobooks, mostly westerns by Luke Short or Max Brand. My favorite audiobook of the year was probably The Nazarene by Michael Card, well written and read by the author. Thumbs up  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2024 12:26 pm
Ellesar
(@ellesar)
Member Hospitality Committee

Audiobooks have become my staple from the library lately, especially on days when I have to walk home from work. I think I have multiple copies of some of the same books in order to have all forms (print, ebook, and audiobook)  Giggle  

Audiodramas are great too, but I’ve found that if you get a really good reader, even audiobooks came bring the same depth as the dramas (minus the music and special effects) when they use different voices for the characters.

See the armies so arrayed,
Line on line, ten thousand strong.
See the Dragon King’s sharp blade,
Rising to a song!
See his enemies laid low!
Hear our voices sing:
Let glory crown the victor’s brow,
In the Hall of the Dragon King!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 1, 2024 5:47 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@ellesar 

I like audio dramas too.  Dr. Who and Focus on the Family are some of the best.  Audio readings of novels can be very good if an experienced actor with a good voice reads the book. The readings from the first four Narnia books by Ian Richardson, Claire Bloom, and Anthony Quayle are very good even though the stories are abridged. They were on vinyl records, although I think they may be available on CD.  It would be nice if they were the complete stories, but even with only parts of the books the readings are well the listening.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 1, 2024 6:06 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

I have heard about Dorothy Sayers' The Man Born to be King for years, but have not pursued it until now. I am finally on Audible, so chose this as my free audio drama. I am only in the first (of 14) plays, focusing on the wise men visiting Herod, then baby Jesus. I am impressed so far, that is for sure! (Herod is rightly creepy and terrifying.) The acting and sound effects are very good.

Having just finished a re-read of Justin Phillips' book, C.S. Lewis at the BBC, I noted he spends an entire chapter on this play of Sayers, which was broadcast on the BBC in the early 1940s, which piqued my interest again. Also, a women's group of which I am a part (from the Colson Center) is reading/listening through The Man Born to be King during Lent, but I am getting a head start. Giggle  

I will report more on this classic play as I go through the 14 cycles. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2024 3:06 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jo Wait. Audible has a production of The Man Born to be King?! I adore that radio series-well, the script for it anyway. The only full production I could listen to on YouTube was heavily abridged and not that great. I've got to listen to Audible's! Thanks for the tip.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2024 4:19 pm
johobbit liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @jo

I have heard about Dorothy Sayers' The Man Born to be King for years, but have not pursued it until now. I am finally on Audible, so chose this as my free audio drama. I am only in the first (of 14) plays, focusing on the wise men visiting Herod, then baby Jesus. I am impressed so far, that is for sure! (Herod is rightly creepy and terrifying.) The acting and sound effects are very good.

Oh wow — who produced it? I'm assuming they must have got permission from Sayers' estate, as I'm pretty sure her works are still under copyright... Just checked and she died in 1957, so that makes it another 3 years under UK law, at least. However, as you're in Canada, I'm guessing her copyright has already expired there.

I would really love to hear those plays performed as well — I read the scripts years ago and found them very moving, and was saddened to find out that the BBC had deleted all the original recordings and (at the time) they'd never been performed since then. Like Lewis's broadcasts that became the basis for Mere Christianity, Sayers' dramatisations of the Gospel story must have struck a chord with plenty of listeners during the war.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2024 9:54 pm
Col Klink liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Here is the link to the info, @Courtenay and @Col-Klink. It is a BBC production. I presume the copyright has expired in Canada. But a friend from the US (the leader of the reading group) told me about the play being on Audible, so I assume the US's copyright has expired too. This production was adapted and produced by Raymond Raikes, a well-known British radio drama producer.

Posted by: @courtenay

Like Lewis's broadcasts that became the basis for Mere Christianity, Sayers' dramatisations of the Gospel story must have struck a chord with plenty of listeners during the war.

Indeed! This play also brought out much contention, as many people objected the use of contemporary speech, and particularly the audacity of Jesus being played by a actual person (versus a ray of light or something symbolic). However, many others really appreciated what Sayers accomplished and wrote her telling her so. (As did the opposers.)

From Justin Phillips' book, C.S. Lewis was so enamoured with the play that he read the twelve cycles every year during Holy Week. Smile His chapter on Sayers and this controversial play is a fascinating read!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2024 6:03 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@jo The link didn't lead directly to it for me — I think because my computer is automatically set to go to Amazon's UK site, which is what it did. But when I did a search for "The Man Born to Be King", it did come up. In fact, it's published as a BBC Radio 4 Drama Collection — is that the version you have, starring Gabriel Woolf, John Westbrook and others? I'm guessing the BBC must still have some stake in the copyright (since they produced the original radio plays), and so this new version was done by them as well.

I don't have an Audible subscription, but I may have to consider it, with this available! Grin And yes, I do know about the controversies when these plays were first produced. Sayers alludes to some of them in her introduction to the published scripts, which I have somewhere. On top of the then-very-daring move of portraying Jesus as a character in a radio drama, there was the fact that we know he spoke with a noticeable regional accent — during Peter's denial, one of the questioners points out that he can tell Peter is a Galilean like "that man", because he speaks the same way — but for the BBC in the 1940s to give Jesus Christ a regional English accent would have been TOTALLY outré!! ROFL (In those days, of course, all BBC radio presenters talked extremely posh — Received Pronunciation, it's called — and were required to drop whatever regional accent they'd grown up with, so you can imagine the shock if they'd portrayed the Son of God Himself with, say, a Yorkshire or West Country accent, even though that would arguably be more appropriate... Giggle )

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2024 1:52 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

It is very rare for American radio stations to broadcast plays although a few months ago I heard Focus on the Family’s Narnia on the Moody station. I wonder if people here in the U.S. would even listen to anything else that was made into a radio play.  I kind of doubt it. But there is much audio material on Amazon if you are willing to pay for it. It’s kind of sad that only something with visual thrills appeals to most people today. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 26, 2024 3:36 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
Posted by: @courtenay

is that the version you have, starring Gabriel Woolf, John Westbrook and others?

Sorry for my tardiness in replying, Courtenay. Yes, indeed, this is the version on Audible. I am now on Cycle 10, "The Princes of this World"; there are twelve in total. I only have a few minor niggles with this radio drama of the life of Jesus, but by far to the positive, this portrayal is of excellence. It does not move fast, as does so much entertainment these days (sadly), and I really appreciate the care and development taken with this adaptation. Bravo, Dorothy Sayers!

The telling often brings vividly to mind today's well-known multi-season series on the life of Jesus, for, to me, The Man Born to Be King was the mid 1900's The Chosen of today. Showing the disciples as very human (which they were!) is one strong and good similarity.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2024 3:05 pm
Courtenay liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I finally listened to The Man Born to be King on Audible. (I decided to wait to do so until Holy Week.) There weren't many voice actors with whom I was familiar. (Only Miriam Margolyes and she was in a very minor role.) But they all did a great job. Well, I have mixed feelings about John Westbrook as the lead but mixed is not the same as bad and many of his line readings are great. And as I wrote before, I think the script by Dorothy Sayers is brilliant. It's easily the greatest dramatic retelling of the four gospels I've ever encountered. I do wish they didn't have to cut so much to make each episode 42 minutes. (See my post in the Books thread for more on this.) The crowd scenes lost a lot of depth. In the second episode, for example, Sayers emphasized that the crowd listening to John the Baptist be made up of three groups, each with a different reaction to his words. If Audible tried to do that, I couldn't hear it. Sayers also tried to make it clear how the crowd was convinced by the scribes and pharisees to ask for Barabas's release over Jesus's ("There's no nonsense about Barabas...He wouldn't tell you to pay tribute to Caesar! He doesn't hobnob with tax collectors!") and this production really doesn't. 

I think the music they used was from the original production because it sounds very old fashioned. It also sounds rather clamorous and heavy handed to my ears and I would have preferred they compose something new. Still, this is way better than having no production of The Man Born to be King at all.

If I have a caveat that has to do with the writing and not the production, it's that it's somewhat anti-Jewish. When condemning the people of Israel, John the Baptist calls them "a nation of shopkeepers and petty bureaucrats, their hearts fixed on cash and credit, and deaf and blind to righteousness," which arguably evokes historical negative stereotypes of Jewish people. The script also emphasizes that Judea was considered backwater and culturally unimpressive compared to Rome though I think there are dramatic and doctrinal reasons for emphasizing that. The gentile antagonists, like Herod the Great and Pontius Pilate, are portrayed as tragic villains while the Jewish antagonists, except for Judas Iscariot who also gets to be a tragic villain, are as slimy and unlikeable as possible. (I've got to give a shoutout to Heron Carvic as Caiaphas the high priest in the Audible version. He's awesome as the baddie you love to hate.) FWIW though, Sayers wrote that her model for the Jewish high priest in The Man Born to be King was "the ecclesiastical politician, appointed, like one of Hitler's bishops, by a heathen government expressly that he might collaborate with the New Order and see that the Church toed the line with the State" and her models for the synagogue elders were "to be found in every parish council-always highly respectable, often quarrelsome and sometimes in a crucifying mood." So while she may have brought certain prejudices, even racist ones, to those biblical figures, the main thing on her mind was criticizing (ostensible) Christians, not Jewish people. The character of Matthew is deliberately written as a negative Jewish stereotype since many of the stereotypes people had about Jewish people in Sayers's day were the same ones people had about tax collectors in Jesus's day. I'd argue that's anti-anti-Jewish since Matthew ends up being a very positive character, but the implication is still that those stereotypes are true. If not, Jesus befriending him would be less impressive. 

To end on a lighter note, a listener apparently wrote to Sayers criticizing her for having King Herod tell his courtiers to "keep their mouths shut" because "such coarse expressions were jarring on the lips of anyone so closely connected with our Lord." LOL  

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2024 9:42 am
Courtenay and coracle liked
Page 4 / 4
Share: