Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Kids will be Kids

Page 3 / 7
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I'm a middle child :D smack dab in the middle. Three older and two younger. I actually never minded being the in the middle, I got along very well with my two younger sisters and we did almost everything together :)

Recent funny story with my niece.
My older sister was sitting eating sunflower seeds in the kitchen and Alyona came to join her. Pretty soon the large pile of seeds began to run low and Alyona wanted to get some more from the package, but my older sister told her it would be best to first finish the pile on the table. Alyona looked at her with wide eyes and sad "But there needs to be enough for our children!"
Me and my older sister exchanged glances and my older sister asked Alyona. "What children?"
"Our children." Alyona replied.
"Which children are 'our children'?"
Here Alyona promptly pointed to herself and rubbed her chest for emphasis. My older sister and I burst out laughing and we let her get more seeds from the package ;))

always be humble and kind

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2014 5:13 am
parableproductions
(@parableproductions)
NarniaWeb Nut

Like several others here, I don't have any children myself. It works out well though, since I've never gotten married either.

But, I have 8 nieces & nephews, 10 great nieces & nephews and any day now will have a great-great niece. (I have to remind myself that it's okay - I've been an aunt since I was 9 years old)

I also used to work at a daycare. So, I've had a lot of kids in my life.

A little boy at the daycare (he wasn't quite 2 years old) was very enamored with basketball. That's about all he would talk about. One day at snack time, he looked at me and said (again) "See the basketball." I said, "No, I don't see it. Where's the basketball?" He said, "See Grandma?" I said, "No, where's Grandma?" He replied with, "In the middle playing basketball!" Of course, when his mom came to pick him up, I had to tell her the crazy thing he said. She started laughing and informed me that Grandma was on a senior citizen basketball team. They had played the night before and she took her grandson with her. And what position did Grandma play?? Center. The kid knew exactly what he was talking about. I was just too stupid to understand. :p

Further up and further in!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 21, 2014 1:37 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Oh that is nice Fantasia. Is it your second?

Yep, second kiddo. :)

Were/are any of you the middle child?

No, I am the eldest of three. Hence, the reason I'm so bossy. :P ;)) For those who remember Aravanna, she is the youngest. :)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 26, 2014 9:48 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Ha in that case being the middle accounts for me being on the fence?. I have always thought of myself as the family peace keeper.(I am the least likely family member to be involved in a fit with another). I always try and steer the conversation away from subjects which we disagree on(Ie. how terrible Tony Abbott) and awkward conversations(I am the biggest avoider of awkward conversations/conflict with in family situations, and to be honest daily life).

So being the middle child isn't to bad for the following reasons
1. Tend to get away with more since they don't pay as much attention to what you are doing.
2. Don't have to be the follower of the leader.
3. Don't have to set any example for younger siblings(to an extent).
4. Parents aren't as restrictive. For the oldest they are not sure at what age to let there kid do certain stuff by the middle child they have worked that out and by the youngest they don't want to let them grow up.

Bad things
1. Your achievements tend to be overlooked. Though this isn't so bad. I don't crave much attention.
2. You are not counted as the younger or older group often and left in a group of your own.
3. Some relatives always forget which one you are.
4. The feeling of being left out(My family were not the richest growing up so we had to take turns). e.g "Wayne(My dad) take the youngest two to this place..... and next week the oldest two to this place......."

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2014 11:21 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Ha in that case being the middle accounts for me being on the fence?.

;)) I don't know about that. I think it's just personality traits. In my husband's family, the middle son was the most combative (he's in his 40s so he's settled quite a bit from his teenage years ;) ), the eldest is the most passive and calm, and my husband (youngest) is probably in the middle personality-wise. ;))

In other news, we've been shopping around for a bed for Evan. At first we were gonna get him a twin bed, but I think we may move our futon upstairs and get a new non-nasty mattress for him instead. That'll free up the crib for baby girl when she comes along. :)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 1, 2014 2:54 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

How long until she comes?. Do you plan to have more children after her?

I would say. My older brother, and sister do have some anger issues. Especially my sister. It doesn't take much to make her annoyed. Sometimes you can't even finish what you were going to say.

My younger sister and brother are very sulky. Especially my younger sister. I guess it is more of an early teen thing but she has always been sulky tbh.

I don't tend to have fits of rage or get upset easy. If I do I try to hide it best I can.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2014 4:12 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Just popping in to say I always enjoy reading the posts in this topic. Fun stories, cool things and kid stuff.

When I was packing up our house for moving, I found a slip of paper on which I had written a cute bit from our youngest. Years ago, when he was learning to talk, he had trouble saying "upside down", so coined it "sibey down" for quite a while. The reason he even had to say this was because he loved when my husband or I held him 'sibey down' by his feet. ;)) (And no, he didn't turn out to be a gymnast ... rather, an accountant, lol.)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2014 11:30 am
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Haha an accountant and gymnast are o opposite ends of the career line. I was going to be an account because I was good at math but than I realised that science was much more interesting(personality).

About saying things wrong as a child. I use to have trouble with the ish sound(such as fish and dish). I would say ish without saying the f or the d. I ing soon got them all but I just couldn't do the f for sometime. I remember thinkg that I was saying it properly and those adults were just being pains.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2014 3:53 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

The only word I remember having great difficulty saying as a child was 'yellow'. That 'y' sound was just so hard! Whenever I tried it came out 'lellow'. :P

My sister Ara has a funnier one though. She would always ask my mom for 'meat and potten' and of course my mom had NO CLUE what on earth that was. One day they were at the grocery store and walked by the ice cream section and my sister started yelling 'meat and potten MEAT AND POTTEN!' and my mom finally figured out that she was asking for 'Neapolitan ice cream.' :))

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 9, 2014 4:03 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

I remember thinking that I was saying it properly and those adults were just being pains.

Yeah, we have a friend who was like that. She couldn't pronouce her initial 's'
sounds, particularly in consonant blends.

One day she saw a snake, and very excitedly came to tell us about it.
"I 'aw a 'nake," she said.
"A what?"
"A 'nake!"
"Oh, I see--a 'nake."
"No, a 'nake, a 'nake."
She could hear that we weren't saying it correctly.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2014 4:05 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

Yeah when they told me what I had said I could tell they were not saying it correctly.

@Fantasia I use to think that ice cream as called Napoleon icecream as a kid, and assumed it was named after him for some reason.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2014 6:35 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I'm sitting here minding my own business when my little sister comes in. (She's seven.)

Little Sis: Are you sweating?
Mel: No, not really.
Little Sis: Well, you need some electrolytes anyway. Goodbye.

...and then she went off and poured me a glass of milk. ;))

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2014 8:55 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

I remember thinking that I was saying it properly and those adults were just being pains.

Yeah, we have a friend who was like that. She couldn't pronouce her initial 's'
sounds, particularly in consonant blends.

One day she saw a snake, and very excitedly came to tell us about it.
"I 'aw a 'nake," she said.
"A what?"
"A 'nake!"
"Oh, I see--a 'nake."
"No, a 'nake, a 'nake."
She could hear that we weren't saying it correctly.

;)) Talking to my older brother* is like that. He also has a hard time with "f"s and "v"s--they usually sound more like "p"s and "b"s, so instead of calling the movie "Frozen", he calls it "the movie with the ice!" :P
(*Yes, I said older--he's not young, but he has Trisomy-21/Down Syndrome, and he also had hearing problems when he was young. So, his speech is still sometimes difficult to understand.)

I was babysitting my nephew this weekend, and boy is he active these days! ;)) He's 20 months now, and while he hasn't started talking, he sure is babbling. :) He discovered two new "games"--first of all, he found out that, if he drives his big Tonka truck around the house shouting until he runs into something, it will make me start laughing hysterically. ;)) The other thing is that, one time, I started "creeping up" on him on my hands and knees--the plan was to get him from behind and tickle him. He noticed me, though, and decided to "push" me over instead. It gave him such a kick when I fell over, we ended up doing that all day. :P :)

My nephew loves anything with wheels, so any time he comes over, all of the trucks--including the Duplo ones--come out of their boxes and off the shelves. :P But, he's also learned how to put toys away, so sometimes he'll help you clean up after playtime is done. :D Sometimes. ;) In reality, he just does it whenever he feels like it, and sometimes that coincides with playtime being done. ;)

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2014 2:43 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

We had a rather amusing incident a couple of weeks ago. I, along with quite a few other family members, gathered for my mother's 85th birthday. Along with several other events, one thing we did was attend church with her.

In a Catholic Mass the priest mixes some water and wine. At that point my great-nephew (my niece's son), who is 4, turned to my older sister (his grandmother) and asked, "Is he making a potion?" ;))

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2014 5:46 pm
wild rose
(@wild-rose)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I was recently visting my friends and they have a three year old boy and his dad was playing a game with him, he would write a word then the kid would have to read it and explain what it meant. At one point the dad wrote "squirrel" and the boy said "that's when it sits in a tree" a few word later the dad wrote "tree" and this was the definition: "that's when it's just like that, without the squirrel." ;))

always be humble and kind

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2014 8:06 am
Page 3 / 7
Share: