Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Genetic traits

Page 1 / 3
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

We were talking about this in class yesterday, in particular the hitch hikers thumb. Mine was by far the most extreme.

what genetic traits do you have?

Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2012 2:23 am
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

I can more or less guarantee you that every trait you have is due to genetics (in some way, shape or form). It is true that there are some genes (called epigenes) that do have some environmental tie ins, and that's as good as far as it goes. . . but to answer the question, I suppose I'd have to answer it with "All of my traits."

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : August 5, 2012 10:43 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

People always seem to freak out when I do this.

I also can move my ears, and I was born with one ear slightly pointed at the tip. :P

~Riella =:)

Posted : August 5, 2012 12:50 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I cannot say it's genetic. But I can wiggle a vien on my hand by flexing my fingers. I try to tell kids I have worms, and they squirm.
I have always been wondering about genetics, and how God uses the genetic code. Honestly, I doubt anyone will fully understand it.

Posted : August 5, 2012 5:03 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

All my fingers bend like my thumb, it came from my dads side of the family(dominate trait). My fingers are perfect for playing a stereotypical evil witch.

Topic starter Posted : August 5, 2012 11:09 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

;)) What a fun thread!

IlF and Ithi, I can do that with both my thumbs too, although not quite to the same extent as you, IlF, and definitely not with my other fingers. :P

But I can wiggle a vien on my hand by flexing my fingers. I try to tell kids I have worms, and they squirm.

:)) Love it!

I can do something odd with my eyes. I discovered it (although I can't recall how) when I was in my very early teens. I can wiggle my irises and pupils super fast—lightning speed (it kinda freaks people out. ;))): when I start them, they're almost involuntary, except I can stop 'em okay. But maybe I won't be able to someday ... :-s :p Remind me to show Mooters at the next Moot. B-)

When I showed one of my Pioneer Girls' leaders at the time, she exclaimed wryly that possibly I had something lose in my brain. :)) (Btw, I knew her well and she knew I could handle her affectionate joking. ;)))

EDIT: However, since this is a Genetic topic for unusual things, I should say that I have no idea who I inherited this from. :P

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : August 6, 2012 6:05 am
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

I've got double-jointed thumbs too. It creeps my brother out. :p We think it comes from Mom's side of the family; most of her brother's joints are double-jointed.

One very odd trait I have is my sense of taste. I wouldn't have even discovered it if it weren't for my college biology teacher. He was doing a study involving a genetic trait that sensed bitter tastes. I forget what the name of it was, but not everyone can taste a bitter chemical that is in most vegetables. His study involved predicting who had the genetic code to be able to taste the chemical. As part of a class experiment we all tasted it and he predicted who would be able to taste it and who wouldn't. Less than half the class could taste it, and almost every single one of us who could taste it could not stand to eat most raw vegetables because they always tasted slightly bitter. There are a few exceptions, such as carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers, but for the most part I have to smother any raw vegetables in ranch dressing before I eat them. ;))

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : August 6, 2012 12:10 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

daughter of theKing;
I have heard of that before. I think it may be similer to people who are allergic to some foods, will also have allergies to some pollins. Perhaps a similar protein in both. Example. I cannot eat raw pinapple, and get stuffed up when driving past a fresh cut field.

By the way. Can anyone else wiggle their nose?

Posted : August 6, 2012 12:36 pm
narnialuver
(@narnialuver)
NarniaWeb Nut

My hands crack a lot when I twist them (I think its from my dads side) and I have a small bump on the back of my head which my mom has too.

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012

Posted : August 6, 2012 1:03 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

@puddlegum I can't wiggle my nose but i can flare it.

Also what do kids say when you wiggle that vein?

@dtk Maybe that's the reason I hate eating lettuce without anything on it.

I have trouble holding my hands strait because of my bent fingers. Coaches at netball/basketball use to think i was cheating so they wouldn't notice my nails. When i was younger(about 8-10) i got very upset about them calling me a lier.

Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2012 1:13 pm
Miss Rosario
(@miss-rosario)
NarniaWeb Guru

I can wiggle my nose as well as my ears. I can move both ears at once, or only one, or one by one. I likely got that from my dad, as he can do it also.

Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci

Posted : August 7, 2012 3:20 am
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

IloveFauns; So far no reaction from children, more curiosity I think.
I too can flare my nostrils. But I get a better reaction when I wiggle it. Though it tends to itch if I do it too long.
What about rolling the tounge? I can but the Mrs. cannot.

Posted : August 7, 2012 5:13 pm
IloveFauns
(@ilovefauns)
NarniaWeb Guru

My whole family can role their tongues so thats not surprise that I can. Post a video of that vein thing.

Anyway you guys with these traits , do you find it hard to imagine not being able to do it? I guess those who can't feel the same way.

Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2012 9:59 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

Anyway you guys with these traits , do you find it hard to imagine not being able to do it? I guess those who can't feel the same way.

I do find it hard to imagine. Being double jointed in my thumb, I often wonder what it feel like for people with "average" thumbs. And what it feels like for them if they tried to bend their thumb the way I do. My thumb feels perfectly normal to me, and I move it that way quite often. So when I imagine someone not being able to do that, it seems like they would be so limited. ;)) But I'm sure it probably feels normal for them too.

~Riella =:)

Posted : August 7, 2012 10:46 pm
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

Most of my traits I got from my Maternal Unit. Among them....I'm left-handed, have a widow's peak, free hanging ear lobes, I can wiggle my nose and ears, and just like her I can raise one eyebrow higher than the other (sort of like Spock when he's contemplative ;))).

The baldness gene skipped my generation. I'm the only male in my immediate family that has a full head of hair. Phew! ;))

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : August 8, 2012 10:52 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: