Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Christmas in Narnia?

Page 1 / 2
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

Tumnas talks about Christmas when he meets Lucy in LWW. Does that mean that Christ is in Narnia? That doesn't make sense as Aslan is Christ really, so it doesn't make sense to have him in two forms in one world. IDK, I just thought that was an interesting thought. Any ideas?

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

Topic starter Posted : August 2, 2010 12:39 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

Frank and Helen likely brought the celebration of Christmas into that world, when they were established as King and Queen. They would have passed those traditions on to their children, who (after they married Dryads and Naiads) would have continued to pass it on, until it became a holiday.

Christ isn't in Narnia; only through Aslan.

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

Posted : August 2, 2010 4:21 pm
aragorn2
(@aragorn2)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Digory,
that can't be the case because Father Christmas is there, and I'm sure he wasn't sent there by Aslan. I don't think He would be cruel enough to deprive this world of Christmas just so another world could have a holiday that totally pointless.

Posted : September 29, 2010 6:06 am
Lilygloves
(@lilygloves)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I guess since Aslan has another name in our world, it could ( and I think most of us assume) that refers to Jesus. Ergo (ooh, fancy word! :) ), Christmas could be when Jesus/Aslan was born.

Posted : March 28, 2011 11:17 am
puddleglum32
(@puddleglum32)
NarniaWeb Nut

Yes thats a good idea Lilygloves.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!

Posted : March 28, 2011 11:31 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

I don't think there's any perfect explanation for this. DigoryKirke's reasoning for the tradition entering Narnia makes sense, but the existence of a real Father Christmas in Narnia does not. This was one of the reasons why J. R. R. Tolkien didn't like the Narnia books very much - he felt that they borrowed too much from previous myths and legends.

Apparently Dr. Michael Ward wrote about why Father Christmas is there in his book The Narnia Code, but I haven't gotten around to reading that yet.

Posted : March 29, 2011 7:45 pm
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

I'm thinking maybe the reason why C.S. Lewis put Father Christmas in LWW is because of the circumstances under which he wrote LWW. When he wrote LWW, it was not supposed to be a first book in a whole series (he wasn't planning on making any more at the time), or even a literary masterpiece. At the time it was just a gift for a young friend of his named Lucy. And little Lucy probably would have liked to see Father Christmas in the story. :)

~Riella

Posted : March 29, 2011 8:07 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Ithilwen's suggestion that LWW is a one-off book and thus contains issues like this makes sense. (Another I've heard mentioned is Mrs. Beaver's sewing machine, when there's not much in the way of similar technology mentioned elsewhere in the books).

Tesseract, a friend is reading The Narnia Code right now, and we've had some discussions about it. I'm not as conversant with it as I would be if I were reading it, but you're right that the presence of Father Christmas is significant to Ward's assertion that the planet Jupiter governs LWW - and what more jovial (related to Jove - Jupiter) figure than Father Christmas? (Though the European vision of Father Christmas is somewhat more somber than the stereotypical modern Santa Claus).

That Frank and Helen brought Christmas into Narnia with them makes sense as a retcon explanation of why Narnians would know about Christmas in later generations.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : March 30, 2011 4:22 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

I'm thinking maybe the reason why C.S. Lewis put Father Christmas in LWW is because of the circumstances under which he wrote LWW. When he wrote LWW, it was not supposed to be a first book in a whole series (he wasn't planning on making any more at the time), or even a literary masterpiece. At the time it was just a gift for a young friend of his named Lucy. And little Lucy probably would have liked to see Father Christmas in the story. :)

Yes, you are right. Lucy Barfield would have expected Father Christmas in the story. And no, C.S.Lewis may not have originally intended to write six more books. I believe he planned to stop with VDT in any case.

Posted : April 1, 2011 10:59 am
veggiet_sam
(@veggiet_sam)
NarniaWeb Newbie

The thing that I've always thought about father Christmas is how CS Lewis seems to simply assume that he's real and doesn't really give any indication that he is locked into the world of narnia, or our world (CS lewis' version of our world in the story.) We know that he was prevented from entering narnia in the 100 year winter, whether or not that meant Narnia the world or 'Narnia' the country. If anything I think this adds more to the mythology of Santa Claus than it does to Narnia, whether or not Lewis intended it to do so. Not only is FC real, he can travel all over the world in one night, and can also travel across the wood between the worlds. Which is a fascinating Idea. If I were to embellish upon the myth I'd say that at Christ's birth, Aslan (the Christ-figure) gave a spiritual or mortal being special abilities to bring joy around Christmas to all world's, probably even Charn.... (This is all just speculation on my part, based on how Lewis phrases certain things)

Posted : April 19, 2011 7:12 pm
Pepper
(@pepper)
NarniaWeb Regular

"...told you he was real."

One of my favorite lines of all time.

"Each day we are becoming a creature of splendid glory or one of unthinkable horror."
- C.S. Lewis
"There was a man called Clive Staples Lewis, and he almost deserved it."
- E.C. Scrubb

Posted : April 20, 2011 8:25 am
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
(@dernhelm_of_rohan)
NarniaWeb Nut

Perhaps FC and the holiday itself were put in Narnia as a way to let the children have something they could relate with, something not entirely out of their experiance, while at the same time, find that in Narnia, legends and myths are real. After all, a good story sometimes teaches more than a sermon, especially if it happens to be true.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic

Posted : July 12, 2011 2:48 am
Lilygloves
(@lilygloves)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I was thinking about this last night and I remembered the famous quote from VDT, "In your world I have another name". Many of us understand that Aslan represents Jesus. If Aslan is Jesus, then they both exist but in different form. So Christmas is still when Jesus was born, but Jesus is Aslan in Narnia. (does this make any sense to you??)

Posted : August 30, 2011 12:22 pm
Silvan_Haven
(@silvan_haven)
NarniaWeb Regular

I suppose when you travel the world in a day and do so in many diferent worlds, things like the laws of physics dont realy matter.

"The road the hell is paved with good intentions.

Heh,

So is the read to Heaven."

Posted : August 30, 2011 3:15 pm
JohnBrownsage
(@johnbrownsage)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Well, if you understand the history of Christmas and the winter solstice festivals it came from (Jesus' real birthday is unknown of course), you can see it might be universal and so appropriate for Narnia. That's especially true during the perpetual winter of the White Witch, because the winter solstice (i.e. Christmas) signals winter's end: from that point on, the days grow longer, and spring is coming. So "never Christmas" was really part of the same evil spell as "always winter." And the coming of Father Christmas was the signal of spring returning, which of course it soon did.

Posted : September 3, 2011 7:14 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: