Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] NaNoWriMo '13 - It's here!!!

Page 2 / 9
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

My current pet plot bunny involves a sort of coming-of-age story about a teenage girl and her dysfunctional family who summer at a broken-down, little-known lake resort. . . and discover that it is riddled with unexplained paranormal phenomena. Dun dun dunnn. ;) I've written quite a bit in the spooky/mystery genre before, but I've never really written a coming-of-age novel, so it could be a good hybrid of familiarity and challenge.

Yes.

Yes. :D

This sounds amazing. I must read it. B-) Right now. O.O

... Or after NaNo is over.

If y'all have any suggestions or thoughts, I'm open to them!

Welllll... Not sure what kinda suggestions you're looking for. But. If it's suggestions as to how to make it through the month, maybe it would help both of us if we wrote together? As you can see from my track record, I have a habit of giving up far too soon, so I was thinking writing with friends (especially my Quads) would help keep me on track. Maybe it would help you too? We could have little mini write-a-thons together. :3

~Riella =:)

Posted : October 11, 2013 3:45 pm
Melian_Maia
(@melian_maia)
NarniaWeb Junkie

There are probably quite a few aspects on which I've got to think- such as how to do the action scenes, or, if this makes any sense, the big scene where the normal human being becomes superhero. I've seen it, of course, in various films, but I'm wondering if such moments are better shown than described in writing. :-? If you know what I mean.

That was the hardest part for me. I didn't want it to come off too cliche or overly Steve Rodgers. I still haven't completed the scene because I got so stumped. :P So yes, I totally get what you mean. ;))

Melian_Maia : Your novel sounds really interesting. Has it been long in the making or just a random idea that floated into your head?

It's been a very long time in the making. It's sort of a fusion between two ideas I've had, but never known how to write. It's fallen together rather well, and I'm pretty excited to jump into the story. :)

(1) Um...I try to be a plotter, however I usually forget about my outline on the second day.

Did you mean: my life? That is exactly me, every single year. I have an outline and a plot and by day two my characters are rebelling and I have to write something entirely different. :P

Mountie: Write about Beau. Problem solved. ;) ;))

Wild: That sounds fascinating! And like something Mim would love to read. Best of luck in the coming month. You can totally do it. :)

Rosie Posie Pudding Pie: First of all, I apologise for using your much hated nickname, but I'm so happy to see you on NW again that I couldn't resist. ;)) I do hope that you'll join us. It's always fun to word war with you. :)

Well, I think I'm done plotting. All that I have left to do is name secondary characters and decide where I want to start writing from. November can't come quick enough. ;) :P

Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie!Secret Order of the Swoosh

Topic starter Posted : October 11, 2013 5:17 pm
MoonlightDancer
(@moonlightdancer)
NarniaWeb Nut

I might be writing a sequel to my NanO from two years ago but that means I have this month to finish my last one. :p Also I've had 2 busy years of planning it in my head an no actual time to sit down and write. :p It would be so awesome to just get it out on paper because its been burning inside me for so long. :p

Forever a proud Belieber

Live life with the ultimate joy and freedom.

Posted : October 12, 2013 3:16 am
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I will be doing NaNo this year. This is my ... fourth year participating (not in a row; I wrote and won in 2006, and tried and failed both in 2008 and 2011 because college and grad school took up so much time I couldn't write that much in November). I've also participated in but not won Camp NaNo once (this summer). I'll answer the questions and then talk about my novel.

1. I am a plot by the seat of my pantser. That is, I tend to plot AND write as it comes. This tends to get me to the end of a draft, but makes for lots of editing afterwards. I'm going to be plotting a lot more for NaNo this year, Not only since I am writing a sequel, but also because I know having a plan will help me get through the month more easily.

2. I don't tend to have anything to eat or drink on hand when I write, unless it's some water.

3. My top tips: if you're on a roll and don't have other responsibilities, write until you've run out of stuff to write. Then start planning what you need to get done the next time you write. This way, you take advantage of inspiration and help to fight writer's block. Also, carry a pen and notebook with you everywhere, whether it's NaNo or not. That way you always have a way to write down those ideas and scenes when they come to you.

My novel this year will be a sequel to the novel I've been editing this year. I'm still working on the second draft of the first one, but since I've got a detailed outline for it, I don't feel too bad about writing a first draft of the second book. I also plan on making a very detailed outline of the second book (today, in fact) so I can have the major moves and characters set to go when Nov. 1 rolls around. The books are centered on a young wizard named Merlin, a descendant of the Merlin of Arthurian legend, and his friends, both mortal and wizard. The books follow their adventures dealing with Merlin's ancestry, the interplay of Magic and mortal worlds, and the general sort of stuff you deal with in high school (because everyone inadvertently becomes a Djinni's master, right?). Book 2 opens with Merlin and his friends recovering from their first year in high school and the revelations that came at the end of that year. Into this mix comes Garfield Roth, an old friend of Merlin's from across the country, whose father is now teaching at the school Merlin attends. There is something strange about Gar's arrival that Merlin's friends can't quite figure out. Meanwhile, monks from a secret Order are being hunted down by dark golem assassins and the mysterious girl who has appeared to Merlin in visions calls for his help. What do all of these have to do with each other? It's up to Merlin, Harry, Bryn, Mortimer, and the rest of the gang to find out.

ETA: If you wish to add me as a writing buddy, I'm shastastwin on the NaNoWriMo site as well.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

Posted : October 12, 2013 5:15 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The leaves are changing colors; can NaNo be far behind? :)

This will be my fifth year participating, though I did not win all of the previous years. Until just a few days ago I really wasn't too excited and didn't have much in the way of a possible storyline. But while out on a walk an idea came to me...try to expand a short story I wrote a long time ago into a 50k-word version. It'll give me more room to explore character development and the like.

I'm writing buddies with many of our participants already, but if not feel free to add me. I'm mnstargazer there.

1. I think I'm like shastastwin. I tend to have a beginning and an end point in mind when I start, and plot out those details, but the journey there can sometimes be by the seat of the pants. It varies from year to year, however; sometimes I have a lot more plot outlining done than other times.

2. Treats to write by? Mountain Dew. And chocolate. Lots of chocolate. ;))

3. Tips? Again I'll echo shastastwin. If the inspiration strikes, write until it's gone. And carry around a notebook for those times when the muse strikes and you're away from your desk. Oftentimes I'll get inspiration while camping or hiking out in the park, or while driving.

Consider skipping ahead if you get writer's block. At times I'll be stuck at some point but have an idea for a future bit of the story. I just put a place holder there and move ahead and write while the iron's hot, to borrow an old cliché.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : October 12, 2013 7:23 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

This sounds amazing. I must read it. B-) Right now. O.O

... Or after NaNo is over.

Okay, on two conditions. :P

1. I reserve the right for it to be pathetic and lame. ;))
2. You have to share your NaNo with me. :P

Welllll... Not sure what kinda suggestions you're looking for. But. If it's suggestions as to how to make it through the month, maybe it would help both of us if we wrote together? As you can see from my track record, I have a habit of giving up far too soon, so I was thinking writing with friends (especially my Quads) would help keep me on track. Maybe it would help you too? We could have little mini write-a-thons together. :3

That could be good. :D I also think that making a pact to trade NaNos could be helpful—historically, it always seems like I'm a more productive writer when I'm writing for others instead of just sitting on a story for years.

The Great December 1st Swap-a-thon. That sounds cool. B-)

Only potentially bad thing about doing write-a-thons with me, though, is that I'm currently thinking about only writing on the weekends. :-o

This may seem like the worst idea in the world, but aside from it probably being necessary thanks to demands on my time, I think it actually might work better for me, given my writing patterns in the past. Writing ten thousand in a day and exhausting myself creatively, then taking a break to unwind/think and starting back up again a few days later, is actually the way I tend to write in an "organic" setting. It'll be interesting to see if it improves my productivity at all, counterintuitive though it may seem. ;))

I really want to write a story with a beginning, middle and end, and since I don't think I can fit that into 50k, I'm hoping to write 20k each weekend. We'll see how this goes. /:)

Rosie Posie Pudding Pie: First of all, I apologise for using your much hated nickname, but I'm so happy to see you on NW again that I couldn't resist. ;)) I do hope that you'll join us. It's always fun to word war with you. :)

Thank you; it is good to be here. And I will let it slide this one time. :P ;))

Oh yes, and questions! I forgot to answer those in my first post.

Are you doing it? Ask me again in two and a half weeks. ;))

Are you a plotter or a pantser? I've tried both ways and failed epically each time. :P This year, I'm sort of doing both, except I feel like I'm cheating a bit because I'm writing in a genre that I'm really comfortable with.

Favourite writing snack and drink? Spice tea sweetened with stevia, toasted coconut chips, raisins and really dark chocolate. And COFFEE. I've stopped drinking that lately but I think I'll have to start up again. ;))

Top tips for getting to 50k? Write, write, write, even if you hate what you are coming up with. ;)) You can always edit in December! Or salvage the 10% that's good and scrap the rest and start over. :P

NaNo username? Rosabel, although I haven't updated my profile yet.

Posted : October 12, 2013 8:32 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Okay, on two conditions. :P

1. I reserve the right for it to be pathetic and lame. ;))
2. You have to share your NaNo with me. :P

1. Of course. In fact, if your novel wasn't pathetic and lame at least 63% of the time, it would be a proof that you hadn't written it during NaNo. Ever hear of the term "NaNoism"? Or more importantly, have you ever read the 17K I wrote in 2011? I tell you, that NaNo draft was so bad, it was a masterpiece. There was even a character in it who named himself "Persimmon" even though I had named him something else. :P

2. Was already planning on it, darling. B-)

The Elf-Gift has probably the coolest backstory of any novel ever.

Why thank you. The elves thank you too.

Only potentially bad thing about doing write-a-thons with me, though, is that I'm currently thinking about only writing on the weekends. :-o

That's okay. You can be my special weekend treat. I have about three other people (I bet you can't guess who they are. ;) ) who are hoping to team up with me too, and they would most likely be on during the week. So don't feel pressured at all to come on when you're really busy with other things.

This may seem like the worst idea in the world, but aside from it probably being necessary thanks to demands on my time, I think it actually might work better for me, given my writing patterns in the past. Writing ten thousand in a day and exhausting myself creatively, then taking a break to unwind/think and starting back up again a few days later, is actually the way I tend to write in an "organic" setting. It'll be interesting to see if it improves my productivity at all, counterintuitive though it may seem. ;))

This actually sounds like a good plan to me. If I end up getting stressed out by the tedious daily grind, I might try it myself. :D

Posted : October 12, 2013 8:47 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

If I do join the party you'll have a fellow Pantser!

Oh, hooray! :D I hope you do, because I really want to read your story. ;;)

...carry a pen and notebook with you everywhere

For the past couple of years I've had a notebook dedicated to NaNo. One year I wrote large chunks by hand first. I'm thinking I may end up doing that again this year.

The backstory for my idea is that I read a book this summer with a neat premise: civilization reverts to the Dark Ages but there are no Christians per say until the hero and heroine come across an old book and start reading it. However, I spent most of the book going, "But... I'd do x,y, and z differently!" :p So I am, and it looks like I might be doing a, b, and c differently as well. ;)) I'm still working on a decent summary...

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : October 13, 2013 11:07 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I have a question/discussion topic for the NaNoWriMoNarWebCom.

(National Novel Writing Month NarniaWeb Community. :P)

How do you guys feel about the challenge to actually start and finish a novel in November? Is it okay to just write a bunch of words and leave the story unfinished, or is it important to be able to write "The End"? Do you feel like the desire to write a finishable story in one month would impact what kind of novel you are able to write?

Obviously, I've never been able to achieve this before, but I'd really love to write an entire novel if I participate this time around. Being able to write "The End" will make it even more challenging, though, because I just don't think I can squeeze a full novel into fifty thousand words—not the kind of novel I'd like to write, anyway. I've been rereading The Hunger Games series recently, and have been struck by how quickly I've breezed through the trilogy. Each of the books hovers right around 100k words. I think I'll have to end up writing at least that much if I hope to write a completed story.

That, paired with writing only on weekends... November could be an interesting month for me. ;))

Anyway, thoughts?

Posted : October 13, 2013 12:40 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

NaNoWriMoNarWebCom.

(National Novel Writing Month NarniaWeb Community. :P)

Love it. ;)

How do you guys feel about the challenge to actually start and finish a novel in November? Is it okay to just write a bunch of words and leave the story unfinished, or is it important to be able to write "The End"? Do you feel like the desire to write a finishable story in one month would impact what kind of novel you are able to write?

That's what I try to do. I basically set two goals for myself - firstly, to finish a novel in a month. Secondly (as a sort of "consolation prize" if my first goal doesn't work out) to write 50K in a month. When I outline a novel, whether I have NaNo in mind or not, I usually end up with 30-40 chapters. So that works out well. Problem is, my chapters are usually about 6K each. So that's a lot to write each day.

Each of the books hovers right around 100k words. I think I'll have to end up writing at least that much if I hope to write a completed story.

Same. And it's been a concern of mine for awhile. Especially because I've heard that publishers won't accept manuscripts that are over 50K, if you're a first time novelist. And even after you've had some books published, publishers still might not let you go very much over that. You have to be pretty famous, I guess, to write a long novel. And that's bad news for people like me, since my books range in the 180K - 250K range. You can't take a book that long and cut it down to 50K without taking out the stuff that matters/made the book good to begin with.

I keep hoping I'll get a shorter story idea, so I can at least have one in the appropriate range. But I haven't had much luck with that. My "Elf-Gift" novel could be in that range if I really wanted it to be, I suppose. But only if I chose not to develop it as much as it probably should be. :(

Like I said, I keep hoping I'll get a shorter book idea. But at the same time, if I did, would I even want to write it? I like more complex stories with lots of development, conversations, subplots, etc. You can only do so much in 50K. :P

Posted : October 13, 2013 2:04 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Ahhh, NaNo. Even though I've done one at least once every year since 2009, not once have I done it correctly. :P ;)) I knew I wouldn't have time to do it properly, plus while I'm really good at coming up with beginnings/back-story for my stories, I'm not so good at endings. :P So, when I've done it, I've a) set the word goals around my schedule, so I've never made 50K, and/or b) didn't dedicate NaNo to one particular story, instead whatever I felt like writing that day. :P It works very well for making sure I get some writing done, but I would like to do an actual NaNo some year. Probably not this year, though, because I have no story ideas to develop right now. :(

As for the questions....

1. A little of both, really. Mainly, I outline if I'm still trying to figure out the order of events, but if I have a pretty firm concept of how I want it to go, then I'll just start writing. I do always have an outline in my head, at the very least.
2. I don't have a specific favorite drink, but pretzels work very well as a snack--they're not very messy, comparatively. ;)
3. Well, since I've never made 50K, I can't give advice here. I will say, though, that NaNo is a good way to force yourself to get some real progress down instead of just ideas, even if you don't do it the "right" way. So, if you don't have time, try tweaking the requirements a bit--don't necessarily do it in November, or try to hit 50,000, etc. It's not the same, but at least it's something. :)

I have never come close to that. Partly because, as I mentioned before, I'm pretty good with coming up with concepts--endings are the elusive part. ;) And I would say that writing a story with an ending would absolutely impact what kind of story I'd write. I often write stories which would almost work better as a series, as it's designed to let different forces/characters run into each other and create new results. And not a whole lot of plans for how all of those results end. :P

Same. And it's been a concern of mine for awhile. Especially because I've heard that publishers won't accept manuscripts that are over 50K, if you're a first time novelist. And even after you've had some books published, publishers still might not let you go very much over that. You have to be pretty famous, I guess, to write a long novel. And that's bad news for people like me, since my books range in the 180K - 250K range. You can't take a book that long and cut it down to 50K without taking out the stuff that matters/made the book good to begin with.

Huh, that's something I'll have to keep in mind when I'm writing my stories. :-s I don't write very efficiently at all, though, so I'm hoping to learn how to write more with less. :)

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : October 14, 2013 8:40 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

After thinking it over for awhile, I've decided I'm most likely going to write my "Elf-Gift" novel, rather than my Sci-fi this NaNo.

I've updated my profile. My novel cover and synopsis are up now, if anyone is curious to look at it. :)

Posted : October 15, 2013 2:34 am
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Nice summary Ithilwen! It's definitely something I'd be interested in reading.

Looking back on everyone's posts I forgot to answer the questions first go around.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

I'm a hardcore plotter. I have pages upon pages of characters, bios, sub-plots. Most of the time I like to break down the chapters before I start writing.

Favourite writing snack and drink?

My favorite snacks are small candies that are easy to reach over for and don't stain or get messy so I can continue to write. (Reeses Pieces, Smarties, or twizzlers.) Yes candy is my brain power. As for drinks; water or iced coffee.

Top tips for getting to 50k?

Since this is my first time doing NaNo I really don't have many good tips except for some experienced advice, and that is to write what you already know and that you can always go back to edit if you're not satisfied with the outcome. Look at it as if it were a draft paper and not the final. Hope that helps. :)

Now as for the story I decided to write I'm going for my Twister fanfic. I'm still in the plotting phases for my novels. I'll have a summary up soon for it. If you love college drama, adventure, peril and romance and you've seen the movie then yes you'll love it.

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : October 15, 2013 9:14 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Welp, I decided to join in the fun. That may change depending on health, but right now the only major commitment I have is job applications and medical appointments. NaNo username is dragon_topaz, feel free to add me.

I hope you do, because I really want to read your story.

That will be excellent motivation for actually finishing this time. ;))

I downloaded a couple of character profiles to round out my supporting characters more. Although, if I find my playwriting book I'll probably just use that one. I liked it a lot when I used it for class.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : October 15, 2013 3:01 pm
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

*waves to everyone*

how's NaNo preparation coming along? Now that I've started studying I'm being loaded up with work, but I'm still planning my novel with much excitment :) I still haven't been able to make a cover. I'm the sort of person, who will only work with material that I either have permission to use or that I've made myself (something that was ingrained in me while studying graphic design) and I haven't had time to take the nessecariy pictures to make the cover. But I plan to get around to it before November starts :p

While planning my novel I realized it's a a little longer than I expected (okay...it's a lot longer than I expected :p )

Welp, I decided to join in the fun.

Hooray!!!!!!

I'm a hardcore plotter. I have pages upon pages of characters, bios, sub-plots. Most of the time I like to break down the chapters before I start writing.

I do that too, I'm filling up an entire notebook with character bios and sublpots. I never actaully broke down the chapters before, but I'm thinking of doing that this time. Because my novel deals with a lot of people and places and I don't want to get confused or forget anything while writing

Ithie, I love your cover, it looks really cool and you have a great synopsis :) I wish I could write a decent synopsis, but I'm hopless at that

ROSIE!!!!!

I *try* to finish the novel. My first year of NaNo I won with 54k but didn't finish the novel because I got really stuck and didn't know how to continue. My second year I finished the entire novel at 55k. This year I REALLY want to finish the novel, but it's turned out to be very long, so I don't know, but I am going to try. I really don't like leaving a story unfinished, some of my stories that I wrote for CampNaNo are unfinished and I feel really bad about it :)

always be humble and kind

Posted : October 17, 2013 4:39 am
Page 2 / 9
Share: