Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Which Narnian villan is the best representation of Satan?

Page 1 / 2
PuddleCheep
(@puddlecheep)
NarniaWeb Regular

In answer to my question above, I believe Tash is the best potrayal of the devil. The WW and LotGK are pretty close but Miraz I think is more of a worker of the main evil one in the world of Narnia.

Tash is worshiped as a god, a god that turns out to be real. The Chalormines worship him like some people worship Satan. Tash is not like a spirit of the water but an almost unlimited being. He's someone no one but Aslan can destroy. Plus when Peter tells Tash to take Rishta to his own place, I believe he takes him to the Narnian version and the real world of Hell in our world.

What do you all think?

Topic starter Posted : June 14, 2011 5:52 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

None of them are close to Satan. Tash has elements of his character, as do the others. Tash is a lesser demon.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : June 15, 2011 10:58 pm
Louloudi the Centaur
(@louloudi-the-centaur)
Member Hospitality Committee

I agree with PuddleCheep. Tash with no exceptions. He seems to have his own country that is an equivilent to hell, because at the end of The Last Battle, Aslan sent all those who didn't follow him to an umentioned place. He was worshiped like some people worship Satan. He also seemed to devour people like Aslan can.

I believe the other villains of Narnia(White Witch, Lady of the Green Kirtle, etc.) are rather demons or just rebel against Aslan or are evil(like Miraz). For example, Jadis/White Witch, is part Giant and part Jinn. However, Tash, is... what is Tash? Tash has to be the best representation of Satan.

Posted : June 16, 2011 9:28 am
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
(@dernhelm_of_rohan)
NarniaWeb Nut

Evil is always hard to compare to other evils, because... how evil is really evil? :)

I voted that none of them are really a complete representation. Jadis enters Narnia even before it's creation, brought by a Son of Adam. Later, she tempts Digory to eat a forbidden apple. That's like Satan in the garden of Eden. Still later on, she holds Edmund captive for his "sin" of betrayal, and Aslan must sacrifice himself to save the lost Pevensie.

The LOTGK lures Prince Rillian away from his family, his home, and really, himself. She transforms him into her "toy and lap-dog... pawn and tool". Satan can also use corrupted people for his purposes, even though, in the end, nothing happens outside of God's control.

Tash is the most obvious choice, because he's worshiped and sacrificed to, but he's straight-forward evil. There's no subtlety, no mastery of persuasion and lies. He's simply a monster.

As for Miraz, I think he qualifies for a cowardly tyrant. That's about it. ;)

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : June 17, 2011 4:06 am
Aravis Narnia
(@aravis-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

I put Other. Why? Because they are all minions. Minions of the evil head honcho.

Tash is one of the deities under a clearly polytheistic system. Some pagan polytheistic religions have evil (or at least not so good or nice) deities in them. Another proof why there is no way Calormen people could be Muslim.

Jadis and the Green Lady seem more like the minions of the head bad guy under Judaism and Christianity. But they are still minions and not the big boss.

And Miraz is a human being who got corrupted and used his free will that was taken over by weaknesses.

So none of the above.

Posted : June 19, 2011 2:52 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

I voted for Jadis. Really, all of them, I think, (except for Miraz) was being used by Lewis as a representation of Satan. But Jadis I think had more of Satan's qualities than any of the others. All of the evil in Narnia originated from Jadis when she entered that world in MN. And, like Satan, she tried to tempt a human with an apple, just like in the Garden of Eden in our own world.

~Riella =:)

Posted : June 19, 2011 7:25 pm
Lilygloves
(@lilygloves)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think Jadis was Lewis's original representation of satan, but Tash seems the closest. Aslan says that they are opposites, and the opposite of Jesus is satan.

Posted : June 22, 2011 12:03 pm
Evelyn
(@evelyn)
NarniaWeb Regular

I don't think Lewis ment for any of them to repersent Satan.
Besides, you can't really compare Satan to God at all- God is so much bigger than him and more powerful!
Lilygloves I'm going to disagree with you that the opposite of Satan is Jesus. Satan is only a fallen angel. Jesus is the son of God! The creator! Satan's opposite (if we had to choose someone) would probably be Micheal, the head arch-angel. (He is mentioned, I just don't know where.)

I've always thought as Tash being the closest to Satan, but I don't think you can really compare the two.

Merry Christmas!

"I'm here to save Elizabeth!" ~ Will Turner

Posted : June 30, 2011 5:02 am
MinotaurforAslan
(@minotaurforaslan)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Tash is technically the closest to Satan, the White Witch felt the most like Satan, but none of them really are like Satan, as others have said.

Tash doesn't feel like Satan to me because he is worshipped in a separate religion by a giant empire. I suppose you can argue if you want that much of this world worships Satan :P it's not done as directly and by name as Tash is in the Chronicles. When I first read HHB, Tash reminded me of the Hindu gods (based on his physical description).

Posted : July 11, 2011 8:06 pm
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

I don't think that Lewis meant for any of them to represent Satan. Certainly they take on aspects of Satan's character at times, but at no point does Lewis expressly state within the books or outside of them that a character represents Satan.

Posted : July 21, 2011 2:48 am
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
(@dernhelm_of_rohan)
NarniaWeb Nut

Lilygloves I'm going to disagree with you that the opposite of Satan is Jesus. Satan is only a fallen angel. Jesus is the son of God! The creator!

Absolutely right, Evelyn. Even the Hebrew language proves this. In archaic Hebrew, names add up to numbers. As everyone knows, Satan's (and man's) number is 666. It's fairly obvious that the number for God (or Yaweh) is 777. But the number for Jesus (Yeshua) is 888. Somehow, Jesus is more God than God. That makes it pretty hard to put Satan as his opposite. ;)

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : August 6, 2011 6:37 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

^^ Where did you get the number 888? And how is Jesus more God than God?

~Riella =:)

Posted : August 8, 2011 7:56 pm
Aravis Narnia
(@aravis-narnia)
NarniaWeb Nut

Just Google 88 to find out what it stands for. Not a good thing. Hint- H is letter number 8 in the alphabet.

Anyhow, in the Christian Kabbalah, Yeshua's number is 4. Not sure if they are implying that Yeshua was a 4 in the Enneagram- honestly, I do not think the Enneagram is biased (as compared to the Myers-Briggs being biased towards ENFJ because that is what the Protagonist of the second half of the world's best selling Book is :) .

Posted : August 12, 2011 5:17 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Kabbalah is Jewish mysticism and absolute bunk. Jewish beliefs do not marry with occult practices.

As for 888 representing Jesus, sorry, that just sounds ridiculous.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : August 12, 2011 7:52 pm
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

I feel the WW in LWW is the most like Satan. I think I feel that way because I think LWW is the most allegorical of the stories. Its easy to see the WW as Satan when Aslan dies and rises after. However, I don't feel any of the villians are a direct substitution for Satan. I feel that every villian represents evil to some degree in some form.

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : August 13, 2011 4:46 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: