Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Costuming and Cosplay: Projects, Ideas, Daydreams, and Cons

Page 3 / 3
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I like cosplay, although I wouldn't consider myself proficient at it.

So far I have done two versions of a dryad--summer and fall--a Steampunk-inspired cat girl character, a sort of rushed version of Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova from Babylon 5, and multiple drafts of Princess Luna from My Little Pony, using the same base dress and changing up the accessories and makeup. One of the times I was Luna I had my sister Celestia with me, and one of those times I was traveling with my evil side, Nightmare Moon.

I intend to do another MLP-inspired cosplay this summer - Twilight Sparkle's older brother, noble unicorn knight and prince-consort Shining Armor. I am really looking forward to trying to build costume armor for him, as it will be my first time working with such large props.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2023 4:49 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I didn't know we had a cosplay thread here! It's not something I've ever done much of, at least as an adult — though about 12 years ago (back when I lived in Melbourne) I went to a sing-along screening of The Sound of Music dressed as one of the goats from the Lonely Goatherd song. Giggle   When my sister and I were in primary school, though, it was a different matter, as we usually had at least one whole-school dress-up day every year, and our dad, who's a retired art teacher, was fabulous at making costumes. One year the theme was "come as your favourite storybook character" — I'm pretty sure this was when I was 11 — and so, since my favourite books were the Chronicles of Narnia, I naturally went as Aslan. Grin   I wore a light yellow woolly jumper and trousers in a similar colour (can't remember where we got either of them — borrowed from one of my cousins, I'm guessing, as I know I didn't have any clothes of my own in suitable colours), and Dad made me a whole-head-covering mask out of cardboard, with a 3D muzzle painted yellow and a mane made out of strips of yellow crepe paper. It was fantastic and I had so much fun wearing that costume, especially since, because no-one could see my face, everyone was asking "Who's that??" Wink  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2023 5:36 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Oh gosh I wasn't even counting childhood costumes! Not that my childhood costumes tended to be very elaborate...

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2023 6:36 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I have my crafting supplies for Shining Armor! I'm so pumped. I have loads of foam core and metal foil and acrylic paints and spray paint and spray glaze and a new exacto knife, jewelry chains and metal wire and plastic gems and little bits of carved decorative wood, brass beads and brass eyelets and elastic band and black leather cord, and two sorts of glue and dimensional squeeze-bottle fabric paint and tiny doll's house mirrors, and a grand plan, and a lot of hope.

I still need my shirt and trousers, my wig, my gloves, and my horn.

I have my little brother's old satiny white cape in the back of the closet, and I only need to do a touch of repair on the bottom hem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2023 9:27 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Operation: transform into a noble unicorn knight is underway!! I have wig/gloves/horn on order, and finally drew up design concepts for my armor and jewelry! I think it will be *neat* - kinda whimsical, kinda flashy, and some little visual nods built in to the nations and people my character loves. 

I still need to get the basic clothes for the underlayer of the outfit, some coordinated socks, and extra safety pins just to be sure, and do a touch of hem repair on my cape. Other than that we're finally down to brass tacks on actual crafting time...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2023 4:20 am
Lu_valient
(@lu_valient)
NarniaWeb Nut

Just found this thread, yay! I've been working on a Captain Carter cosplay lately from Dr. Strange. Hopefully it will be done in time to wear it the first weekend of June.

made by katherine

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 3:37 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: