Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Thanksgiving 2022 - I'm Thankful For

SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

It's November, one of my favorite months which includes one of my favorite traditions.

Every year I start this thread the beginning of the month with my favorite Thanksgiving tradition and a prompt to the share what you are thankful. My family has a jar (or two or three) that we fill with candy and nuts with each piece being for a different person, place, or thing we were thankful for. We call it "thankful fors". In recent years we have written them down and filled a notebook with the people, places, and things we are thankful to God for. Some days we have a theme like a favorite meal, places we have been, people we know, books, items around the house, or two years ago we started drawing Scrabble tiles most days and did our "thankful fors" starting with the letter drawn. The Scrabble tile draws have made for some great ideas and some bad ones, but mainly it has brought additional laughter to our family time. Smile  So, out of all the traditions through out the whole year, I think this might be my very favorite...and I just realized we have done this for over 20 years. Grin  

For those in the US, Canada, and other countries that have an official Thanksgiving Day:

• Do you usually have a traditional Thanksgiving meal (for example in the US - turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc.)?
  • Do you have any favorite traditions or memories of Thanksgiving?

For all NarniaWebbers:

• What are you thankful for this year? 
Today I'm thankful for...
~God the Father
~my Lord and Savior, Jesus
~the Holy Spirit
~the Bible
~my family
~the Mod Squad Hug  
~All of the wonderful people here on NarniaWeb! Smile  
~laughter
~coffee
~books

That's just my starter list, more to come in future posts through out the month. Smile  
SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 1, 2022 3:52 pm
Courtenay liked
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

As I've mentioned many times, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I am greatly looking forward to it this year! It looks like a majority of my family members will make it to our Thanksgiving gathering this year, which hasn't been the case for a couple of years now. I still have a lot to do before then, though!

Some things I'm grateful for this year:

• A house in working order. I'm even getting better about keeping it (mostly) clean!
  • My family, and that they live close by
  • I've had a lot of opportunities this year to improve things. Mostly small opportunities (things like more free time, unexpected motivation, etc.), nothing huge, but I feel like I've grown a lot just in this past year, and I'm grateful.
  • Technology that allows me to keep up with my friends from around the world. I feel like I say this every year, but it just stays true!

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : November 3, 2022 11:13 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
I'm thankful for...
~sweaters
~wool socks
~cool weather
~mittens
~notebooks
~colored pens
~essential oils
~vitamin C
~chili 
~pumpkin desserts

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 12, 2022 8:42 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Now that Thanksgiving is upon us real soon, we might as well talk about our favorite Thanksgiving dish. I know we would typically say turkey or ham or mashed potatoes or stuffing or green beans.

I also like pumpkin pie or pumpkin cake roll and pecan pie. I also like gingerbread during the holiday season.

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : November 20, 2022 3:27 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

My family's tradition is having brisket, potatoes (mashed or scalloped), gravy, fruit jello, and a green veggie. Dessert is always pie, but the fillings vary.

Saturday I cooked the brisket, it's now back in the freezer until Wednesday. This way we don't have to deal with the extra broth or fat on Thanksgiving Day. Next up, toasting some oat flour to make a graham cracker crust for a no bake pumpkin pie.

I'm thankful for...
~Sundays
~church
~hymns
~prayers
~family time
~board games
~rest
~Skillet (the band)
~gift shopping
~Advent

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 21, 2022 10:55 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Is it cheating to say that my favorite Thanksgiving dish is the pie? Giggle It really is what I look forward to the most (food-wise). Specifically, I love triple berry pie the most, though I'll take a good lemon meringue pie too. Tongue  

Ignoring dessert... honestly, I'm not sure what my favorite dish is. Thanksgiving Dinner is kind of greater than the sum of its parts in my mind. I suppose I'll say the turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy. In my mind, everything else at the Thanksgiving table can be swapped out except for those.

Before the 2020's, I'd started a "Friendsgiving" tradition with some good friends - mostly as an excuse to have Thanksgiving twice. 😉 We've had a few "theme" years. For example, one year we all brought something that had to do with our heritage. This year, we kind of did a mash up of traditional Thanksgiving foods, and an Autumn Feast a la the gentle giants of Harfang. Naturally, though, there was no talking deer, and the "man-pies" were made of fruit. 😉

Posted : November 21, 2022 3:56 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

@rya, your "Friendsgiving" sounds like a lot of fun, love the themes. Smile  

I hope all had a great Thanksgiving Day. It was a fun busy day with family here, lots of food and games. We had a Sequence tournament which ended in a tie, pretty sure my team would have won if the other team would have played one more game. Wink  

Our meal was brisket, cheesy potatoes, gravy, green beans, fresh bread, and fruit jello. So good. My brothers and I have been perfecting our cheesy potato recipe, and it's just about perfect now....and this time I wrote down what we did so other family members can make it too. Grin  

We had sour cream raisin pie and no-bake butternut pie, not our usual flavors, but both were delicious. However I think we still need to make a berry pie and a chocolate pie. Smile So we might have some more pie in the near future. Giggle  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Topic starter Posted : November 26, 2022 10:17 am
fantasia liked
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Sounds like a fun day! 🙂 If only they'd played one more round.... 😉 

We had a pretty traditional Thanksgiving spread this year, and I feel like I was really restrained. I only went back for seconds, instead of thirds! 😉 I also got to see some of our extended family that I only really see once every three years, and it was really nice to reconnect with them. They're really into board games, as is my brother (and me to a lesser extent), so we spent plenty of time playing.

Another Thanksgiving tradition in our family for the last decade or so is Telephone Pictionary. Basically, everyone has a stack of paper - one piece for each player - and you write a prompt on the first page. You then pass the whole stack to the next person, who reads your prompt, puts your paper at the back, and tries to draw your prompt. Then the next person sees the picture (without the prompt) and has to guess what the picture is. So on it goes until it makes it back to the first player.

It's a lot of fun, and you can end up with some hilarious results! We had two rounds this year - one for the kids (ranging from about 4 to 11), then another one for the adults. I started with "The devil's walking-stick" (that's the name of a plant but I wanted to see the results 😉 ), and ended up with a dragon with an exploding trident. ROFL  

Posted : December 8, 2022 7:03 pm
Share: