Food for Thought (and Discussion)  

Page 49 / 49
  RSS
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Speaking of foodies, someone I know recommends this:

JENNY'S FANTASTIC SICK-DAY CHICKEN SOUP

(NOTE: Requires a programmable multi-function pressure cooker pot.)

Here's the ultimate sick-day version:

*3 frozen skinless boneless chicken white (breast) meat

*2 quarts chicken broth, or water plus stock cubes or stock powder

*Frozen diced onion to equal about 1 onion (use dried if you have to, but I find it unappealing)

*Fresh or frozen pre-sliced carrots, or fresh baby-cut carrots, to equal about 3 large carrots

*Pre-sliced celery to equal 3 stalks, or half teaspoon celery seed

*1 cup uncooked brown rice

*2 teaspoons dried parsley

*Teaspoon dried thyme

*Half teaspoon each dried rosemary and dried marjoram

*Generous spoonful bottled minced garlic, or rounded teaspoon garlic powder

*1 bay leaf

Set your programmable cooker to Saute while you gather everything and put it into the cooker insert. (Preheating the cooker like this will make the pressure-cooking step go faster.)

Note that your ingredients may stick up above the level of the broth. Resist the temptation to add more broth; your ingredients will give off lots of juice.

Now cancel the saute cycle, put the lid on, and make sure that the vent is sealed.

Set the pressure-cooking time to 18 minutes.

(Remember that the cooker first has to build up pressure, then cook, then cool--this is not a super fast recipe.)

When the cook cycle is done, wait 5 minutes, then open the vent. If liquid comes out, close it again and wait 5 more minutes.

Vent the steam until it is all done, then remove the lid.

Using two sturdy forks, first fish out the bay leaf, then tear the chicken into bite-sized shreds.

Serve and enjoy.

You can replace dried ingredients with fresh that you chop, or pre-sliced with whole items that you slice yourself, and/or frozen chicken with fresh if you like.

You can also vary the vegetables or herbs or replace the rice with barley, potatoes, or what you like.

[/End Jenny's recipe]

She has four new fans from this recipe. So I thought it would be appreciated here too.

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 22, 2020 4:55 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Guru Friend of NarniaWeb

Ooooooh, that sounds so delicious. I love chicken soup. Don't have a programmable multi-function pressure cooker, though, but I'll save the recipe just in case... Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 23, 2020 10:51 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Last Friday two of my kids accompanied me to Costco where they saw the pie pumpkins there and declared they wanted to make Pumpkin Pie from scratch. It took us three days (first day was bake the pumpkins, second day was puree the cooked pumpkin, third day was pie day!) but we did it and we get to eat it tomorrow. It smells amazing. Maybe even this particular pumpkin pie hater will try some. 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2020 7:29 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Shadsie's Breakfast Bowl

1 medium onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

½ of average-sized green pepper (optional)

(Or a handful or two of frozen chopped onion and pepper from a mixed ‮gab‬).

2-3 strips bacon, cut into little pieces

2-3 russet potatoes, chopped (peeling optional)

Salt and pepper to taste

Handful of shredded cheddar cheese

1 egg per bowl served

In a skillet turned to medium-heat, place bacon, onion (and or green peppers) and garlic. Stir until bacon begins to brown.

Place in potatoes. Salt and pepper. Cover for a few minutes to potatoes tender. Stir. Repeat. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Scoop mix into bowls. Add cheese and allow to melt on top.

In a separate small greased / buttered skillet, fry an egg over easy or over medium (an egg per bowl) – place egg on top of bowl of cheesy potatoes.

Enjoy!

[/end Shadsie's recipe]

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2020 6:02 pm
Page 49 / 49
Share: