Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 150 / 154
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @aileth

It's also fun to crunch through deep-looking snowdrifts, only to find it is mostly a thick layer of leaves mingled with the snow.

Grin

Posted by: @stargazer

It's been generally overcast here since November 7, though the sun made a brief appearance today. We had snow 7 days in a row,

I can ditto this pretty much exactly. Giggle But, yes, Buffalo, as well as 90 minutes+ north of us, are getting hammered. This makes me, yet again, long to move up there, near the beautiful, wild Bruce Peninsula (in between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay). Smile Now, they really have winters up there! Cool  

Posted by: @stargazer

Our snow isn't going anywhere just yet, as it will approach 0F/-17C overnight this weekend.

Here too! It is feeling more like January ... two months early. Giggle The cold weather continues, keeping the snow around. Very pretty. Although I think we are to reach -17C with the windchill, rather than air temp. But with this sustained snow in November (rather unusual for our area), Christmas lights are going up extra early this year. Giggle

I just checked the forecast, and it looks like into next week the temp will be rising a bit above freezing for a few days, then dropping again, with more snow in the forecast later next week.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : November 19, 2022 4:22 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

As noted above, we've had plenty of snow this season, though warm temperatures last weekend took care of almost all of it.

But right now we're getting an old-fashioned snowfall, 4-8 inches (100-200mm), blown by the north wind, with wind chills approaching 0F/-17C tonight. Nothing we can't handle, just a reminder that winter is never far away, especially this late in the year. This snow might hang around until April, though our fluctuating temperatures may yet melt it sooner.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : November 29, 2022 12:11 pm
johobbit liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I hear that California actually got quite a decent fall of snow. Meanwhile, summer has finally arrived down here. 

Posted : December 12, 2022 1:30 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

There is a major winter storm coming to our area for tomorrow and into Friday. Sure glad I picked up many of my Christmas groceries today so I can get started on some of the preparation Giggle ; Christmas gift shopping has been done for awhile. The winds will pick up tonight, with some rain starting overnight, changing briefly to freezing rain/drizzle, then as the temperature drops, snow will hit, and fall much of the day, evening, and then again early Friday. Maybe we will have a white Christmas. Here's hoping!

We had a lovely snowfall last weekend, which is still lying in some more sheltered spots. As I walk, I have areas where my running shoes crunch on the snow. (Love that sound!)

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : December 14, 2022 9:26 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That same winter storm is hitting parts of Minnesota and the Midwest. Parts of the North Shore of Lake Superior are expected to get 50 inches of snow, with blizzard conditions coming in off the lake. Here, we got some rain yesterday and are in the dry slot before the snow comes in tonight, but we're only expected to get 4-6 inches (100-150mm). It's warm right now (37F/3C), also keeping accumulations down but adding to the chance of slick roads as the snow melt freezes.

My Christmas shopping may have to wait until the storm passes this weekend, when the season's first real cold arrives (lows below 0F/-17C and single digit highs F/ around -10C).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : December 14, 2022 12:32 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I haven't been paying attention to the weather much lately. It's been chilly, but not that cold.

However! We have a massive cold front moving though in a few days. The HIGH this upcoming Thursday is supposed to be 5F/-15C. And for the first time that I even remember, we MIGHT have a white Christmas. ❄️ 

Posted : December 17, 2022 6:45 pm
johobbit liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That same cold front will guarantee a white Christmas here in Minnesota, with below-average temperatures over the next week (highs around 0F/-17C and lows around -10F/-23C) -  though not in record territory.

The large winter storm took its time passing by, with snow falling from December 13 to 17. We only received about 8 inches/200mm, but it was wet, heavy, "heart-attack" snow. Any snow remaining on streets and driveways will be hard as rock this week with the cold coming. Duluth received 2 feet (600mm) of lake-effect snow, and blizzard conditions persisted for several days in the Dakotas and northern Minnesota.

Posted : December 18, 2022 1:07 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

After a few very warm days here (28 C) we had rain all day yesterday. Sadly it rained out the wonderful new Christmas parade - which didn't have an alternative date this year. My theatre group was manning 'Alice in Wonderland', and I was to be the dormouse sitting in a large teacup.. Someone said with that rain I'd have been swimming in it!

Today it's drying out but cool. Summer is patchy in December. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : December 18, 2022 4:49 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Summer has been a washout so far, despite the rain having gone. Most days are mild, but cloudy, and I keep feeling rather cold. At least that is something to be grateful for, when it is not yet too hot, and when a Christmas dinner might seem quite delicious. 

Posted : December 18, 2022 8:29 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Happy solstice! The sun reaches its southernmost point in its annual journey at 2148 GMT (3.48pm in my time zone) today, beginning astronomical winter (or summer Down Under).

And it's coming in with a bang, with various storm warnings covering much of the northern US and southwestern Canada. Ten inches (254mm) of powder snow is expected here, but the big news is strong winds causing blizzard and whiteout conditions over the next few days, followed by plummeting temperatures (wind chills could reach -40F/C). Holiday travel could be treacherous for those caught in the cold, and major airlines have already waived their change/cancellation fees for this storm.

Posted : December 21, 2022 12:49 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

I'll be driving down to the United States to spend Christmas with some aunts/uncles/cousins I haven't seen since 2019.  Fortunately, my work gives us a paid week off next week. Unfortunately, there's supposed to be a huge snowstorm affecting our entire seaboard.  I can't imagine driving in that is going to be very much fun...don't want to cancel Christmas plans for a third year in a row, however!

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

Posted : December 21, 2022 4:33 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@stargazer solstice here was 10.47 am (Daylight saving time) today (22 Dec)

We are having mixed weather - it was sunny this morning with a brisk wind, then became cloudy; at 1pm I was picking a few ripe black raspberries (yes,  they are very dark when ripe), when a light shower started. Grr. Where is our summer?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : December 21, 2022 6:00 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

We are heading for freezing cold weather in Willamette River Valley in Oregon. They're expecting an ice storm and snow. It's going to feel like being in the far North (Canada, Greenland, Scandinavia, Russia, Alaska).

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : December 22, 2022 11:54 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

It's 20 F here in Seattle. Everything's frozen and slippery. Seattle has a lot of hills, low sunlight, and a lack of de-icing trucks, so except for highways and main arteries, it stays frozen until it melts.

Posted : December 22, 2022 12:05 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

@cobalt-jade, my brother lives just north of Seattle and has mentioned conditions there (and I've been there a few times for December snow and ice). The hills are definitely tricky under those conditions. It was something of an adjustment for him, since he's used to the more severe winters here in Minnesota, but also the army of equipment we have to clear the roads.

We got another 8 inches/200mm of snow yesterday. The roads here in town aren't bad, but the wind out in some rural areas is blowing the powder snow around, causing zero visibility and ground blizzard conditions. The current temperature is -7F/-22C, and it's not expected to get up to 0F until the weekend. Wind chills in the Dakotas are close to -50F/-46C. Dangerous conditions, to be sure, but not quite in record territory yet.

Posted : December 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Page 150 / 154
Share: