Clear all

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Page 49 / 58
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Speaking of foodies, someone I know recommends this:

JENNY'S FANTASTIC SICK-DAY CHICKEN SOUP

(NOTE: Requires a programmable multi-function pressure cooker pot.)

Here's the ultimate sick-day version:

*3 frozen skinless boneless chicken white (breast) meat

*2 quarts chicken broth, or water plus stock cubes or stock powder

*Frozen diced onion to equal about 1 onion (use dried if you have to, but I find it unappealing)

*Fresh or frozen pre-sliced carrots, or fresh baby-cut carrots, to equal about 3 large carrots

*Pre-sliced celery to equal 3 stalks, or half teaspoon celery seed

*1 cup uncooked brown rice

*2 teaspoons dried parsley

*Teaspoon dried thyme

*Half teaspoon each dried rosemary and dried marjoram

*Generous spoonful bottled minced garlic, or rounded teaspoon garlic powder

*1 bay leaf

Set your programmable cooker to Saute while you gather everything and put it into the cooker insert. (Preheating the cooker like this will make the pressure-cooking step go faster.)

Note that your ingredients may stick up above the level of the broth. Resist the temptation to add more broth; your ingredients will give off lots of juice.

Now cancel the saute cycle, put the lid on, and make sure that the vent is sealed.

Set the pressure-cooking time to 18 minutes.

(Remember that the cooker first has to build up pressure, then cook, then cool--this is not a super fast recipe.)

When the cook cycle is done, wait 5 minutes, then open the vent. If liquid comes out, close it again and wait 5 more minutes.

Vent the steam until it is all done, then remove the lid.

Using two sturdy forks, first fish out the bay leaf, then tear the chicken into bite-sized shreds.

Serve and enjoy.

You can replace dried ingredients with fresh that you chop, or pre-sliced with whole items that you slice yourself, and/or frozen chicken with fresh if you like.

You can also vary the vegetables or herbs or replace the rice with barley, potatoes, or what you like.

[/End Jenny's recipe]

She has four new fans from this recipe. So I thought it would be appreciated here too.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2020 4:55 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Ooooooh, that sounds so delicious. I love chicken soup. Don't have a programmable multi-function pressure cooker, though, but I'll save the recipe just in case... Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 23, 2020 10:51 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Last Friday two of my kids accompanied me to Costco where they saw the pie pumpkins there and declared they wanted to make Pumpkin Pie from scratch. It took us three days (first day was bake the pumpkins, second day was puree the cooked pumpkin, third day was pie day!) but we did it and we get to eat it tomorrow. It smells amazing. Maybe even this particular pumpkin pie hater will try some. 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2020 7:29 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Shadsie's Breakfast Bowl

1 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

½ of average-sized green pepper (optional)

(Or a handful or two of frozen chopped onion and pepper from a mixed ‮gab‬).

2-3 strips bacon, cut into little pieces

2-3 russet potatoes, chopped (peeling optional)

Salt and pepper to taste

Handful of shredded cheddar cheese

1 egg per bowl served

In a skillet turned to medium-heat, place bacon, onion (and or green peppers) and garlic. Stir until bacon begins to brown.

Place in potatoes. Salt and pepper. Cover for a few minutes to potatoes tender. Stir. Repeat. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Scoop mix into bowls. Add cheese and allow to melt on top.

In a separate small greased / buttered skillet, fry an egg over easy or over medium (an egg per bowl) – place egg on top of bowl of cheesy potatoes.

Enjoy!

[/end Shadsie's recipe]

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2020 6:02 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

I made some cinnamon rolls a couple of days ago and they turned out great! I used this recipe for the dough and filling; I made the dough in the bread machine, and left off the frosting as I didn't have cream cheese and they don't really need it. But now I'm in danger of finishing off the batch in a few more days (I did give a few away) - I had meant to freeze some, but it may be beyond my self-control now. Tongue

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2020 5:30 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The smell of freshly-baked cinnamon rolls immediately brings back childhood memories of my mother spending Saturdays baking fresh bread and cinnamon rolls for the family. Wonderful!

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2020 10:02 pm
johobbit liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

Anyone have any great no-egg and no-wheat cookie recipes? My cyber Monday purchase last year was a food sensitivity test and on the 31st I got my results. I got abnormal on 11 foods (egg white and yolk, barley, cloves, garlic, gluten, marjoram, rye, spelt, thyme, and wheat) which isn't too bad, my mom and dad have way more that they tested abnormal on. Staying away from wheat for a while is going to be hard, my sisters make terrific bread and waffles and biscuits, etc. Plus who put gluten in the soy sauce? D\'oh However I can still have coffee and my dad currently cannot, so that's good...for me. Dancing  

While spending too much time on Pinterest I did find an oat graham cracker recipe that's quite tasty. I think it would make a great pie crust. Drool Next I am planning to try a pumpkin oat bread also found on Pinterest.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 7, 2021 2:08 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @snowangel

Anyone have any great no-egg and no-wheat cookie recipes? ...

While spending too much time on Pinterest I did find an oat graham cracker recipe that's quite tasty. I think it would make a great pie crust. Drool Next I am planning to try a pumpkin oat bread also found on Pinterest.

You're OK with oats, Snowangel? Right, this sounds like a job for...

Choc Chip Banana Cookies. Grin Grin Grin

(Well, I actually call them choc chip banana biscuits — or bikkies, in Aussie slang — but they're cookies to you in America. I found this recipe somewhere online years ago and tweaked it a bit. These are quite moist, not too sweet, and almost addictively delicious. And quite healthy too!)

2 cups rolled oats
100g [3 1/3 oz] almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
3 large, ripe bananas, well mashed
1 tsp natural vanilla extract or essence
1/4 cup olive oil
150 - 180g [5-6 oz] dark chocolate, chopped

Mix together oats, almond meal, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl. In a larger bowl, combine mashed bananas, vanilla extract and olive oil. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chunks to mix them evenly throughout the dough.
Line a baking tray with baking paper and drop dollops of dough about an inch apart - they can be bite-size (about 2 tsp) or a little larger. Bake at 175 C [350 F] for 12-14 minutes.

This makes anywhere from 30-40+ biscuits [cookies] depending on the size you make them. You can vary the size of the choc bits (from shavings to whole chunks), and use any kind of dark chocolate you like, including sugar-free or dairy-free, as long as it's good quality. Or if you prefer not to have chocolate, I'm sure it would also work with chopped dried fruit (especially apricots) or berries.

Enjoy! Wink  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 2:52 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Does the food sensitivity test specify if egg means baked egg, @SnowAngel? In the case of egg allergy, people can often tolerate egg that's been baked thoroughly. I think the same applies to milk allergy as well; it has something to do with denaturing the proteins.

I can't remember a lot of no-egg, no-wheat recipes, but I do recall seeing shortbread cookies made with coconut flour and/or almond flour, butter, and sweetener.

And your poor dad, but yay, more coffee for you! Smug Giggle

The other day I attempted a recipe I've seen floating around on the internet recently called mujaddara — it's a lentils and rice dish with caramelized onions that's popular all over the Middle East and thought to be a culinary descendant of the "mess of pottage" mentioned in the Bible. Spices used in it are cumin, coriander, and mint, and it's typically served with yogurt, but the Lebanese recipe I was following only called for cumin, and I only had cottage cheese on hand, but that worked fine in place of yogurt. Giggle

I liked it, although I think the next time I make it, I'll use more onions. And slice them properly: it took me forever to caramelize them. About an hour into cooking the onions and still waiting for them to caramelize, I started thinking about a batch of sauerkraut I made once that went bad because I didn't slice the cabbage thinly, which meant that the bacteria couldn't access the carbohydrates inside the leaves. I wondered if maybe the same thing was going on with my thick-sliced onions, and sure enough, Google said that I should've julienned them. Tongue You live and learn!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 2:54 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
I'm not a big fan for bananas, but I will file your cookie recipe to try in the future, @Courtenay. Yes, oats are fine.

Posted by: @rose

Does the food sensitivity test specify if egg means baked egg, @SnowAngel? In the case of egg allergy, people can often tolerate egg that's been baked thoroughly. I think the same applies to milk allergy as well; it has something to do with denaturing the proteins.

The test just says egg white and egg yolk. I got a 135 on egg whites and a 28 on egg yolk. I think I will be able to add egg yolks back in a month or so, but the egg white.... D\'oh I am now planning to start with baked eggs when I can try having them again. 

I've done some baking with coconut flour in the past couple years, but all of my coconut flour recipes call for eggs or almond flour (which is currently a no-no for mom and dad). Eyeroll   I like the idea of coconut flour shortbread cookies, maybe next week I can try making some. Smile  

Mmmm, mujaddara sounds yummy, @rose. I'll have to mention it to Scarlet, she enjoys cooking lentils.

I tried the pumpkin bread recipe, it definitely needed more liquid. Baking with oat flour is such a learning curve, I did some baking with it in the spring/summer when we ran out of wheat flour, but switched back to wheat as soon as possible and we were using eggs then too. I think I need to get a new binder for no-gluten/wheat and no-egg recipes.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 1:59 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
Posted by: @snowangel

I'm not a big fan for bananas, but I will file your cookie recipe to try in the future, @Courtenay. Yes, oats are fine.

The cookies don't taste very banana-y, I should add — just slightly. They're more in there as a sweetener and thickener than as the dominant flavour, I'd say. I'd love to know what you think if you do try them. Smile  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 9, 2021 3:35 pm
SnowAngel liked
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I think you mentioned a while back that your family eats lentils once a week, @SnowAngel? Is there a recipe y'all particularly like?

I'm finally getting back into culturing dairy at home after not being able to keep up with it for a couple of years. I want to get back into kefir at some point, but for now I'm doing heirloom countertop yogurt cultures, which are mesophilic bacteria cultures that are happiest at room temperature and (unlike kefir which involves straining out the grains) will perpetually culture just by adding a tiny bit of the last batch of yogurt to the new one.

IMO, it's a great way to get into cultured dairy because it's so easy and there's so little time involved. The cultures that I'm using are Cultures for Health's Heirloom Starter Cultures, which is an assortment of four varieties of heirloom countertop yogurt from all over Europe: filmjölk and piima from Scandinavia, viili from Finland, and matsoni from eastern Europe. IIRC, filmjölk is my favorite, but they're all good and the difference in taste and consistency is really fun and interesting. Science! Nerd Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2021 1:49 pm
SnowAngel liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

@Courtenay, that's good to know, although I don't think I will be able to try any banana recipes any time soon. Bananas haven't been lasting very long around in recent weeks, my dad and siblings have been eating them all. 

@Rose, yes, we eat lentils every week. Scarlet has two basic recipes for lentils, one with Greek spices and one with Mexican spices. She cooks one bag of lentils in the pressure cooker, adds one can of petite diced tomatoes and either set of spices. I will get the spice measurements from her and update this post accordingly. We really enjoy these lentils topped with either sour cream or cottage cheese. Scarlet also makes this lentil sloppy joe recipe that's really good.

Last week I made a batch of Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies, they were very good. Smile   I think this recipe would be a great bar cookie as well. Or yummy just eaten straight out of the food processor. Giggle I need to make another batch. Grin  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 18, 2021 1:36 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

My super picky eater daughter's newest favorite cake....

https://www.sweetbitesblog.com/journal/2011/2/8/gcc-menu-19-sticky-lemon-cake.html

^^This cake was interesting because for ME PERSONALLY, it wasn't sweet enough. But I got thumbs up from my whole family, so I guess it's a winner. Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 6:14 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

Ooh, sounds good, @fantasia! Smile I don't mind not-too-sweet desserts and I usually love lemon-flavoured ones, so I wouldn't mind trying that recipe some time. That cake is what we call a lemon drizzle cake in Britain — very popular. In fact, just a few days ago I came across another gluten-free recipe for it with an unusual ingredient. This one uses not only almond meal, but mashed potato!! Shocked  

Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Cake

I've just done a quick grams-to-cups conversion (online) and this one has slightly more sugar in the cake than the recipe you tried (1 cup rather than 3/4 cup), so it might be a little sweeter. I don't know, not having tried either version. Looks like I'll have to bake them both some time and compare!!

(I see with the BBC Good Food recipe, they've missed out one important thing that the Sweet Bites Blog recipe does include: for a lemon drizzle cake, you're supposed to pierce the top of the cake all over with a skewer before you pour the lemon syrup over it, so that the syrup sinks in and makes lots of lovely lemony patches inside the cake. Yummmm. Grin )

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 1:57 am
Page 49 / 58
Share: