Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Name Origins

Page 2 / 3
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Fun thread. Smile  I'm not really into the elvish names, but Meltintalle and Arwenel are super cool. Cool  

I joined NarniaWeb as a teen and I couldn't come up with a Narnia inspired name that wasn't already taken, so I picked SnowAngel for several reasons. I love snow/winter, it's the title of book I enjoyed reading about that time, it's unique, and I thought it sounded cool. Wink  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 8:00 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

I'll admit, my username history has gotten a bit more embarrassing as I've gotten older. ;)) So, basically it started a few months before I made an account, and I can't stress enough that I was 13 at the time. :P

So, not long before I joined the forum, I'd been playing with some friends of mine (who were younger than me so I still got to play games like this with them ;) ). I was in a Narnian mood, so I wanted to be a princess who was a dryad, because dryads were cool. But I wanted to be a naiad, because they were cool, too. Maybe... maybe I could be half-dryad, half-naiad. A ryad, I decided.

...Yes, that is where I got my name. =)) Given how... erm, expansive my imagination was at that age, I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I didn't find some way to justify fitting star ancestry in there, too. :P I guess I decided "Ryad" would be a weird username, so I extrapolated it into "Ryadian", and... here I am.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 4, 2020 4:37 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

It is a nice idea to learn about the various user names, everybody is using, in the one thread. I've really enjoyed reading the entries so far. :)

As for myself, though I've said it all beforehand, I've long been a fan of both Tolkien & C.S.Lewis, but never joined any fan sites or found any use for any sort of username until 2001, when the first Harry Potter Movie was filmed, thus starting my reading the books, especially as a break from work, in Christmas of 2001. In the second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, there is a character called the Wagga Wagga Werewolf, who allegedly was caught by a tea strainer in a telephone box by the fake Wizard, Gilderoy Lockhart, who was the second of the Defence of the Dark Arts teachers in the HP series, which at that time, J K Rowling had only completed up to Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire.

When in 2005 I first joined the Harry Potter web site, the Leaky Cauldron, as an HP fan, how could I resist Wagga Wagga Werewolf as a username, for all sorts of reasons? It was fun to surmise how that series would play out, who would end up with whom & I really enjoyed analysing the characters, the themes of the books & much else. The Leaky Cauldron got me into writing articles about the HP & I ended up writing about 5 or 6 of them. They may still be on Internet for all I know. Whilst writing those articles I became increasingly aware of just how much JK Rowling owed to her childhood reading of C.S.Lewis' Narnia series for inspiration, though the Narnia Chronicles & the HP series are completely different in scope & style. There is, for instance, a distinct resemblance between The Silver Chair's Lady of the Green Kirtle, & Nagini, in the HP series, & which Narnia character would HP character, Cedric Digory, of Hufflepuff house remind you of?

At the time, at the end of 2001, I was in the very last unit of my Master's degree in Library & Information Management, a long running saga, & definitely a professional & work qualification. You see, once I married, as much as possible of my lifetime studying, as a part of being a librarian, was done by distance education, supplied from 1996 to 2002 through the Wagga Wagga Campus of Charles Sturt University. When I finally graduated from my marathon efforts, spanning six years in all, in April of 2002, we went down to Wagga Wagga, for the occasion, an uncomfortable five hour journey, with five adults crammed into a single car. With relief I recognised along the Charles Sturt Highway, as we neared the city, a little old-fashioned general store, with a regulation public telephone box, a government mail box &, I think, a petrol pump, in the front, useful for a rest stop.

It had never occurred to me on previous journeys to Wagga, just quite what a perfect place to stop to buy an ice cream, or a soft drink it was. Or to be caught in a telephone box with a now obsolete tea strainer. You could buy there a packet of tea bags, if necessary, though by 2002, even a Wagga Wagga souvenir tea strainer would be impossible for anyone but a wizard to find. /:) Such a store did have at the back, a lettuce or two, along with some ham, cheese & tomatos, allegedly the sort of food the Wagga Wagga Werewolf was reduced to eating after its encounter with Lockhart. I had just finished reading Chamber of Secrets at the time. It didn't hurt that Lockhart, noted for verandas, is the name of a small country town, 200 km or so from Wagga Wagga, though you have to go through the city to get there.

I wondered if JK Rowling knew about Wagga, as we generally call the place, or had even been there, in more than imagination. Unusually, in English literature, she did manage to include some references to Australia. By the time I finished the series, I regretted that in my final Master's degree I had not read the books earlier, because of her caricature librarian, Madame Pince, all the more so as I had been writing about the image of librarians in literature & reality. In Wagga, itself, no doubt, JK Rowling's literary allusion to the town has provided plenty of amusement, over the years, not only its mispronunciation overseas.

I joined Narnia Web in January, 2009, because I wanted to support a petition Narnia Web was running at the time to get Walden to complete the filming of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but I saw no reason to change my user name of waggawaggawerewolf, when there is another werewolf in Prince Caspian that also came to grief. :) But in late September, 2009, NarniaWeb migrated to a new site, & since I was overseas when that happened, I ended up rejoining NarniaWeb, as waggawerewolf27, a modification of my original username. I have been here ever since. ;;)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2020 10:11 am
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

My name is from The Silmarillion. Lady Haleth was a great warrior who led the Haladin, one of the three peoples of the Edain who were allies of the Elves. She took command after her father and brother were killed in battle, and led her people to their home in the forest of Brethil. I tend to be fond of the warrior woman type of character, so when I was picking a name she was my first choice.

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 9, 2020 1:23 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Just realized that I never got around to responding to this thread. Giggle

My mouthful-of-a-username is a mash-up of Narnia and The Secret Garden. It actually took me a long time to come up with a username for the forum; I finally settled on something dryad-related because I'm on the tall side and I've had a lifelong tendency to befriend trees. I was stuck for a while, though, because just "Dryad" was either taken or too generic, and I wasn't drawn to any particular type of tree. I finally thought of the rose-trees (oaks with roses climbing all over them) found in the secret garden of the Frances Hodgson Burnett book of the same name... I've always loved that book (as well as her other novel A Little Princess) and I have always loved the images of the rose-trees coming alive and bursting into bloom, and so I really loved the idea of a rose-tree dryad dwelling in a secret garden. So at that point it was an easy choice. Smile

I sometimes wish my username wasn't quite so long, or didn't start with "The" because that can sound a bit awkward Giggle but overall I still really like the name ten years later! Rose

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2020 9:39 pm
Glenwit and johobbit liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

My name began nearly 20 years ago, when I was a member of the (now closed) discussion forum on Into The Wardrobe, when a chat room started and I needed a username.
I had played mice on stage, and created one in a forum RP, so I chose coracle, the little boat thatReepicheep travelled in at the end of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. As I said at the time, it was " a good vehicle for a mouse" , since 'vehicle' can mean 'a thing used to express, embody, or fulfil something'.
So I became "coracle".

(A coracle is a little round boat, used in many countries for fishing in shallow waters).
Coracle making weekend | Weald and Downland

When I joined Narniaweb, it seemed the best choice for my Narnian name.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 19, 2020 11:49 pm
Narnian78 and Glenwit liked
Fire Fairy
(@fire-fairy)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I wish I could say mine is Narnia-related, but it's not. Mine is based on a story I had running in my head through high school in which my alter-ego was a teenage superhero/magical girl with power over fire. I've always loved fire and considered it to be my element, so that's the name I've always chosen when needing an internet alias. ??‍♀️

Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2020 6:10 pm
Glenwit liked
Ellesar
(@ellesar)
Member Hospitality Committee

My username isn't too unique, lol. I became a huge Lord of the Rings fan when I was in high school and joined one of my first forums then and decided to use my favorite character as a username (Aragorn aka Elessar); however, I ended up misspelling it. So with basically any forum I've joined since, I've used some variation of Ellesar, although most people just call me Elle (which, ironically, is the phonetic pronunciation of my actual first initial Giggle  )

See the armies so arrayed,
Line on line, ten thousand strong.
See the Dragon King’s sharp blade,
Rising to a song!
See his enemies laid low!
Hear our voices sing:
Let glory crown the victor’s brow,
In the Hall of the Dragon King!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 20, 2020 9:32 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

In 2003 I had been lurking at a Tolkien discussion board for a few months before joining it. I saw that some people there took on Hobbit or Elf (or some other race) identities, especially for use on some of the more chatty fora - and I knew that I wanted to be an Elf.

I saw a girl commenting on her own user name, saying that it was Elvish and meant something like 'fair-haired maiden' - and that she should have chosen Barufiniel instead, as this meant 'brown-haired maiden', which would have been a more correct color.

Since this was my hair color as well, and the name wasn't taken, I chose it when I joined. I soon got involved in a group that called itself the Tea House, creating new colored tea houses every time a thread was too long and we had to start a new one. There were other "Elves" in the group as well, and a popular topic was Tolkien's Elven languages.

I introduced myself as an Elf, and they wondered whether my name was Sindarin or Quenya. I said that I didn't quite know, but I actually wanted a Quenya name (which pleased some of them immensely).

But they claimed it couldn't be Quenya, because Quenya doesn't have the letter 'B', it uses 'V' instead (with 'brown' being 'baran' in Sindarin and 'varne' in Quenya), and surely my parents wouldn't have given me a name that couldn't be pronounced in the language they used? It must be Sindarin.

This Tolkien board used display names as well as user names, so they worked out a Quenya version of my name to use as display name: Varnafinde.

When I joined, I had put "Narnia" as my location, mostly for fun. Then I began to wonder how it could be that an elf could come from Narnia. I chose to produce an explanation rather than change the location - which resulted in quite a bit of fan fiction, and participation in several role playing games on the site. Varna and her parents are my original characters, but I made her father a descendant of Angrod, one of the Noldorin Princes that Tolkien actually wrote about (one of Galadriel's brothers).

Varna's parents stumbled through a portal in Middle-earth and ended up in Narnia. They lived there for several hundred years and got their daughter there (I've written a story about how the Narnian squirrels she played with, gave her the name 'Brown-haired maiden'). Then they were all sent back by Aslan - Varna to Middle-earth, to finally get to know her own world, and her parents to the West.

Later, after I joined NarniaWeb, she has also travelled to Ditto Town and stayed there for quite a while. (In fact, at first I was just as - if not more - interested in role playing in Ditto Town as in discussions elsewhere on the board. It was a large part of the reason for my joining NarniaWeb at all.)

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2020 12:37 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

If you break it down wolfloversk is  "wolf-lover-S.K. - I love wolves.  They are my favorite animal 😉 The S.K. part is actually from my given initials.  As such, I usually pronounce it "wolf-lover-ess-kay."  Most people mispronounce it a lot when it's spoken out loud, but it's kind of my fault in hindsight, so I don't mind. (Most people read it as "lovers" instead of "lover" and get confused by the random k, since they don't know it's for my initials- I should have capitalized them or used periods, I guess, but now I'm too attached 😛 .)  Before I used this (long before NW) I used wolflover47 (4 was my favorite number at the time and 7 was my lucky number.  The one before that was my first initial followed by my full last name followed by 47 (sk****47) - I only used the last one for private games on the hand me down Sega really. So, it kind of evolved slowly over the years into what it is on here.  Currently, I typically use either wolfloversk or Dhrogara (which was somewhat derived from both the feminized Sindarian and the Quenyan words for wolf if I got my info from correct sources- Dhrogaravel is one of my latter characters in The Lord of the Rings Online and I just dropped the suffix and started using it elsewhere) in any online setting depending on the platform (typically the former for forums and social media and the later for MMOs and MOBAs.)

You guys can make it easy, though, and just call me wolf or Wolfy 😛 

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2020 2:30 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@wolfloversk You got it, Wolfy! 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 29, 2020 6:27 am
Wanderer Between Worlds
(@wanderer)
NarniaWeb Nut

Many thanks to @glenwit for posting this thread—it’s been so interesting reading how everyone came up with their usernames! Smile   I was a spectator of Narniaweb’s forums for quite a while before I actually joined, so I had the chance to see a lot of users’ names and get a feel for what sort of name I should have. 

From from the start, I really wanted my name to be Narnian themed, but I also wanted to have a personal connection to it.  I had seen Keeper of the Lantern Waste commenting on a news post, and I took inspiration from that.  I liked how they had taken a location in Narnia and then added a “role” to it.  I played around with different words and locations in Narnia, and one that I kept coming back to was the Wood Between the Worlds because there are so many pools to other, unexplored worlds, and we only get to see three of them (two if you don’t count England/earth).  I also love to read, and I saw the pools to other worlds as a metaphor for how books transport readers to other places.  

Taking all of this into account, my name was supposed to be “Wanderer of the Wood Between Worlds,” as it is completely Narnian in its reference but also encapsulates how I view reading books (and it’s alliterative! Grin ).  However, not only is that username a mouthful, it also has too many characters! Giggle  It got shortened to just “Wanderer Between Worlds,” which loses some of its Narnian uniqueness but keeps the basic idea I was going for.

—Wanderer

"I am,” said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2020 11:20 am
Wunderkind_Lucy, Glenwit, Courtenay and 2 people liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

My Narniaweb name is a combination of my real name (Jasmine) and Tarkheena, so it's Jasmine Tarkheena. (I might get accused of being a Calormene sympathizer). The name "Jasmine" is of Arabic origin. Fun fact: I was named after the Disney princess. So with Calormenes being portrayed from Arabian Nights and being named after a Disney princess who comes from a movie that is loosely based on Arabian nights, the Narniaweb name is  appropriate.

I chose @jasminetarkheena because Aravis and Emeth were both accepted in Aslan's countries (there may have been other Calormenes who were that we don't know about). Emeth is my favorite character in the series because he was accepted by Aslan, even though he's a Calormene. He chose a different path than most Calormenes did.

It's a great picture of how God accepts all of the human race, no matter their racial backgrounds. When Jesus was on Earth, He spent His time with not just the Jewish people, but with the Gentiles (the Samaritan woman, the Roman centurion, the Phoenician woman).

Wouldn't be safe that all the races in Narnia- Narnians, Archenlanders, Telmarines, and Calormenes are descendants from Adam and Eve? It shows that we are all the same human race.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2021 7:46 pm
Glenwit, Narnian78, coracle and 1 people liked
Cyberlucy
(@cyberlucy)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb

I have been using this user name since I first stepped in the web back in the 90s.   Cyberlucy is simply the cyber version of Lucy Pevensie so to speak.  My nephew liked it so much that for a while he was Cyberedmund.  Smile  

These are only shadows of the real world

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2021 9:38 am
Glenwit, Narnian78, Courtenay and 2 people liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I actually do not know where I came up with the number 78 in Narnian78. It was probably something arbitrary. At least it will distinguish me from anyone else who uses the name Narnian in this forum. I post under the name Larry W. in the comments about the news items. That is my real first name with my last name abbreviated. I had used that name in the forums of the Into the Wardrobe website when  I posted there. I used the name Ramandu on the old Stone Table website.  He was one of my favorite characters in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. When choosing a username make sure that you really want it since on most websites you aren’t allowed to change it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2021 9:49 am
Glenwit, Courtenay, Cyberlucy and 1 people liked
Page 2 / 3
Share: