Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Feature: C. S. Lewis's Non-Narnian Writings

Page 1 / 3
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

We all know C. S. Lewis wrote The Chronicles of Narnia. That's why NarniaWeb exists! =)) Well, what about his non-Narnian writings? Lewis wrote many other fictional works. He was also a medieval scholar, with a thirty-year teaching career at Oxford University. Lewis later became a Professor of Medieval and Renaissance English at Cambridge University. I had to read selections from The Discarded Image, Lewis's thoughts on the Renaissance, for a course on Renaissance poetry. :)

Below is a list of Lewis's more well-known works. Click here for a complete list.
1. Fiction: The Space Trilogy, The Pilgrim's Regress, The Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce, Till We Have Faces
2. Nonfiction: The Allegory of Love, The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature, The Abolition of Man, Mere Christianity, Surprised by Joy, A Grief Observed, The Problem of Pain, Miracles

So, what of Lewis's non-Narnian writings have you read? What did you like [or not like] and why? What do you own and just haven't read yet? Discuss away!

Topic starter Posted : January 12, 2010 7:36 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I have read "The Great Divorce" many times and I love it! it is both serious and funny and the plot is right to the point! an ecellent read, I must say!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : January 12, 2010 8:30 am
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

Nice thread, 220!

Admittedly the only CS Lewis I've read outside of the Chronicles of Narnia are Mere Christianity and the first book of the Space Trilogy. The latter was many, many years ago, and I lost the set somewhere during a move. Out of the Silent Planet was a decent book but it never struck a chord with me very well...and I don't mean to upset any fans of the book here because I know there's plenty of em'.

My favorite Lewis quote of all time comes from Mere Christianity and its one I carry around in my head to this day.

Enemy-occupied territory-----that is what this world is. Christianity is the story of how the rightful king has landed, you might say landed in disguise, and is calling us all to take part in a great campaign in sabotage.

I always loved how Lewis was able to put sometimes complex ideas (which are rife in theology especially) into layman's terms for non-experts like myself, and the above quote puts Christ's first arrival in a new light and in such a way as people may have never thought of it that way before :) . I can't help but think that perhaps this very idea might have been one of the underpinnings of the Narnia stories when he supposed Aslan as Christ in the Narnian universe. :D

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : January 12, 2010 8:42 am
Aravis Narnia
(@aravis-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

I have listened to 4 of his non-fiction works on audiobook:

- Mere Christianity
- The Problem of Pain
- The Great Divorce
- The Screwtape Letters

I liked all of them- even if I may not have agreed with some things (that we humans cannot exactly prove one way or the other anyway). I am glad I listened to them- in The Screwtape Letters a character has a Scottish accent, and the person who read this part did a fantastic job of rolling the R's and portraying the other Scottish accent traits.

Posted : January 12, 2010 9:22 am
narnian1
(@narnian1)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have several of his books,
but I have only read, aside of Narnia of course, Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters.

Both are amazing reads, I absolutely loved MC though. Terrific in alot of ways.

Posted : January 12, 2010 12:04 pm
Heroine of Chivalry
(@heroine-of-chivalry)
NarniaWeb Nut

Other than Narnia, I've read:

The Screwtape Letters (I love that one, it got me on so many points and is so fascinating.)
Till We Have Faces (I think I read it when I was too young, so I was put off by some content and didn't fully appreciate the rest.)
The Great Divorce (Also read when I was young, it was a struggle to understand but I really liked it.)
Letters to Children (I read this multiple times in the week we had it from the library and it really made me wish I could have written to C.S.Lewis as a child.)
Surprised by Joy (I found it somewhat boring at parts but really enjoyed reading about Lewis's life from his perspective and learned a lot.)
Letters to an American Lady (I loved this book! It also included a few letters from Joy Gresham, which was a nice treat.)

I'm in the middle of reading Mere Christianity for the first time and am greatly enjoying it. I especially appreciated what Lewis said about Pride, Christian Love and Hope.

I left Narniaweb for inexplicable reasons in the beginning of June 2010 and probably will not be returning (much as I love this place). So if you're wondering why I disappeared, now you know! (sort of...)

Posted : January 12, 2010 1:07 pm
greenleaf23
(@greenleaf23)
NarniaWeb Nut

I always loved how Lewis was able to put sometimes complex ideas (which are rife in theology especially) into layman's terms for non-experts like myself, and the above quote puts Christ's first arrival in a new light and in such a way as people may have never thought of it that way before :) .

That's one thing I loved both about Tolkien and Lewis. A lot of their amazing deep thoughts go right over my head, but they can explain some of them in such a way that you "get it". I don't know, it's hard to explain, but it's really great.

I've only read Out of the Silent Planet, and am in the middle of Perelandra. I really liked OotSP, especially the hross's (I'm pretty sure that's how it was spelled) It was a great book, not really one I tore through to know what happened, but more savored because of all the amazing quotes and thoughts.

And Perelandra...it's good (well, I understood the beginning, and that was good) but very very deep, and, well, right now I'm just confused :p

Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!

Posted : January 12, 2010 2:59 pm
Glenstorm the Great
(@glenstorm-the-great)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I'm ashamed to say I've only read Mere Christianity besides the Narnia series...I must read more. On my list is Till We Have Faces, The Great Divorce, Suprise by Joy, The Four Loves, The Pilgrim's Regress, The Screwtape Letters, and all the rest of his books, but those ones are at the top of my list :)

Posted : January 12, 2010 3:04 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Hurray!
I've read:
Till We Have Faces Superb in every way. I read it after studying Cupid and Psyche in Latin class so I already knew the tale behind it.
Out of the Silent Planet, Perlandra, and That Hideous Strength THS was my favorite of the three.
The Screwtape Letters It was fascinating.
Letters to Children I really liked this one, especially the letters where he writes to the children a lot.
The Great Divorce
And half of Pilgrim's Regress it was too deep for me. It was even harder to read than Silmarillion.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : January 12, 2010 3:39 pm
sweeetlilgurlie
(@sweeetlilgurlie)
NarniaWeb Guru

I had to read the Space Trilogy Books twice to understand them. Lewis puts alot of complex ideas into not-so-much space. Or maybe it's just that they're complex and I'm a fast reader, so I skidded past the ideas the first time around. Hmm. I don't know.

My favorite non-fiction was Surprised By Joy, but I suppose that's a bit ridiculous to say because I've read only that book of his non-fiction. :p

I read Till We Have Faces and was confused, and also disliked the ending. I didn't really like that book in general. Maybe if I read it again I'll see it differently, but I don't know. The Screwtape Letters was an obligatory read for me for school, and I liked it very much. It was very interesting to read the advice of Screwtape to Wormwood and then think of how the different sins he encouraged are present in my life. So weird.

I've never heard of The Pilgrim's Regress. Hmm.

"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."

Posted : January 13, 2010 5:52 am
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I started to read The Pilgrim's Regress, but I never finished it.....I will have to get back to it! :)

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : January 13, 2010 9:02 am
Avra
 Avra
(@avra)
NarniaWeb Nut

The Space Trilogy--especially That Hideous Strength--rank highly among my favotite books of all time.

Sheldon: A neutron walks into a bar and asks how much for a drink. The bartender replies "for you, no charge".

Proud sister of an Aspie (Aspergers)
Hannah's Scribblings

Posted : January 13, 2010 9:44 am
further up and further in
(@further-up-and-further-in)
NarniaWeb Regular

I want to encourage everyone on here to read as many C.S. Lewis books as you can in your lifetime! I've read pretty much all of them (but then I'm older than most of you ;) ), including his complete letters (now that is a bit extreme, but was fascinating), and I have been blown away by his wisdom and insights. Mere Christianity is the absolute classic, and Narnia fans will recognize some of the thought processes and ideas in that book that he also uses in the Narnia stories. That's really true about all of his non-fiction work. And he really is clear and down-to-earth in his writing style.

If you want to branch off of Narnia, maybe start with his other fiction: Screwtape, Great Divorce, and the Space Trilogy. Til We Have Faces is something entirely different; it is set in ancient Greece, but it is also pretty cool. Pilgrim's Regress is PRETTY DEEP; you're better off reading his autobiography Surprised by Joy before you read that. It's full of references to early 20th century thought and literature that is not all that recognizable today. But don't shy away from his non-fiction: Problem of Pain, Abolition of Man (you'll recognize Jill and Eustace's school in this one), Reflection on the Psalms, and Miracles are all great. You can't go wrong anywhere! (Except some of his early poetry--he was pretty bitter back then, and very mad at the God that he said he didn't believe in!)

It was only the beginning of the true story, which goes on forever, and in which every chapter is better than the one before.

Posted : January 14, 2010 8:30 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

What non-Narnian Lewis writings have I read?

NON-FICTION
Mere Christianity, which I loved for all the reasons Shadowlander and greenleaf23 gave ;)

Surprised by Joy, an excellent autobiography :)

A Grief Observed ... which I found very sad and poignant :(

I mentioned earlier that I'd read parts of A Discarded Image, but I'm thinking now it was English Renaissance in the Sixteenth Century, Excluding Drama. Lewis's thoughts on Spenser and Marlowe were certainly interesting. :)

For my diss, I read Lewis's essay "Kipling's World," which appeared in his collection They Asked for a Paper (1963). Here are some of his thoughts on Rudyard Kipling. "He is eminently a moralist; in almost every story we are invited, nay forced, to admire and condemn. ... He has a reverent Pagan agnosticism about all ultimates." Lewis says Kipling also has pagan tolerance "extend[ing] even to Christianity, whose phraseology he freely uses for rhetorical effect." What Lewis is most known for in Kipling criticism is calling him "first and foremost the poet of work." But Kipling can’t reassure readers "that the work is really worthy of all the human sacrifices it demands." Lewis accuses Kipling in his work that "to belong, to be inside, to be in the know, to be snugly together against the outsiders – that is what really matters; it is almost an accident who are cast for the role of outsiders." What are those "inside" groups Kipling likes? Mithraism and Freemasonry. /:) [Source: "Kipling’s World." They Asked for a Paper. London, 1963. Rpt. in Kipling and the Critics. Ed. Elliot L. Gilbert. New York: New York UP, 1965. 99-117. 102, 109, 111, 114, 116.]

I discovered yesterday that a literary critic considered Aslan's sacrifice in LWW Mithraism rather than Christianity. And one thing Kipling referred to in many of his stories, and seemed to admire, was Mithraism. :- I think we all know by now that Lewis borrowed "Pevensie" [orig. "Pevensey"] and "Son of Adam / Daughter of Eve" in Kipling's Puck of Pook's Hill. :)

Has anyone read The Abolition of Man? Someone told me it was a strange book, but I've heard it's Lewis's thoughts on modern British education. I'd really like to read it. :)

FICTION: just The Screwtape Letters, which confused me about what the devil really thinks of Christians and his ways of deceiving them, since he's a liar. ;) Any suggestions for what other fiction I should read? :)

Topic starter Posted : January 14, 2010 8:53 am
Tawariell
(@tawariell)
NarniaWeb Regular

Other than CoN, I have read all of Lewis's Space Trilogy, of which my favorite is Perelandra because of its wonderful retelling of the , followed by Out of the Silent Planet then Hideous Strength (which is currently being loaned out).

220chrisTian: I recommend all three books of the Space Trilogy.

I own The Screwtape Letters but only read half of them in order to help me with an article about temptation. I also own The Four Loves, but have not been able to read it yet.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
avatar by lilsis_lucy; signature by Erucenindë

Posted : January 14, 2010 2:10 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: