Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 138 / 154
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It has been very dry here this summer also, but we've gotten a little more rain the past few weeks.

Any extension of autumn here is usually welcomed, since it means winter begins a little later and there's no shortage of winter here in a normal year.

Our warm autumn weather ended today, with light rain, temperatures closer to average (around 60F/16C), and winds gusting over 46 mph/75 km/hr that blew a lot of the leaves down. I hope to make my annual orchard trip early next week, weather permitting.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : October 13, 2021 4:53 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

@Jasmine: It's crisp where I'm at in the state of Oregon... we're known for constant rain.

It is good to meet you. G'day!  Smile   It is a bit surprising to learn that Oregon was so rainy, when it abuts California, famous for being so dry & not far from deserts?  It is great to hear that now it is autumn that everyone has been getting a bit of rain now. 

It has been raining Down Here, in NSW. But though it has been warming up as a prelude to Summer, next month, the weather has taken some sharp downturns. We had another tornado around Armidale in NSW, plenty of hail & now a sharp wind, whipping up the thunderous clouds. On Monday it was so warm I removed the extra winter blanket to put into storage for next year. But then overnight I froze and on Wednesday, I promptly reinstated that blanket. We have been having wildly varying maximum temperatures from as low as 16 to as high as 26 degrees Celsius at midday. 

@Courtenay: Manchester — I'm southwest of the city centre, in Cheshire.

I hope it doesn't get too cold for you. I've a feeling that however cold it is in Manchester, it would be worse in Scotland, especially in Falkirk, where my husband came from. Maybe on your days off you would be able to explore the Lakes District or nearby Wales? Daydream  

@Courtenay: We're definitely into autumn now. I wonder what it'll be like over Christmas? (I had originally been hoping, some time ago, to be able to spend Christmas with my family in Australia, but with the ongoing COVID situation, it's not going to happen this year.)

No, you are right. Even with a change of Premier, & being out of lockdown for the double vaccinated there will be some complications for a while yet. In the league tables of Aussie vaccination statistics, ACT is leading the race, with figures of 98% double vaccinations, followed by New South Wales, already up to 77.7%, for double vaccinations & 91% single vaccinations. Victoria is lagging a little, at about 70%, double vaccinated, but they had about 2,000 new infections yesterday. The rest of Australia is a bit slower, including Queensland. At the moment it is harder to cross the border into Queensland than it is to consider a holiday in Fiji, would you believe? Anyway, cheers! And do make sure you have a nice Christmas in UK. Hug

Posted : October 14, 2021 10:42 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

...varying maximum temperatures from as low as 16 to as high as 26 degrees Celsius at midday. 

As it happens, that's a good description of our weather this month. There is a cool rain falling right now; it's welcome as we remain in drought. (Last year on this date we were looking at 8 inches/200mm of fresh snow).

But much of this month has been spectacular, with crisp warm days and cool clear nights - great for leaf-peeping and stargazing. The season's first frost is late this year but may finally come this weekend.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : October 20, 2021 1:09 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

After a few days of gorgeous fall weather, we've finally have had some cold weather start to move in. A couple mornings ago our neighbor's roof was frosty. And I don't think it ever made it out of the 40Fs today. Winter is definitely around the corner!

I might also add that Halloween night was just warm enough to trick or treat comfortably in costumes. 😉 

Posted : November 2, 2021 3:42 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Our weather has also shifted into fall. On Monday, I saw the season's first snow (a few little pellets) while I was out and about.  Northeast Minnesota received more, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan reported at least 6 inches (152mm) of lake-effect snow.

But warm weather is trying to hang on.  This weekend, we could reach 60F/16C, just in time for the end of daylight saving time (I find the most noticeable effect is sunset: by Sunday, the sun will set here by 4.52 pm, only about 20 minutes later than the earliest sunset of the year, which comes around December 7).

Posted : November 3, 2021 4:36 pm
Eagle Scout
(@eagle-scout)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @stargazer

Our weather has also shifted into fall.

Oh if only I could say the same...

Here in Central Illinois, all of October was 60 to 80 degrees... with 80% humidity most of the time. There was very little desire to do anything outside when it felt sticky and gross. When the humidity wasn't high, it was usually because it was raining.

And then as soon as November hit we dropped to 33 to 40 degrees... sweater weather is a plus I suppose, but I would have appreciated maybe some light-flannel weather before getting to that point?

memento mori

Posted : November 7, 2021 4:24 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @eagle-scout

but I would have appreciated maybe some light-flannel weather before getting to that point?

While we had a wonderful autumn this year, there are other years when our weather does that - air conditioning to heating in about 24 hours. But it seems to me that we're more likely to have those quick transitions (in reverse) in spring - snow in April followed by the heat of summer.

We got some much-needed rain the past few days, with a hint of snow. But western Minnesota and the Dakotas got hit with nearly hurricane-force winds, snow, and whiteout conditions this week, from the big low-pressure area now near Lake Superior (another 'gales of November' type storm). This one is big - Winnipeg got a foot of snow and rain from this storm extended south to Texas.

Our turn for snow is coming, maybe before we get these wet leaves raked up...

Posted : November 12, 2021 10:40 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Ugh @eagle-scout, that humidity sounds quite uncomfortable. How is your weather these days, now in mid-November? Did you receive that light-flannel feel at all?

Good gracious, that wintry snow-dump on Winnipeg is Shocked , @stargazer! Which is why Winnipeg is known here as "Winterpeg". Giggle The photos I saw were quite something.

Posted by: @stargazer

Our turn for snow is coming, maybe before we get these wet leaves raked up...

Wishful thinking for your area and ours. Giggle We had our first snowfall yesterday, with a snow squall forecast in effect all day today and into tonight. Many leaves have yet to fall, and while I love both colourful Autumn leaves and fresh white snow, it is a bit messy and wet when they're mixed together. Tongue This happened last year, as well.

But when I was walking early this morning, it was as if I were in a snow globe. Everything from the smallest twig to the largest tree was coated in snow. Absolutely magical! Of course any snowfall always puts me in mind of Lucy when she first steps into Narnia through the wardrobe. Grin We have flurries continuing tomorrow, then a sudden and brief rise in temperature on Wednesday to early teens Celsius (mid 50s F), which will melt much of the white stuff, and back to seasonal on Thursday.

Here are some photos from this morning, taken in the dawn's early light:

https://postimg.cc/yJSRxxRq

https://postimg.cc/ygmShGnv

https://postimg.cc/6TKZ695S

https://postimg.cc/phbFFvQm

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : November 15, 2021 6:51 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Now we're getting into cooler weather in the Eugene area in the state of Oregon. We've been having a dry summer in the last couple of years. In the year of 2020, the state of Oregon suffered wildfires. Thankfully, Lane County was not affected. It wasn't as bad this summer, but it was dry. Now we're into cooler weather. Even now, we're getting heavy rain (as Oregon's been known for).

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : November 15, 2021 9:08 am
fantasia liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@Jasmine: Even now, we're getting heavy rain (as Oregon's been known for).

I'm glad to see that you are getting your normal share of heavy rain. Wink  

We've had a rather odd spring, with belated heavy rain, which resulted in a partial dam collapse out West in NSW, along the Lachlan River, and with severe flooding expected today. Yesterday was so cold, with temperatures going from 14 Celsius, minimum, to barely 20 Celsius max, so we were getting back into winter clothes, that we had barely discarded for summer only a week earlier. I've not seen such a cool spring for decades. 

I've been wondering how Courtenay is getting along, as UK's late autumn seemed to be rather cold as well. 

Posted : November 15, 2021 9:42 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Speaking of rain.... Our overheated, summer-parched, drought-ridden area is finally getting some of it--a little too much of it, maybe.  We are at the downwind tail of an "atmospheric river," as they are calling it, that hit Vancouver.  All of the highways out of Vancouver are closed--mudslides, bridges washed out, etc.  Lots of flooding, and a couple of towns nearby are evacuated because of it.  Not surprising, really.  They predicted 150mm of rain and got 230--about 9 inches.

First fires, then floods; a reversal of our normal order, which is floods, then fires.  Our town is protected by dikes--if the dikes hold.  If not, we are going to be very, very wet.  The river was quite low for the season, and is now in some places only four feet from the top of the dike--a gain of 15-20 feet since yesterday.  We have seen some pretty skookum spring floods, but when my brother and I took a tour tonight, we agreed that we have never seen it so high.  It was beautiful--a wide milky lake filling the whole riverbed from bank to bank, sparkling in the moonlight.  Terrifying, too.  Nothing would live in that current. 

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : November 16, 2021 12:07 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Our local news channels have had some coverage of the BC flooding. At first, I thought the anchor misspoke when he said that Vancouver was cut off, until they showed video of the flooding and roads washing out. Apparently the heavy rain and flooding extends southward into Washington.  Stay safe!

Here, it's just windy. Most of the snow is gone, sublimated by the winds, but it's cloudy (typical for November) - but some years we have mountains of snow by now and this year we still have leaves on the trees.

Posted : November 16, 2021 11:44 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I am drooling over our weather of late. We're on the typical south Texas roller coaster. Cold front in... 70F something for the highs. 40 somethings for the lows for a day or two. Back to low 80s by day 3. But it's dry. Doesn't bode well for wildflowers in March and April, but it's been amazing outside. 

Posted : November 17, 2021 8:09 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@Aileth: First fires, then floods; a reversal of our normal order, which is floods,thenfires.  Our town is protected by dikes--if the dikes hold.  If not, we are going to be very,verywet. 

I hope those floods have subsided by now. We have had quite a bit of rain, ourselves, so far, with floods in Forbes in New South Wales' Western Plains, ruining crops, unfortunately. The Southern Hemisphere summer weather report in Eastern Australia is for a rather gloomy 50 shades of grey summer, with afternoon storms and with dams all full and the ground saturated, an increased chance of more flooding.

We are having a second La Niña effect in Eastern Australia, but I don't know how that will affect the rest of the world. It usually means drought across the Pacific in Peru or even Brazil. The up side of this La Niña Southern Oscillation, here, at any rate, is that there is a reduced chance of bushfires, and milder temperatures than we had in the past decade. 

Posted : November 23, 2021 3:36 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Meteorological winter begins in less than 2 hours here, but the weather hasn't received the memo quite yet. Temperatures yesterday reached 54F/12C, and tomorrow (Dec. 1) may be even warmer. Amazing!

The weekend will be cooler with a chance of precipitation, but whether it's snow or rain or some combination isn't clear yet. We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Posted : November 30, 2021 9:23 pm
Page 138 / 154
Share: