Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Awards Season 2010: The Road to the Oscars

Page 3 / 3
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Time to bump this up as tonight's Oscar show nears its end!

Awards of note include:

Best Animated Picture: UP

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker (which won 6 awards).

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Star Trek received the nod in the makeup department, and Avatar received a total of 3 awards.

A complete list appears on the imdb homepage.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : March 7, 2010 4:59 pm
Gymfan15
(@gymfan15)
NarniaWeb Podcaster Moderator Emeritus

You're saying that the quality of the movies Pixar makes is the reason Up was nominated. Isn't that the same thing as saying Up was nominated because it's Pixar?

The way you write yes, it's the same thing. But that's not what I mean at all.
Basically the Academy has been biased to Animated movies, having only one in the past be nominated for BP: Beauty and the Beast.
Many would argue that several of Pixar movies deserved the distinction, not just WALL E. But none has received it, but at least got screenplay and such.
What I meant was that Academy couldn't ignore animation for this category for ever,
I used Pixar as the example there since we're speaking of Up, and basically Pixar is the best Animation Company out now.

Up is a terrific movie, just not BP worthy IMO.
I'll shut it now.

This is a bit random, but I'm of the opinion that Up has gotten such critical praise and awards simply because of the pure genius that was the first ten minutes of the film. While I think Wall-E was a better film overall, you couldn't get past the brilliance that was the first half of Up and I think that, plus the enlarged Best Movie category this year, was what gave Up the more prestigious nod. If Wall-E had been released this year, or if they'd had 10 slots last year, I've no doubt it would have been nominated for Best Picture.

Anyway, a big huge whoop whoop for Up taking home Best Animated and Best Score! Again, probably won purely because of the musical montage at the beginning. ;) But Michael Giacchino is a genius, so you couldn't really argue with that!

Spareoom.net

Posted : March 7, 2010 6:15 pm
FencerforJesus
(@fencerforjesus)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here is a rare feat. Sandra Bullock pulled off winning a Razzie and an Oscar in the same year for Worst and Best Actress. Others have done it in separate years, but never before (TMK) in the same year.

Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.

Posted : March 8, 2010 12:53 pm
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Time to bump this up as tonight's Oscar show nears its end!

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker (which won 6 awards).

I've never heard of that movie. :-o Lol. I didn't watch the oscars because I don't think i've seen any of the movies, except for a couple lol.

Posted : March 8, 2010 1:56 pm
bkey
 bkey
(@bkey)
NarniaWeb Nut

I must say, I'm very glad The Hurt Locker won Best Picture. It was obviously a two-film race between it and Avatar, but in my opinion the right film won. It's also great to see a woman (Kathryn Bigelow) take home the Best Director award for the first time. Overall, it wasn't too surprising of a night, but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

Topic starter Posted : March 8, 2010 6:45 pm
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Gah, I'm really behind on this thread :P

I pretty much enjoyed watching the Oscars, although nobody I wanted to win won. I was mainly reallyreally hoping that Carey Mulligan would win best actress, or that An Education would win something, and neither of them did. :( I wasn't dying for Sandra to win either, but I didn't not want her to win so I didn't really care... :P

As for Best Picture, I haven't seen The Hurt Locker but I was okay with it winning. I was just glad it wasn't Avatar...which I'm not a fan of in case you couldn't tell ;))

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : March 22, 2010 8:49 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: