Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 135 / 154
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Glad you're about to get a break from the heat, @jo.  That is not the case here just yet. Today set another record high of 96F/36C, and tomorrow may be warmer. It may be a tiny bit cooler by the weekend, but the humidity is ramping up.

Very grateful for air conditioning!

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : June 9, 2021 4:28 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

In the wee hours of this morning the cold did arrive, a cold rainy day to set us shivering, even indoors. At nearby Campbelltown, it was 0C & just as bad here. Husband who was up early claims he even felt a few snowflakes in them raindrops. I remember a similar day a few decades ago, which suggested sleet rather than snow, but what would I know? 

Is he joking or what?

Posted : June 9, 2021 6:06 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Yesterday was soooo funny. It's been crazy hot and humid here lately (hot isn't unusual, the humidity is), but we had a 20% chance for storms as a dry line moved across the state. I figured there was no way we were going to get storms with a chance that low, but sure enough, last night as my husband was outside setting up our pool for the summer, the storms blew up right on top of us. LOL And they were hot... lots of thunder and lightning and almost an inch of rain. Grin We didn't get anything damaging here, but not terribly far away someone clocked 92mph wind gusts. Shocked  

Anyways, today is back to being hot, but far less humid. We finished filling the pool just a bit ago so we are officially ready for summer. Woohoo!

Posted : June 12, 2021 10:28 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

A pool sounds great! Some friends here looked for one last weekend but couldn't find a suitable one.

We're extremely dry here but there have been those pop-up storms like that one, fantasia. A town about an hour from here had lots of downed trees but not a drop of rain or any wind here.

Yesterday was the 9th straight day of 90F or above, good enough for third place in that category (number 1 is 14 days back in the Dust Bowl). Whether we will continue that today is uncertain.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : June 12, 2021 10:56 am
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

August found us a bit early. We hit 95F today with a feels like of 105f. Gotta love that coastal humidity! Ah well. We didn't hit 90 except once before June and that is extremely weird.

Posted : June 12, 2021 5:37 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

It is icy cold here, especially last Thursday, when the temperature sank to 10C maximum, & 3C minimum or thereabouts. But it remains dry in Sydney, in marked contrast to further south.  Down in Victoria they have been having floods around Yallourn, where the hazelnut crop has been destroyed by the floodwaters. The snowfields of the Australian Alps are celebrating  wonderful ski conditions from the recent snow, which also fell by yesterday from Victoria, upwards to the Queensland border, along the Great Dividing Range. 

Posted : June 12, 2021 6:42 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

*hands @waggawerewolf27 a hot water bottle* But hurrah for the excellent ski conditions!

Yay for that pool, @fantasia. Really great for kids (and for parents! Giggle ) But quite the pop-up storm, wow!

Whew Whew @starkat! Stay hydrated!

@stargazer, how is that heat in MN?

Here, we had a couple of warmer days on the weekend, but once again things have settled down to even below normal late June temperatures: very pleasant with high teens / low 20s Celsius during the daytime hours and 6 or 7°C at night. This evening, however, that is changing, as a more seasonable front comes through, bringing a bit of humidity back for a couple of days, and then more comfy beginning on Saturday. And lots of rain. Every day for nearly the next week, from the forecast. *loves rain, particularly thunderstorms*

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : June 23, 2021 10:07 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

*sends heat to wagga*

We had a brief break from the heat on Monday (with a high of 69F/21C and low humidity, it was the coolest day in 3 weeks) and yesterday, but the heat is on again today with humidity building from the Gulf (back to "air you can wear.").

I've enjoyed being outside the past few days, with the cool crisp evenings lit by a nearly-full moon, but I'm hiding indoors a few days until the humidity passes).

Posted : June 23, 2021 10:49 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That second warm spell has passed, and our weather is more seasonable now. But more heat is expected by the weekend as the heat from the Pacific Northwest comes our way.

That heat there is amazing, especially since lots of homes don't have air conditioning since it's usually a temperate climate. Seattle and Portland are setting all-time temperature records around 110F/43C (75F/24C is more typical for this time of year).

The small town of Lytton, BC has bragging rights: On Sunday, Lytton, British Columbia, recorded the highest temperature ever in Canada's history as the thermometer soared to 116 F (46.6 C). The previous record for all of Canada was 113 F (45 C), set on July 5, 1937, in Midale and Yellowgrass, Saskatchewan.

I have trouble even imagining such temperatures.  Giggle  

I hear the wonderful sound of rain outside, very welcome in our drought.

Posted : June 28, 2021 1:12 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @stargazer

The small town of Lytton, BC has bragging rights: On Sunday, Lytton, British Columbia, recorded the highest temperature ever in Canada's history as the thermometer soared to 116 F (46.6 C). The previous record for all of Canada was 113 F (45 C), set on July 5, 1937, in Midale and Yellowgrass, Saskatchewan.

Oh my word, 46.6 C is only slightly under the hottest day I've ever endured — 47.something in Melbourne (on Black Saturday, 2009... Wagga will know what I mean Sad  ) — and I'm saying that as an Aussie!!

Seriously, my thoughts are with everyone in Canada and NW USA — I hope you're coping OK and staying as cool as you can, and I hope there'll be a break in the weather soon. Whew  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : June 29, 2021 6:04 am
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Well, that record didn't last long:

Monday, June 28th 2021, 10:31 pm - Lytton, B.C., has done it again and set another new record for Canada's hottest temperature after hitting (47.9°C) on Monday, ousting its previous record that lasted for less than 24 hours.

We live not too far from there, and is it hot?  Just a little Giggle .  It is rather interesting(!) to step outside just after the sun goes down, and think, Oh, it's nice and cool, and then to realize that it is still 40C--our usual high temperature for July and August.  Yesterday we saw 45C/113F, which I personally have never seen before.  And not a cloud in sight; talk about brazen skies.

As we are a desert community, most people have some form of AC.  Ours is not quite holding its own, but at least it helps a bit.  Nights are the worst, as they don't cool down enough to make it comfortable to sleep.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : June 29, 2021 10:20 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That's amazing, aileth! I found a Vancouver news article noting that Lytton temperature is slightly higher than the all-time high in Las Vegas (47.2C) - a desert city for sure. Keep cool!

That heat will gradually work its way east, arriving here just in time for the July 4 weekend, though we're not likely to get as warm as these temps.

Posted : June 29, 2021 12:34 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Posted by: @aileth

Well, that record didn't last long:

Monday, June 28th 2021, 10:31 pm - Lytton, B.C., has done it again and set another new record for Canada's hottest temperature after hitting (47.9°C) on Monday, ousting its previous record that lasted for less than 24 hours.

We live not too far from there, and is it hot?  Just a little Giggle .  It is rather interesting(!) to step outside just after the sun goes down, and think, Oh, it's nice and cool, and then to realize that it is still 40C--our usual high temperature for July and August.  Yesterday we saw 45C/113F, which I personally have never seen before.  And not a cloud in sight; talk about brazen skies.

As we are a desert community, most people have some form of AC.  Ours is not quite holding its own, but at least it helps a bit.  Nights are the worst, as they don't cool down enough to make it comfortable to sleep.

Ouch! Those temperatures don't sound at all like one would expect in Canada, desert or not. I do hope you get a break soon, before you all melt away. Worried Hug  

We did have a rainy patch but it is icily dry with low minimum temperatures around 0-4C or thereabouts, with morning frost. It is mid-winter here, so such minimums must be expected. At the moment the Pacific La Nina we had last summer is receding, whilst the Indian Ocean Diode is increasingly in negative. I don't know what that means for the rest of the world.

@Courtenay: Oh my word, 46.6 C is only slightly under the hottest day I've ever endured — 47.something in Melbourne (on Black Saturday, 2009... Wagga will know what I mean Sad  ) — and I'm saying that as an Aussie!!

Yes I do remember that day . Even in the backblocks of Sydney, well away from the 2009 Black Saturday at the time, I remember it as a really horrible day. Since then we had to get our AC updated, not that we haven't had really hot days since. At the beginning of last year, we had an all time high of 48.9 C on 4th January, in Penrith, on the outskirts of Sydney, in one of the best locations to live in, in Australia, and which is not desert at all. At the time, though it was the Black Summer of 2019-2020 with the place reeking of bushfire smoke.

Anyway, all the best. I hope that heat wave isn't repeated too often, or is too widespread. I heard of some sort of heat bubble in the northern Pacific? 

Posted : July 4, 2021 5:34 am
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

Ouch! Those temperatures don't sound at all like one would expect in Canada, desert or not. I do hope you get a break soon, before you all melt away.

We finally had rain yesterday, after a long dry spell; not enough to lower the fire danger much, but at least there's hope.  And we're down to a more reasonable temperature now: 33C, which, while still hot, is considerably cooler than the other.  Even 45C is rather exceptional for us later in the summer; what has been particularly unusual this year is that the heat is a month earlier than normal.  Hate to think what it might be like in August.

Lytton, the town that just burnt almost completely, is hotter and drier than our area; unlike that portion of the Fraser Canyon, we have a lot of irrigated fields and orchards to moderate things.  When our mountain was on fire three years ago, we were not really in much danger, though on evacuation alert; we had a decent buffer zone of green to protect us.  Quite the fire show, though.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : July 4, 2021 8:44 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @stargazer

I've enjoyed being outside the past few days, with the cool crisp evenings lit by a nearly-full moon,

Beeaauuutiful! Star  

Posted by: @aileth

Lytton, the town that just burnt almost completely, is hotter and drier than our area;

This made me so sad. Those poor Lytton residents. Sad That town has to begin all over again, from what I read.

I'm sure glad your excessive heat has broken, aileth. I can't fathom temperatures like that!

Here, we had two too-warm days (Monday and Tuesday), with thick, very hot, still air (40C / 104F humidex), which is mighty hot for this area, 'though not unusual for July. What is unusual is that it broke after two days: we anticipate thunderstorms Grin and lots of rain later today and into tomorrow, lowering the temperatures to comfy air (below mid 20sC), with no humidex at all over the next few days, hurrah! I haven't even been able to garden the past two days, given the heat, so am itching to get out there and tackle the plants and soil again. Grin They're all looking great, but need a bit of weeding, etc. Smile   More rain is forecast early next week. This is not normal for us in July, for it is this month that usually has two-three weeks of heat-heat-heat and no rain. Thankfully not this year thus far!

Stay warm, @waggawerewolf27! That Black Sunday sounds awful, wagga and @Courtenay! Shocked  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : July 7, 2021 7:30 am
Page 135 / 154
Share: