Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Everyone wants to talk weather Part 3

Page 12 / 13
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Oops! My fault, when I should have known better. Blush I thought that Inverloch was somewhere more in the middle of eastern Victoria, and not somewhere closer to the south coast & the Latrobe Valley. If Mallacoota is 448.8 km away on the admittedly long and winding Princes Highway, Sydney is "only" 560 km away, going the most direct route, on the still long and winding Princes Highway. It has been years since I went that far south in Gippsland, when we went to see the fairy penguin march at Phillip Island, off Wilson's Promontory. I'm more acquainted with the other side of Melbourne, where one of my nieces-in-law lives at Portland. 

Today, I'm not going anywhere, as it is a scorcher, predicted to reach 39C, the last hurrah of summer, 29th February. But tomorrow is another day. 🥵🥵🥵

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 28, 2024 7:58 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

It has been years since I went that far south in Gippsland, when we went to see the fairy penguin march at Phillip Island, off Wilson's Promontory.

Phillip Island is only about half an hour's drive from where I grew up (more like 45 minutes if you go all the way to where the penguins are)! Smile Inverloch is between there and "the Prom" (as we all call Wilson's Promontory). I'm less familiar with the Prom, as it's over an hour's drive in the other direction, but I have been there a few times, including for a 3-day hike for the Duke of Edinburgh's Bronze Award (now that was hard! Whew ) and also for a geography project in my final year of high school, assessing how the main camping / cabin area could be managed more sustainably.

I'm more acquainted with the other side of Melbourne, where one of my nieces-in-law lives at Portland. 

Incredibly beautiful area too, including of course the Great Ocean Road, which I'm sure you've seen before! Applause My parents had their honeymoon along there, at Port Campbell. I've only been down that way once, for a performance of the choir I was in (in Melbourne) in conjunction with a local choir in Portland. We were doing a choral symphony written by a local composer, all about the local landscape of cliffs and sea and forest and river — it was a beautiful piece and we all hugely enjoyed it. I was travelling by car with two friends from the choir, sharing the driving, and we took the Great Ocean Road back to Melbourne the next day and were stopping literally every few minutes to go "Oh WOW!!!" and take photo after photo after photo!!! Grin Grin Grin  

Now as this has come thoroughly off the subject of weather, I will pull it back on topic to say north-west England for the last couple of days has been mostly overcast, sometimes rainy, "quite mild" at the moment (about 9 C, which would rate as "freezing" in Melbourne Eyebrow ), but will be down to almost 0 C the next couple of nights. Now that it's almost March, we're all looking forward to more signs of spring!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 29, 2024 8:00 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

We could use some rain (or snow!) here. We had a quick cold snap, with yesterday's temperatures around 20F/-6C in the afternoon, and wind chills around 0F/-17C.

But strong southwest winds this weekend will drive temps into record territory, with 70F/21C possible on Sunday. If that happens, it would be the earliest in a season 70F has been reached. And the records just keep falling.

We're also expecting the return of wildfire smoke, due to the large fires in the Texas panhandle. The warm dry winds will blow that our way later today and through the weekend.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 29, 2024 12:03 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@Courtenay: Now as this has come thoroughly off the subject of weather, I will pull it back on topic to say north-west England for the last couple of days has been mostly overcast, sometimes rainy, "quite mild" at the moment (about 9 C, which would rate as "freezing" in MelbourneEyebrow), but will be down to almost 0 C the next couple of nights. Now that it's almost March, we're all looking forward to more signs of spring!

According to this weather chart put out by Daily Express, yesterday (UK snow latest), you're supposed to be up to your ears in something like 7 cm of snow from Manchester to Southhampton, due to a non-stop 120-hour, Arctic blast. Would you please let me know if that headline was actually a slight exaggeration? Like the long, hot, dry summer we were promised last year by BOM? Eyeroll Hmmm

@ Stargazer: 1. wind chills around 0F/-17C. 2. with 70F/21C

Indeed, quite an extreme change in temperature, from -17C to 21C! I understand that the "Texas Panhandle is the bit neighbouring New Mexico, that is to say, one is getting into desert or semi-desert territory, there.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 29, 2024 4:21 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

According to this weather chart put out by Daily Express, yesterday (UK snow latest), you're supposed to be up to your ears in something like 7 cm of snow from Manchester to Southhampton, due to a non-stop 120-hour, Arctic blast. Would you please let me know if that headline was actually a slight exaggeration? Like the long, hot, dry summer we were promised last year by BOM? Eyeroll Hmmm

Er, yeah, slight exaggeration. The weather app on my smartphone was predicting "rain and snow" last night, but we've had neither, and according to the BBC's weather forecast, it's currently 5 C where I am (I'm indoors with the heating on, so I can't tell) and the overnight low for tonight and the next couple of nights is 0 C (freezing point) but nothing below that. But the Daily Express is known for more sensationalism than accuracy in its news reporting, so it wouldn't surprise me if they can't get the weather right either. Tongue  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 9:05 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

We have pretty much identical weather here, @stargazer, as is not surprising for our respective areas. On Monday, February 26, Ontario Storm Watch posted this:

Get ready for a wild weather ride, Ontario! The old saying will hold true this week: "If you don't like the weather in Ontario, just wait five minutes—it'll change!" And change it will, with a full spectrum of seasons unfurling over the next 48 hours.

And how true that was ... and is presently, as well. Note the following chart (in Celsius). Where we are (two hours NE of Windsor, which is across the river from Detroit), the temp dropped lower than shown here, and may be not quite as high as on this chart.

May be an image of text that says

What a roller-coaster! The past couple of days we had snow (some areas 12-14"). Last night was near -10C / 14F; today is leaping up to near +10C / 50F. Monday is supposed to be breaking more heat records for our area this time of year, finally dropping to more seasonable temperatures on Tuesday, following. Giggle 'Tis the strangest winter in recent memory!

Personally, I and my family are still hoping for a couple more good snowstorms this new month of March, but so far, nothing of significance is forecast for the six days.We shall see as the month unfolds. March has arrived like a very peaceful and calm lamb today. But we love adventurous weather, so are sure hoping this changes. Bats eyes  

EDIT: There was such weird and beautiful—almost mysterious—light two mornings ago, as the sun rose in haze, before the snow began. It quite reminded me of that surreal solar eclipse lighting. I was fascinated by the views. Cameras could not capture the ethereal beauty. Then it passed an hour or so later, as dark clouds moved in with the snow. I read this haze blanketing our area was smoke from wildfires currently in Texas. (Stargazer spoke of this in his post above.) The smoke has traveled all the way up here to Ontario, "propelled by the recent cold front sweeping through the region. This smoke is situation higher in the atmosphere, so is unlikely to affect ground-level air quality". (Quote and info taken from Ontario Storm Watch)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 10:08 am
stargazer liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jo good heavens! I thought at first it wasn't so bad, then remembered it's Fahrenheit, not Celsius. Brr! 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 2:32 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

This morning the weather was sublime Down Under, "in the dungeon". A lovely, almost clear day, with a bit of a cooling nip in the air to suggest Autumn is indeed on its way. The sort of perfect, sparkling, Sunday morning which leaves me feeling glad to be alive. 

@Courtenay: But the Daily Express is known for more sensationalism than accuracy in its news reporting, so it wouldn't surprise me if they can't get the weather right, either.Tongue

That is true, but it seems all the UK tabloids can be like that, I've noticed. I normally get its sister publication, the weekly International Express for hubby to enjoy, and I have to admit it is good reading, thus the Daily Express. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 2, 2024 11:02 pm
Courtenay liked
johobbit
(@jo)

This past week started above seasonal for this time of year here in SW Ontario, but dropped a couple of nights ago to cooler temps, hovering around freezing at night and just above freezing during the day. A whole lot of rain is moving in tonight and all day tomorrow, with temperatures briefly climbing again (high single digits Celsius / late 40s F), then dropping to below freezing with flurries tomorrow night and periods of snow on Sunday.

Next week we are warming up again in the daytime hours to low double digits Celsius (low 50s F), so any snow that accumulates will be quickly gone (boohoo!). March is turning out to be another mild month. We often receive some great snowstorms this month, but this year it is not looking so hopeful as usual.

Nighttimes this coming week will be just above freezing (this weekend we are below freezing both Sat and Sun night), so still good for brisk-walking! Smile  

Such a strange and concerning winter here. There are concerns all over Ontario that we have not had our normal long deep freeze, which will no doubt affect both crops and insect life. Who knows what else?!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2024 2:40 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

It has been an easy winter this year in Michigan. It is still possible that we will get more snow, but so far the snowfall has been only a couple of inches. Some people like it, but I can’t help thinking that it isn’t something normal and the weather should be more like a real winter. It has happened before that we had a winter with very little snow. It does make me a little apprehensive that we might get a sudden change in weather. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 10, 2024 4:08 am
johobbit
(@jo)
Posted by: @narnian78

I can’t help thinking that it isn’t something normal and the weather should be more like a real winter.

Truly! There are many concerns about how this very abnormal winter will affect many aspects of the coming seasons.

I just had to pop on and gush about my walk this morning. Snow fell overnight, and as I was getting ready to walk out the door, big flakes were still falling. Very, very pretty. These slowed down, but the landscape is now all white again, with that beautiful, fresh covering of snow. This morning's walk was akin to late November, with a comfortably cold temperature (-5C / 23F), although with quite a windchill below that, particularly when walking west or north.

Everything was hushed, with heavy cloud cover, as we are expecting more flurries today. I saw one car, as everyone else was probably still sleeping, what with the 'spring ahead' time change. Giggle  

Tomorrow is to be a few degrees above freezing, no doubt melting the little snow we have, but mid-week we are rising to mid double digits Celsius (59F), before dropping again to low double digits (52F), with rain. Nighttimes are to be low single digits, so walking is still in store, yay!

The birds and plants are certainly wonder what is going on. I have snowdrops blooming, and even crocuses are starting to poke their heads out, as are some hostas and stonecrop. Today, however, they are all hunkering down, and are no doubt quite chilly in their earthy beds.

It was nice heading outside just after 6:30 this morning to a still dark sky. As I finished my walk (near 7:30), dawn was well on its way, with the sun rising now 7:43 a.m. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 10, 2024 5:53 am
Narnian78 liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That snow sounds lovely, Jo. We've only had two similar instances this winter, around Halloween and on Valentine's Day. We've received about a third of the average snowfall, raising serious concerns about the ongoing drought and wildfire danger.

Our temperatures are closer to normal (highs around freezing) and there is an outside chance of light snow later this week.

Most of the state remains under red flag warnings (the highest level of wildfire risk) due to desert-like relative humidity, no snow pack, high winds, and mostly-dead ground vegetation - all the ingredients needed for fires to start easily and spread quickly.

On the bright side, spring recreation businesses (like golf courses) are booming and some farmers have been able to work their fields at a time when the ground is usually still frozen and snow-covered.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 18, 2024 12:00 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
Posted by: @stargazer

Most of the state remains under red flag warnings (the highest level of wildfire risk) due to desert-like relative humidity, no snow pack, high winds, and mostly-dead ground vegetation - all the ingredients needed for fires to start easily and spread quickly.

Yikes! It will be interesting—as well as concerning—to see how things play out after this abnormally mild and non-snowy winter. For example, I heard that the number of ticks are supposed to be extra high this year. And that is only one outcome out of numerous possible negative effects.

We, too, have seen farmers out working their fields in February and early March when the weather was so mild, with no snow cover. Shocked That is unheard of. The news report the other day stated that for our area this was the mildest, non-snowiest winter on record.

However, this week winter is here with a vengeance. Giggle We have flurries, and even snow, falling every day with quite cold temperatures: daytimes are either just below or barely above freezing; nighttime temps vary from -2C (28.4F) to -10C (14F), with windchills. A grocery clerk quipped to me this morning that since we had spring most of our winter months, this current weather totally makes sense. Giggle It really is good to see everything white again, with the snow falling regularly. I don't know what next week holds, but I am just going to enjoy this while it lasts! Smile (Thankfully, we have not removed our snow tires yet!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2024 9:29 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I may have posted prematurely above. 😉

Our temperatures are around 50F/10C, but a strong storm is moving in and by morning our wind chills will be close to 0F/-17C. In addition, this storm, and another over the weekend, may drop up to 12 inches/300mm of snow north of here, and anywhere from 3-7 inches (75-180mm) of snow here in the Twin Cities - though models remain uncertain.  There may also be possibly heavy rain sometime next week. It's greatly-needed precipitation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2024 3:59 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Haha, yes, @stargazer, the weather has been so changeable.

We have a winter storm warning out for today. The snow began about an hour ago, and is already very pretty. I have to head into town just after noon, so am very grateful we decided to keep our winter tires on for awhile yet.

We have had flurries—sometimes very heavy—every day this week; today is fun culmination of all this winter weather. Our temperatures have been quite cold, so walking has been very invigorating! The sunrise this morning put the eastern sky on fire. It was stunning! "Red sky in the morning, sailors' warning".

Next week the temperatures will rise a bit above freezing during the day, often dropping to just below freezing at night. No snow in the forecast after tonight. But that does not mean we won't receive any more of the white stuff over the next month or so. Giggle  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2024 8:03 am
Page 12 / 13
Share: