Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] NaNoWriMo 2009 - It's OVER!!!

Page 1 / 33
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

NaNoWriMo.org
Hello everyone, and welcome to the 2009 NaNoWriMo thread! I know it's barely October, but most people spend this month planning for November, and it's also a good time to introduce people to NaNo and get them hooked into writing this year. :D

For those of you who are new to this, NaNoWriMo stands for National November Writing Month, and you can view the website here. Started in 1999, NaNoWriMo is a yearly event to challenge writers to write a novel of 50,000 words or more during the month of November. It's free to join, the rules are very basic (all word counted must be written in November, it must be a novel, etc.), and it's something that hundreds of thousands of writers across the globe participate in.

Last year was my first year doing NaNo, and it was a BLAST. It was my first novel ever, and it was really a "make it or break it" time for me, as I wanted to know if I was actually capable of writing a full-length novel or not. Well, I was, and I owe a huge part of that to all the encouragement and excitement at the NaNo site, and likewise all the encouragement and help from participating Narniawebbers. :)

I'm back this year with a new story and new challenges, and I can't WAIT for NaNo to start. For those of you who are back for another go at this, welcome back and it's going to be a blast. :D For the newbies here, don't be intimidated! NaNo is so much fun and with a little work and a LOT of encouragement and coffee, you'll be churning out words in no time. It's hard to describe what the whole NaNo experience is like, only that it's...unique. And not to be missed. :D

To get this thread started, why don't we all post about our past NaNo experiences (if any), and talk about our plans for this year!

Start your planning, because November 1st will be here before you know it! :D LET'S DO THIS THING!!!!! :D/

Spareoom.net

Topic starter Posted : October 3, 2009 7:36 am
sweeetlilgurlie
(@sweeetlilgurlie)
NarniaWeb Guru

HURRAY! Woot-woot for NaNo-WriMo '09!

Last year was my first year doing NaNo and my first time ever completing a novel. :D It was incredible how much support I had from people here online! Talking to fellow NaNo-ers on YM and doing word wars was great. Things like that made me feel better about doing NaNo and helped remind me that I wasn't going crazy alone. :p

My novel idea is titled (at present) "It Happens to All of Us". I'm writing the story because I've always wanted to read a story like my idea, and as I've never come across one, I'm going to write it! B-)

Last year I wrote a science fiction novel called Legends. It's still being edited. And speaking of editing, one of the funnest parts about NaNo (and one of the things that makes it NaNo!) is that you don't edit. Seriously, you're not supposed to. Cranking out 50,000 words goes much faster when you don't analyze every sentence.

So don't worry if your novel starts going places you didn't intend it to go or seems like trash! It can be cleaned up later. The sense of achievement on completing the novel is just AWESOME. Do NaNo this year if you're considering it! It's an awesome experience for sure.

"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."

Posted : October 3, 2009 7:50 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Yay! I'm really excited to do NaNoWriMo this year - it's going to be my first time doing it, so I hope I'll do good and not back out of it! I've just started enjoying writing, and my writing is finally something I'm not embarassed about, so this should really help me more.Oh, also, I think I'll share- on the site, my username is InkRain. :)

I haven't yet decided on what I'm going to write about. I first had in mind to write a book of poems with different subjects the poems would be about, but I'm really unsure if that would be counted as a novel or not, and if I would be able to write 50k words of poetry. It's still an option I'm considering, though.

However, I started writing something; it's becoming really flexible, and I think I could do what I want to with it and reach 50k. But, I've started it already, so I don't know if I'll be allowed to enter it! Would it be acceptable if I didn't enter what I've already written in the 50k words for it, but just moved to a different chapter, counting that as the beginning of the 50,000? If not, then I'd better start thinking of stuff to write on!

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : October 3, 2009 8:29 am
ForeverFan
(@foreverfan)
NarniaWeb Guru

I was wondering when this thread would return. ;)

I did NaNo last year, and it looks very strongly like I'm going to be doing it again this year. My tentative title is The League of Endmakers, and I'm still working out some of the plot and whatnot. It will be historical fantasy. :)

I must say I had a good time doing NaNo last year with all the NWebbers here, and hopefully we can have some more Word Wars, the one I participated in last year was quite a bit of fun. :)

@ Bella: I've added you as my writing buddy, if that's alright. I'm break_of_day over there, just so you know. :)

Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)

Posted : October 3, 2009 8:31 am
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

However, I started writing something; it's becoming really flexible, and I think I could do what I want to with it and reach 50k. But, I've started it already, so I don't know if I'll be allowed to enter it! Would it be acceptable if I didn't enter what I've already written in the 50k words for it, but just moved to a different chapter, counting that as the beginning of the 50,000? If not, then I'd better start thinking of stuff to write on!

Well, the goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a complete novel in a month, with the 50k minimum tacked on to make things level and fair. Technically, I don't think picking up a novel from the middle and just not counting the front half qualifies, but I would double-check the official site just to be sure. :) You could always just re-write what you've already written, and count that.

Spareoom.net

Topic starter Posted : October 3, 2009 8:57 am
hyaline12
(@hyaline12)
NarniaWeb Nut

Oh boy! I was waiting for this thread to pop up!

I've been pining for NaNoWriMo to start since my brothers went back to school. Last year was my first year, and although I handed a lot of Social Studies homework in late because of it, I'm really glad I did it. This year, I'm hoping to write a bit more than I did last year, seeing as I won't have 3 core courses to worry about, plus I'm currently unemployed. ;) (And if anyone wants to know, my username is appt613.)

To everyone who's thinking of doing it, but are not sure, I encourage you to try it. Not only is the NaNo site itself great, but all the NarniaWebbers are super-encouraging as well.

My LJ!

Posted : October 3, 2009 9:25 am
Alyosha
(@alyosha)
NarniaWeb Nut

I was just thinking about starting a thread for this yesterday... :P I am loving reading about everyone else's stories!

This will be my third year. The only reason I do it is because so many other people do and it would be sad to miss out on the madness. I don't really like pounding out 1667 words every day and I've hated both my novels so far and didn't bother editing them. But I still love NaNo... Yeah. :P Looking forward to it (and hoping for better luck this time).

Actually I'm going to be a rebel and finish a story I started forever ago, set in the Blitz--working title is Day of Ashes. That probably won't last all the way through November, so I'm still thinking about what to do afterward. Definitely historical fiction and probably WWII-related; I keep thinking I'm finished with WWII but I cannot escape. Not that I mind. ;)

And yes, you aren't supposed to have anything written before Nov. 1:

Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1? Can I use an outline?

Yes.

This sounds like a dumb, arbitrary rule, we know. But bringing a half-finished manuscript into NaNoWriMo all but guarantees a miserable month. You'll care about the characters and story too much to write with the gleeful, anything-goes approach that makes NaNoWriMo such a creative rush. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and you'll tap into realms of imagination and intuition that are out-of-reach when working on pre-existing manuscripts.

Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.

I tried the "gleeful, anything goes" approach for two years and it didn't work for me, so I'll cheerfully take the death sentence instead. :D

signature by Starsy

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:18 am
Draugrín
(@draugrin)
NarniaWeb Regular

This will be my first year doing NaNo! I've had friends who have done it, and they all had a great time with it.

I have a two part story I've been working on for ages. I'm done with part one, but part two is still just an outline, so I'll be using NaNo to get part two done. I'm excited!

"I didn't ask you what man says about God. I asked if you believe in God."

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:19 am
Ellesar
(@ellesar)
Member Hospitality Committee

this'll be my third year doing NaNo and I hope that I'll actually be able to complete it this time. ;)) my mind is already jumping ahead of things and started writing it last night... luckily I remembered to jot down a few notes so I wouldn't forget it :P

See the armies so arrayed,
Line on line, ten thousand strong.
See the Dragon King’s sharp blade,
Rising to a song!
See his enemies laid low!
Hear our voices sing:
Let glory crown the victor’s brow,
In the Hall of the Dragon King!

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:25 am
Fourmoons
(@fourmoons)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I've done Nanowrimo twice before, and plan to do it again this year. I'm just hoping that I can write something that makes a little more sense this time. My last couple of novels got very random when I couldn't think of more to write, and will take total rewrites if I actually want to make proper stories out of them. (I've been putting it off. ) This time around, I need to do at least a little bit of planing ahead of time.
I think I've settled on an idea to write, but I haven't come up with a name for it yet.

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:45 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

AitB: Cool idea for the poetry book! I couldn't do that, but if you can, that's awesome!

Last year was my first year doing Nano. I ended up finishing, but my book was terrible and I hated my plot. I had fun doing it though. I'm a slow writer and I just barely finished and definitely spent some time sneaking away from family festivities during the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm not sure if I'll do it this year or not. I had a lot of free time that I don't have this year. If I have an idea I'm excited about then I think I'll go for it.

I was considering doing a "Letter Game" nano with a partner and writing a novel via correspondence and trying to reach 50000 words together (even though I know that doesn't technically fulfill the rules), but I don't think it would work with the time it takes for mail.

I have a question: my nano history doesn't list that I won in 2008. Does anyone else have that problem?

my nano username is Silversea, so feel free to add me.

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:49 am
Aslanisthebest
(@aslanisthebest)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Well, the goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a complete novel in a month, with the 50k minimum tacked on to make things level and fair. Technically, I don't think picking up a novel from the middle and just not counting the front half qualifies, but I would double-check the official site just to be sure. :) You could always just re-write what you've already written, and count that.

Mm, I understand. Thanks for that, I'll go and check the rules.
But, if I rewrite what I've already written and count wouldn't that be starting it before November? Anyhow, I'll go check and see what the site has to say about it. :)

Hm, well, there might be a chance of me getting this story in because mostly what I've written is the plan for the story, in a way. I'll go take a look at the rules and details and stuff. EDIT: Okay, apparently, it says that a half written manuscript isn't allowed. Technically, it isn't half written since what I've written is an introduction to the story... Might that be allowed? I'm just going to start putting down ideas, just incase it isn't. ;))

Thanks for adding me on there, Fanny! :)

Edit:

AitB: Cool idea for the poetry book! I couldn't do that, but if you can, that's awesome!

Thank-you! I think it's a possibility that I'll take on the poetry book and write stories in poetry, if the story I planned won't qualify. :)

Mar In Narnia: Thanks! I'll go add you and Kate right away. =]

RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:53 am
Mar In Narnia
(@mar-in-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

Woo, NaNo!! This will be my second year doing NaNo and I can't wait for it to start :D It was SO much fun, and the feeling of having completed a novel was priceless, so, as many posters above me, I recomend it to those who haven't decide yet if they are going to participate or not. I didn't do Word Wars last year, so that's one thing that I'm looking forward to do this year of NaNo!

I have some ideas for my story -not yet a title-, but I'm trying to organize them a little bit and put them on paper since they are making a big mess in my head, at the same time I'm fighting with my hand that wants to start writing right away :))

Aslanisthebest: I'll add you as a buddy, if that's alright by you! My NaNo username is mar.in.wonderland and if anyone wants to add me, feel free to do it!

EDIT:

Kate: I have the same problem with my NaNo history, I don't know why it doesn't show, because I've seen that some people's history appears incluiding 2008.

Thanks to malkah for the lovely avatar!

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:57 am
SmileySmackdown
(@smileysmackdown)
NarniaWeb Regular

This sounds like a lot of fun!! :D I've always wanted to write a novel, but I've never actually tried before.

"When the world around you crumbles, He will be strong."
Georgie Henley+ Long hair= Wonderful! :)

Posted : October 3, 2009 10:58 am
-eliza-
(@eliza)
NarniaWeb Regular

I'll be doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this year and I'm ready excited about it. I already thought up a story. It's a story about one of the main characters of my book. A biography of him. He's 40 in my book and the novel I'll be writing for NaNoWriMo is the story of is youth etc.
I don't know how I'll do at school etc., because I have an extra subject so I have 13 instead of 12 subjects, but I'll see (my extra subject is German XD Now I have all languages given at my school (A))
I'll post up what my thoughts are!

Posted : October 3, 2009 11:09 am
Page 1 / 33
Share: