Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 138 / 138
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It has been very dry here this summer also, but we've gotten a little more rain the past few weeks.

Any extension of autumn here is usually welcomed, since it means winter begins a little later and there's no shortage of winter here in a normal year.

Our warm autumn weather ended today, with light rain, temperatures closer to average (around 60F/16C), and winds gusting over 46 mph/75 km/hr that blew a lot of the leaves down. I hope to make my annual orchard trip early next week, weather permitting.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 13, 2021 4:53 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
NarniaWeb Zealot

@Jasmine: It's crisp where I'm at in the state of Oregon... we're known for constant rain.

It is good to meet you. G'day!  Smile   It is a bit surprising to learn that Oregon was so rainy, when it abuts California, famous for being so dry & not far from deserts?  It is great to hear that now it is autumn that everyone has been getting a bit of rain now. 

It has been raining Down Here, in NSW. But though it has been warming up as a prelude to Summer, next month, the weather has taken some sharp downturns. We had another tornado around Armidale in NSW, plenty of hail & now a sharp wind, whipping up the thunderous clouds. On Monday it was so warm I removed the extra winter blanket to put into storage for next year. But then overnight I froze and on Wednesday, I promptly reinstated that blanket. We have been having wildly varying maximum temperatures from as low as 16 to as high as 26 degrees Celsius at midday. 

@Courtenay: Manchester — I'm southwest of the city centre, in Cheshire.

I hope it doesn't get too cold for you. I've a feeling that however cold it is in Manchester, it would be worse in Scotland, especially in Falkirk, where my husband came from. Maybe on your days off you would be able to explore the Lakes District or nearby Wales? Daydream  

@Courtenay: We're definitely into autumn now. I wonder what it'll be like over Christmas? (I had originally been hoping, some time ago, to be able to spend Christmas with my family in Australia, but with the ongoing COVID situation, it's not going to happen this year.)

No, you are right. Even with a change of Premier, & being out of lockdown for the double vaccinated there will be some complications for a while yet. In the league tables of Aussie vaccination statistics, ACT is leading the race, with figures of 98% double vaccinations, followed by New South Wales, already up to 77.7%, for double vaccinations & 91% single vaccinations. Victoria is lagging a little, at about 70%, double vaccinated, but they had about 2,000 new infections yesterday. The rest of Australia is a bit slower, including Queensland. At the moment it is harder to cross the border into Queensland than it is to consider a holiday in Fiji, would you believe? Anyway, cheers! And do make sure you have a nice Christmas in UK. Hug

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1QDQp ... N3dGM/view

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2021 10:42 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

...varying maximum temperatures from as low as 16 to as high as 26 degrees Celsius at midday. 

As it happens, that's a good description of our weather this month. There is a cool rain falling right now; it's welcome as we remain in drought. (Last year on this date we were looking at 8 inches/200mm of fresh snow).

But much of this month has been spectacular, with crisp warm days and cool clear nights - great for leaf-peeping and stargazing. The season's first frost is late this year but may finally come this weekend.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2021 1:09 pm
Page 138 / 138
Share: