Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Punk rocker describes his return to faith

Stylteralmaldo
(@stylteralmaldo)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I thought fellow NarniaWebbers would find this article interesting. There's a CS Lewis connection and for those of us who grew up in the 1980's, a "Clash" connection.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/20 ... tholicism/

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)

Topic starter Posted : March 13, 2014 8:38 am
Stylteralmaldo
(@stylteralmaldo)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Anyway......

I thought it is good to know that CS Lewis' writings are still inspiring others in their faith journeys. From the article:

Chimes describes stumbling across a copy of CS Lewis’s book Mere Christianity at a car boot sale in 1998 and reading about Lewis’s analysis of the sin of pride.

Chimes said: “There was a chapter entitled The Great Sin. The great sin is pride, the tendency we all have to think we are better than someone else. I had always known that pride existed but wondered why it’s referred to as the great sin. That was until I realised the significance of pride as an obstacle to spiritual growth.

“The problem with pride is that those who have the most see it the least. CS Lewis said that if you have done some good works, read some spiritual books, perhaps practiced meditation or given up drinking and you take pride in that, thinking that you are more spiritual than someone else, then Satan will rub his hands with glee, because he will have caught you in a spiritual trap from which escape is very difficult.”

He continued: “As I read those words I had the chilling awareness that I have been in just such a trap for twenty years. I put the book down and went to sit on the sofa. I was reeling from the realisation that I’d been in a trap for all of that time. Within minutes I was having the most extraordinary experience of my life.”

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)

Topic starter Posted : March 26, 2014 8:16 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Wow, NOW I need to read the rest of it!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : March 26, 2014 6:58 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Thanks for sharing that article; I thought it was very interesting and uplifting to read!

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that it was about the drummer of The Clash, because I actually really like a few of their songs and I've known about the band for several years now. (I can thank my brother for that. ;)))

It was fascinating to get a deeper look at the personal journey of one of the band members, and it's wonderful that he's returned to the faith and found so much self-knowledge along the way. It is really amazing how Lewis's writings continue to touch so many lives in such positive ways! :)

Posted : March 26, 2014 7:31 pm
Share: